Ad Astra (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Dobson wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:51 am
antovolk wrote:
August 29th, 2019, 7:54 pm
Not that this is a quality indicator but quite a bit of trailer stuff - at least one big scene - deleted.
Can you tell us which one?
Pitt and Negga coming across some sort of party/orgy room. Maybe cut to keep it PG13?

antovolk wrote:
2am thoughts - loved it, gorgeous, far more pulpy than expected from Gray (it felt to me like his ode to not just Apoc Now/Conrad but Blade Runner, a bit 2001/Fifth Element in their vision of future in space, a bit of Equilibrium too) but at the same time maintains that arthouse feel...but you can feel he overtinkered with it. Not that this is a quality indicator but quite a bit of trailer stuff - at least one big scene - deleted. Those worried how much Fox had a had in this shouldn’t but...going off interviews, the ending (which Gray was on board with and isn’t at all studio ey really) and just basically going, you need to stop tinkering or you won’t make it in time for Venice. It needs a tad more breathing space in the first half...there’s a point at which it hits its groove nicely. I’m curious to see how it plays a second time tho

PS God bless Gray, he came over to the public screening venue to introduce the film and poo pooed the pomposity of the big official red carpet ones - ‘this is cinema!’
How is the Richter x Balfe score? I suspect the Richter parts sound gorgeous but how does the Balfe stuff come in? I’m most worried about that tbh

anarchy wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 6:23 am
antovolk wrote:
2am thoughts - loved it, gorgeous, far more pulpy than expected from Gray (it felt to me like his ode to not just Apoc Now/Conrad but Blade Runner, a bit 2001/Fifth Element in their vision of future in space, a bit of Equilibrium too) but at the same time maintains that arthouse feel...but you can feel he overtinkered with it. Not that this is a quality indicator but quite a bit of trailer stuff - at least one big scene - deleted. Those worried how much Fox had a had in this shouldn’t but...going off interviews, the ending (which Gray was on board with and isn’t at all studio ey really) and just basically going, you need to stop tinkering or you won’t make it in time for Venice. It needs a tad more breathing space in the first half...there’s a point at which it hits its groove nicely. I’m curious to see how it plays a second time tho

PS God bless Gray, he came over to the public screening venue to introduce the film and poo pooed the pomposity of the big official red carpet ones - ‘this is cinema!’
How is the Richter x Balfe score? I suspect the Richter parts sound gorgeous but how does the Balfe stuff come in? I’m most worried about that tbh
Honestly couldn't really tell the difference? I'm guessing the action scene cues were Balfe and if they were, he made them restrained enough to work with Richter as a whole.

BPitty is still a snack

Gray told a funny Nolan story about this film at a Q&A tonight (he prefaced with 'I think I can talk about this now' lol). Basically (part of) the reason he got Max Richter to do the score was - Nolan/Zimmer beat him to the punch with the organ score on Interstellar :lol: (he explicitly didn't want to do classical like Kubrick, electronic like Vangelis or a typical symphonic score)

antovolk wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 4:35 pm
Gray told a funny Nolan story about this film at a Q&A tonight (he prefaced with 'I think I can talk about this now' lol). Basically (part of) the reason he got Max Richter to do the score was - Nolan/Zimmer beat him to the punch with the organ score on Interstellar :lol: (he explicitly didn't want to do classical like Kubrick, electronic like Vangelis or a typical symphonic score)
How lucky you were to meet him ! I plan to do the same in October in Paris.

Did he briefly mention some eventual futur projects he's working on or not ? I highly doubt but we never know. Thanks in advance ;)

Nolan62 wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 6:02 pm
How lucky you were to meet him ! I plan to do the same in October in Paris.

Did he briefly mention some eventual futur projects he's working on or not ? I highly doubt but we never know. Thanks in advance ;)
He didn't, but I believe he did talk about his next film Armageddon Time in interviews for this.

Ace

Forum Pro
Law