Ludwig Göransson will compose Tenet

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Master Virgo wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 8:26 pm
That freaking music from the teaser just turns me on, Jesus fuck.
40 seconds just ain't enough. If they release the trailer online, there is a chance we find out who produced and hence get the full track sooner rather than later...

I figured the teaser would come online, so it wouldn't be necessary, but I could try re-creating it...

TeddyBlass wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 11:39 am
I figured the teaser would come online, so it wouldn't be necessary, but I could try re-creating it...
OMG plz plz plz

I hope it will be Ludwigs best work, he is already great composer but he must raise his game up, zimmer gives a soul to nolans movies, his scores are always memorable(well of course he is hans freaking zimmer)

TeddyBlass wrote:
Please do.

TeddyBlass wrote:
No, it won't, so chop chop.

Incase anyone missed, Ludwig is also composing The Mandalorian (star wars tv series) which dropped their first trailer: (I guess the trailer includes his work)

https://youtu.be/aOC8E8z_ifw

Ludwig is on fire! :clap:

always_smiling wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:23 pm
Incase anyone missed, Ludwig is also composing The Mandalorian (star wars tv series) which dropped their first trailer: (I guess the trailer includes his work)

I really, really like it.

always_smiling wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:23 pm

If thats really him in the trailer then f@#k yeah! Sounds great and now I see why Nolan chose him. :clap:

So after downloading the better quality version of the teaser, I've been listening more closely to its music. There are some really interesting things going on in terms of rhythm that defintely make me excited for what Goransson may bring to the table for the score. If the film's narrative indeed deals with time manipulation in some way, it certainly invites a compositional approach that plays with time and rhythm in creative ways.

Not sure how many here are familiar with the composer Steve Reich, but one of the things his music is famous for is the use of a phasing technique - where at least two parts of a musical texture will play a repetitive pattern in unison at first, but then one gradually becomes displaced and out of sync with the other, creating all kinds of cool new patterns. Sometimes this is done by periodically inserting an extra note (or temporarily removing one) into one instrumental part, which shifts it by a single beat.

Well this is sort of similar to what happens in the music in the Tenet teaser. What's different here though is that there's only one part (the fast synthesizer line) playing the rhythmic pattern, so when an extra beat is added or subtracted, it's barely discernible because there isn't another part that plays the same stable pattern for it to conflict with... instead you sort of aurally adjust without realizing it and think the pattern stays the same the whole time.

What cues the rhythmic shifts though are the loud percussive hits that seem obviously out of sync with the underlying synth part... these happen when the tagline text appears, when Nolan and JDW's names come up, and finally when we see the film's title first appear.