Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 7:51 pm
Phoenix's emotions are caught off guard to me. Dude looks genuinely upset, but like he's being forced to play it off like a joke because it's too late. The guy doesn't seem like the kind to not like seeing himself act, and seeing that was probably genuinely uncomfortable for him.

When Phoenix "joked" about his publicist handling it the next day, that genuinely happened today.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vb5y ... mmy-kimmel

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 7:53 pm
Bacon wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 7:51 pm
Phoenix's emotions are caught off guard to me. Dude looks genuinely upset, but like he's being forced to play it off like a joke because it's too late. The guy doesn't seem like the kind to not like seeing himself act, and seeing that was probably genuinely uncomfortable for him.

When Phoenix "joked" about his publicist handling it the next day, that genuinely happened today.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vb5y ... mmy-kimmel

-Vader
See my other edit. I was reading the article while typing. Wouldn't be surprised if they're saying it was a hoax so people drop it asap. Kind of a conspiracy theory thing but when he says that movies get intense, the way he says it is convincingly delicate. Phoenix is no stranger to being convincing though.

-late night shows are carefully planned ahead of time
-late night shows are only provided clips by the studio, extremely rare for actor not to know what's being shown (is there a single recorded time of that happening unless they chose not to know?)
-phoenix has history playing games with late night hosts
-he is an actor
-they later say it was planned all along

idk man the math checks out

-Vader

I remember Tom Hardy being genuinely mad one time that Jonathan Ross played a clip of him from the 90's. He obviously played it off since it's his job, but he wasn't thrilled.

Regardless of how one might feel about the film, I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that Phoenix delivers a GREAT performance.

Bacon wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 6:57 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 7:51 am
Dude screw Kimmel. Phoenix looks like he's on the verge of tears toward the end that something so personal was shown to the public. What an uncool thing to pull on his show. :|
Wow The guy looks tired and also embarrassed about that video. I agree, that's too personal, specially when you're playing such an intense and complex character as the Joker, but at least he knew how to make fun of it

Numbers wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:18 pm
Regardless of how one might feel about the film, I'm pretty sure everyone will agree that Phoenix delivers a GREAT performance.
Is he as great as Ledger or not? Because nothing he's ever done, even when he's been Oscar-worthy, was as great as Ledger in TDK. But I have a feeling I know the answer to that, having skimmed the reviews. :wave: We chant Maximus, but not Commodus, if you want to go there.

James Berardinelli 3.5/4 stars
"This is a disturbing film, a journey into the heart of a damaged man’s psychosis. In many ways, it’s more of a horror film than an action/adventure offering. Even Nolan’s The Dark Knight, the crown jewel of the 21st century DC/Warner Brothers cinematic catalog, traced a more traditional comic book movie template than Joker. Within this genre, there has never been anything quite like it."
http://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/joker

Tourmie wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 11:07 pm
Numbers wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:18 pm
Is he as great as Ledger or not? Because nothing he's ever done, even when he's been Oscar-worthy, was as great as Ledger in TDK. But I have a feeling I know the answer to that, having skimmed the reviews. :wave: We chant Maximus, but not Commodus, if you want to go there.
Not really comparable. Ledger's Joker feels more.. joker-ish if that makes sense. Whereas Phoenix does his best Travis Bickle impression.

there's a tiny teeny possibility I'm seeing this tonightt I want it