The Irishman (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
3.5 hours? Wow, then it must have enough superhero content and universe building to justify its length. Is Spider-Man joining Netflix now?

Knowing me and my recent habit of falling asleep during late night movie watching, I'll probably be watching this all week.

Allstar wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 3:43 am
Nobody here said it’s too long, we are surprised, well because this is the longest mainstream movie in two decades. We won’t know if it’s too long till we see it. I have faith in Scorsese and Thelma.
:think:
radewart wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:08 pm
I'm sorry that's too long. Longer doesn't always mean better. I love Scorsese, but both the "Silence" and even "Wolf of Wall Street" could of lost 30 mins to their benefit.

"Silence" probably could of lost closer to 50....

I would have watched a 4-5 hour cut of Wolf.

ThePhantomTerror wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 2:33 am
radewart wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 2:06 am
ThePhantomTerror wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 12:31 am

Except for the ending and some minor changes, Silence is a very faithful adaptation of the novel.
Yea, but a movie doesn't have to be completely faithful adaptation to be good. Some of the best pick and choose the key aspects of the work.
I don't disagree with this, but I also think that Silence is one of Scorsese's best.
Hell yea it is. There’s dozens of us!

Also hell yea 3.30 runtime, gimme

Seeing this in theatre first, obviously, then hoping they'll stream this in HDR on Netflix

A 210 min Scorsese film

I'm keeping my Netflix subscription forever

We are not worthy

Being a streaming release is probably the best way to go for this feature. If it was strictly a theater release, there's no way it would be profitable with that budget and that runtime. But Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers really and seems only interested in Oscar prestige, so if the movie achieves that it's a win for Scorsese.

I wonder if we'll ever get a "Hateful Eight" episodic type release that Tarantino did with Netflix that would add even more footage, but release it as a miniseries

radewart wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 4:04 pm
Being a streaming release is probably the best way to go for this feature. If it was strictly a theater release, there's no way it would be profitable with that budget and that runtime. But Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers really and seems only interested in Oscar prestige, so if the movie achieves that it's a win for Scorsese.

I wonder if we'll ever get a "Hateful Eight" episodic type release that Tarantino did with Netflix that would add even more footage, but release it as a miniseries
I think the runtime hurts its Oscar chances a lot tbh.