Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Disney was trying to get 50% of box office revenue from a film they didn't finance. That's definitely being greedy.

Considering they’re the sole reason these movies are as successful as they are and Sony was burning money before Spidey was in the MCU, that seems like a fair business deal.

In a way I'm sorta glad because of how bad Far From Home is, but also what the fuck kind of luck does this franchise have dude?

Hilariously tragic.
Last edited by Cilogy on August 20th, 2019, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

at this rate we'll never get a fourth spiderman 2

Bacon wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 5:16 pm
Disney was trying to get 50% of box office revenue from a film they didn't finance. That's definitely being greedy.
What makes you think that? The article talks about a 50/50 co-financing deal Disney wanted for future movies.

Dobson wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 5:41 pm
Bacon wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 5:16 pm
What makes you think that? The article talks about a 50/50 co-financing deal Disney wanted for future movies.
I read it incorrectly, but I still think this kind of deal raises some legitimate questions and concerns for Sony. I don't like Sony at all, but the article now says Sony reps said Sony tried to compromise and Disney turned them all down.

Allstar wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 5:28 pm
Considering they’re the sole reason these movies are as successful as they are and Sony was burning money before Spidey was in the MCU, that seems like a fair business deal.
I mean, Venom made tons of money and that's a side character from the Spiderman comics. Also, Sony made Into the Spiderverse, a critically and financially successful film. So I don't think Sony without Disney is totally helpless when it comes to making Spiderman-related films.

I bet that this was probably a move by Disney attempting to get the rights back to the character completely, one deal at a time. Their greed will now contribute to their loss.

BlairCo wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 8:05 pm
I bet that this was probably a move by Disney attempting to get the rights back to the character completely, one deal at a time. Their greed will now contribute to their loss.
Absolutely. Upgrading their cut and co-financing 50/50 with Sony for a few more films would most likely be their first step in trying to coerce Sony into a further deal. They're already trying to use a "you're nothing without me" attitude and a 50/50 co-financing deal would seal that.

Also, Zach Stentz made a very good point. He said that 100% of 800 - 900 million is still more than 50% of 1 - 1.2 billion.