The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nolan is just easier to pick on at the moment because he directed a major franchise and his non franchise films have done insane box office numbers. He's also younger than the directors you listed (who are also well known and whose box offices numbers are impressive as well) and due to that people would expect that he should be cognizant of his casting.

As a POC myself and that too a woman of color, it can be disappointing when your fave doesn't make more diverse choices in casting but at the same time he should be able to work with who he wants to work with

Michaelf2225 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:38 pm
he's a master filmmaker who's never made a less than great movie people have to complain about something
This is quite subjective and certainly not a consensus among critics/cinephiles but yes most people on this site agree with that.
Artemis wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:39 pm
As a POC myself and that too a woman of color, it can be disappointing when your fave doesn't make more diverse choices in casting but at the same time he should be able to work with who he wants to work with
Like I said, I think he’s a lot more mindful of it now why it’s important and don’t think you will be disappointed going forward unless it’s another situation like Dunkirk.

Artemis wrote:
Nolan is just easier to pick on at the moment because he directed a major franchise and his non franchise films have done insane box office numbers. He's also younger than the directors you listed (who are also well known and whose box offices numbers are impressive as well) and due to that people would expect that he should be cognizant of his casting.

I'm all for more diversity, especially in blockbuster/ Superhero films. But, I agree a director should be able to pick an actor he/she thinks will be best for a role.
That's what I think happened with Bane. I don't think Nolan purposely wanted to change the character from Latino to white. He just really wanted Tom Hardy in the role.

Chris “if ain’t white, it ain’t right” Nolan

Tim Burton and Wes Anderson also get criticised often for this.

Master Virgo wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:50 pm
Tim Burton and Wes Anderson also get criticised often for this.
Tim Burton handled that criticism in the worst way. Talk about an oof moment

^ True story

Artemis wrote:
yeah. the solution to diversifying voices isn't to enforce a checklist of roles for POC and women who pass an arbitrary metric like the bechdel test. the solution to diversifying voices is, well, diverse voices.

We should not hold Nolan "accountable" for sticking to his creative vision any more than Scorsese or Villenueve or Fincher or Malick or... "hip" filmmakers like Luca Guadagnino, Noah Baumbach, Greta Gerwig, Wes Anderson. More diversity in these movies would be awesome, but the solution isn't to hold a shotgun to them either.

What we should do is financially and vocally support movies made by, or are about, POC and women. Barry Jenkins, Steve McQueen, Jordan Peele, Ryan Coogler, Ava DuVernay, Lynne Ramsay, Justin Lin, Kathryn Bigelow, Chloé Zhao, Claire Dennis, Coralie Fargeat, Jon M. Chu, Lorene Scafaria, the list is long and won't get longer unless we spend money to support their work. That's the answer.

-Vader

I did not say that at all in regards to Nolan’s vision. I was referring to the urban comment from one of his casting directors. We can all agree that never should have happened. Speaking of misunderstanding what someone posts...

Allstar wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 10:07 pm
I did not say that at all in regards to Nolan’s vision. I was referring to the urban comment from one of his casting directors. We can all agree that never should have happened. Speaking of misunderstanding what someone posts...
you just said you don't blame people holding nolan accountable when he has a bad track record hiring POC in his movies...

-Vader