Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
People root for Marvel, DC, etc. because they like their movies or comics over the other companies, what is so wrong with that?

Aren't we all here because we like movies made by this really rich guy who almost exclusively makes big budget PG-13 movies (despite his fandom's obsession with R-rated stuff only when it comes to other studios) for larger audience?

Master Virgo wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 4:08 pm
People root for Marvel, DC, etc. because they like their movies or comics over the other companies, what is so wrong with that?

Aren't we all here because we like movies made by this really rich guy who almost exclusively makes big budget PG-13 movies (despite his fandom's obsession with R-rated stuff only when it comes to other studios) for larger audience?
It just personally makes me uncomfortable now the more leftist I've gotten I guess. When I was liberal I didn't care so much.

I think comic book movies and nerdom kind of showcase the worst of hyper/late stage capitalism. I don't even read comic books anymore or even participate in the fandoms because I get such a high level of existential dread and i hate it.

I will still love Nolan's Batman trilogy no doubt but I guess overall I don't like what the fandom and culture has become if that makes any sense.

Sony owns the rights, they get to decide what to do with the Spiderman character and if the conditions of a partnership with Disney are no longer to their liking, they are perfectly within their rights to say 'naa, we're good'.

Artemis wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 4:22 pm

It just personally makes me uncomfortable now the more leftist I've gotten I guess. When I was liberal I didn't care so much.

I think comic book movies and nerdom kind of showcase the worst of hyper/late stage capitalism. I don't even read comic books anymore or even participate in the fandoms because I get such a high level of existential dread and i hate it.

I will still love Nolan's Batman trilogy no doubt but I guess overall I don't like what the fandom and culture has become if that makes any sense.
I dunno. not sure its a sign of 'late stage capitalism' that people are territorial over stuff they like and want more of. as much as this group of entitled peter pan syndrome man children crying into the void is a relatively new thing, the core behaviors here are definitely a darwinian thing leftover from when we were apes.

i guess im saying this was almost inevitable given our evolution + anonymity online + online

-Vader

Batfan175 wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 1:30 am
Sony owns the rights, they get to decide what to do with the Spiderman character and if the conditions of a partnership with Disney are no longer to their liking, they are perfectly within their rights to say 'naa, we're good'.
omg i'm agreeing with batfan :lol: :P

Master Virgo wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 2:09 pm
What is this "end of contact" thing you keep talking about? I don't understand. End of contract means no way two parties can ever work with each other again? Even if their last partnership resulted in billion dollar lvl of money?
Downey and Evans were canceled at the peak of their popularity, for the sake of storytelling. What other studio has ever done that other than WB/Nolan?
Point being you can't complain about Marvel not killing characters for real and then complain about them killing characters for real at the same time. Doesn't really make any sense.
Well one party would probably want to continue minting money resulting from the partnership till kingdom comes.
We can only speculate here but Downey and Evans probably were done with MCU no matter the amount on paychecks. Evans more so than Downey if I had to guess. They were not cancelled, they were done.

Evans' contract ended with Infinity War. He extended it by a grand total of one movie to include Endgame. Downey extended his contract 3 times with Endgame being the last one.

Of course they might still return for a small role in future movies. I'm not saying they're done forever. But for now they have no contract with Marvel.

Hemsworth probably didn't want to leave like them and he's still part of MCU.
Point being you got... hurt? offended? annoyed? by a snarky comment that you went back to an year old post to 'disprove' his joke.

Artemis wrote:
You're not liberal anymore but more leftist? Sorry for my confusion but where do you stand?

Allstar wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 4:06 am
Artemis wrote:
You're not liberal anymore but more leftist? Sorry for my confusion but where do you stand?
i’m pretty sure artemis is still very much a ‘darn librul’. Being a leftist instead of a “liberal” (classical liberal, libertarian) means on the spectrum you go even further to the left than a typical liberal

why is america so confusing with its politics

Pratham wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 3:47 am
Master Virgo wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 2:09 pm
What is this "end of contact" thing you keep talking about? I don't understand. End of contract means no way two parties can ever work with each other again? Even if their last partnership resulted in billion dollar lvl of money?
Downey and Evans were canceled at the peak of their popularity, for the sake of storytelling. What other studio has ever done that other than WB/Nolan?
Point being you can't complain about Marvel not killing characters for real and then complain about them killing characters for real at the same time. Doesn't really make any sense.
Well one party would probably want to continue minting money resulting from the partnership till kingdom comes.
We can only speculate here but Downey and Evans probably were done with MCU no matter the amount on paychecks. Evans more so than Downey if I had to guess. They were not cancelled, they were done.

Evans' contract ended with Infinity War. He extended it by a grand total of one movie to include Endgame. Downey extended his contract 3 times with Endgame being the last one.

Of course they might still return for a small role in future movies. I'm not saying they're done forever. But for now they have no contract with Marvel.

Hemsworth probably didn't want to leave like them and he's still part of MCU.
Point being you got... hurt? offended? annoyed? by a snarky comment that you went back to an year old post to 'disprove' his joke.
Didn't Downey Jr recently said that "he's more than Iron Man" or something like that? I also think the actors were done with it. That's not to say they didn't like it anymore or didn't deliver good work (Downey's last was his best imo) but I think they just really wanted to move on to other things. Hell, they've played these characters ten or close to ten years. I also think, story-wise, it was the best they could've done so it all came together rather nicely.

I also don't understand Virgo's attitude atm

Ruth wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 5:51 am
Allstar wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 4:06 am
Artemis wrote:
i’m pretty sure artemis is still very much a ‘darn librul’. Being a leftist instead of a “liberal” (classical liberal, libertarian) means on the spectrum you go even further to the left than a typical liberal

why is america so confusing with its politics
Because America is a hell hole.

But basically I'm further left than most democrats.