Ad Astra (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Really taken back by how much praise this received. Outside of Pitt and Some of Hoytemas best work this was empty.

I need to see this again. Maybe I’ll like it more the second time.
Visually inspired by 2001 (Van Hoytema’s work is incredible - give this man all the awards), and some elements from Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049.
Kinda disliked the voiceover/internal monologue and some editorial choices.

Much to admire about the film - the cinematography, Brad Pitt's performance, the philosophical tone of the piece - but ultimately it felt lacking. Would still recommend it, but it's not in the same league as 'Interstellar ' or '2001 A Space Odysey'.

This was okay?? Not really sure where all those raves out of Venice were coming from.

Forum Pro
Law
Durden wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 3:44 pm
Really taken back by how much praise this received. Outside of Pitt and Some of Hoytemas best work this was empty.
fuck

I really liked it! Ad Astra is the anti-Interstellar in theme and intent, despite following a very similar structure and sharing major influences.

It's a very messy movie (it should be 20 minutes longer) that has a lot less to say than it perhaps thinks it does.

I wonder how much of the voiceover was changed/added by Disney. It's designed as stream of consciousness poetry as in Malick, but a lot of the VO is subtext as text in the worst way.

PS setting the expectations this is anything like 2001 is just gunna mislead people. kinda baffled people keep saying its similar in any way.

-Vader

AhmadAli95 wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 5:45 pm
Visually inspired by 2001 (Van Hoytema’s work is incredible - give this man all the awards), and some elements from Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049.
Just saw this film. This was the first thing that came to my mind.
Last edited by ThePhantomTerror on September 21st, 2019, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think the only connection to 2001 are the visuals - while it takes some inspiration from the two Blade Runner movies in terms of plot devices and the voiceover/monologue, which to me seems more like BR than Malick.

I loved it. I can acknowledge it does not have too much thematically on its mind, but what it does touch on can be viewed from so many perspectives, and it's all right up my alley. Gray obviously is fascinated by this toxic sense of striving for self-purpose, and I love how the further out he takes Pitt's character, the more introspective the movie becomes. And the tackling of being with someone who demands isolation is something I'm kind of experiencing right now, so that really hit close to home for me. Hoyte be gunning for that cinematography nom, yo!

Vader182 wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 2:03 am
It's designed as stream of consciousness poetry as in Malick, but a lot of the VO is subtext as text in the worst way.
This is exactly what I said after watching it last night. I enjoyed it a lot but it was messy indeed. It is a lovely addition to my space movie fantasy addiction