Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Criterion Channel is going to have a George Cukor list next month and like I need to fangirl over George Cukor.

I've only seen 5 of his movies out of his prolific filmography and I've loved them all. A lot of what I like about him is how he handles his female characters and the interaction between his characters.

One thing that always stands out to me is how he uses the close up. In Dinner at Eight there's this one scene where a doctor and his wife are discussing the doctor's extra marital affairs and the close ups he did on the doctor and the wife made the scene so much more impactful and really leaves a lasting impression on you. If you didn't have the close ups, it would be just another conversation, but the close ups give the scene a lot more depth. The wife is playing it cool with what she says but through the close up you can see that she is hurt.

The way he jumps from one genre to the next is impressive too. Gaslight and My Fair Lady are two totally different films. One is a terrorizing film about a woman's fear that she is going mad and the other is a film about a girl in poverty who wants to be accepted by high society. Two totally different characters, two different plots, but all the same they are so impactful and you feel for the characters the same. You want them to succeed. I feel like he can spark empathy in even the most hardened of movie fans.

tl;dr george cukor is lit af okay?

Have you seen Philadelphia's story? It's really great. Stewart+Grant+Katharine Hepburn, maybe the greatest trio of lead in cinema history!
He was indeed great at directing actresses: it is said that after being fired, he kept advising Vivien Leigh and Olivia de Havilland on GWTW (and I don't have enough superlatives to describe Leigh's performance in this film.)

Demoph wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 11:21 am
Have you seen Philadelphia's story? It's really great. Stewart+Grant+Katharine Hepburn, maybe the greatest trio of lead in cinema history!
He was indeed great at directing actresses: it is said that after being fired, he kept advising Vivien Leigh and Olivia de Havilland on GWTW (and I don't have enough superlatives to describe Leigh's performance in this film.)
I have not see that one yet. I think it's one of the films coming to the Criterion Channel next month so I will for sure!

It's really nice that he was still friends with them after being fired. Hollywood is such a fickle town so hearing stories like that is a testament to how awesome he must have been.

Artemis wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 11:15 am
tl;dr george cukor is lit af okay?
Agreed wholeheartedly. My top 5 Cukors:

1. My Fair Lady
2. A Double Life
3. A Star is Born
4. Gaslight
5. The Philadelphia Story

I do find it funny that he was known as a Women's director... who happened to direct 3 actors to Oscars (Stewart, Colman, Harrison).

He's like a second-tier Wyler - never obtrusive, and you always get a high standard of performance.

My Fine Arts museum is having a Pre Code Hollywood Era film series going on and I am so overwhelmed by this schedule. https://www.mfah.org/calendar/series/cr ... e-pre-code

The only major costs are gas and parking but the ticket prices are $9 per film and that's not too bad. I want to prioritize the 35mm prints over digital.

I’m glad you guys are continuously updating this thread, keep up the good work I’ll try to contribute more.

Wow-wow-wow... hold up! Hold up...

You know how Cameron made those impressive double Linda Hamilton scenes in T2, when T1000 is impersonating her, look so damn real?

Linda Hamilton has a twin sister!!!

What the actual fuck. What’s next, Santa isn’t real?

The fine arts museum is showing Hausu Halloween weekend! I haven't seen this before so I'm super pumped for my first watch of this film to be on a big screen!