Knives Out (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
July 2nd, 2019, 12:21 pm
I was hoping Rian would apply the lessons he learned on The Last Jedi, his best and most cinematic movie, to Knives Out. It doesn't seem like he did.

He's a peculiar filmmaker who writes very plotty movies whose plots trip over themselves, and his default visuals seem to be "slightly stylish coverage" with the occasional strong visual idea.

You get that a lot in all of his movies, including TLJ. Fingers crossed anyway.

-Vader
I agree with this. Maybe he needs a co-writer?

What are some small whodunnit films that look cinematic to you guys? I do agree that this film doesn't look as cinematic but I'd love to see examples of what you guys really like. Also I just need to see more whodunnit films overall.

interested in what you guys mean by 'not cinematic'

-it looks like TV. why?
-the trailer is made mostly of overlit medium shots
-extreme use of out of focus backgrounds and in focus foreground, IE how many TV shows create variance between shots. GOT does it all the time, Sopranos, etc.
-RJs composition feels close to "coverage" and just stuck a camera in a logical place without dressing it up with shadow / color / geometry within the frame.
-likewise, frequently there's one shots of actors placed in center frame without much else in the frame
-the group shots don't block actors dynamically.

TLDR---Rian's framing is so unimaginative it usually looks closer to the visuals of TV & his movies are often overlit. think of the way he lit Rose / Finn ship interiors to and from Canto Bight. can't speak for anyone else, but that's what i meant.

-Vader

Wow, Johnson achieves it to even make such an amazing cast look blunt. I'm hoping for the best, will go see this just for Ana de Armas and Craig.

Looks entertaining but not nearly as exciting of a original project as Looper. I do disagree with Vader and his apprentice Michael however, I feel they’re being too critical over a trailer.

Allstar wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 12:28 am
Looks entertaining but not nearly as exciting of a original project as Looper. I do disagree with Vader and his apprentice Michael however, I feel they’re being too critical over a trailer.
under-appreciated comment. lmao. love both of ya'll tho.

Numbers wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 5:20 am
Allstar wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 12:28 am
under-appreciated comment. lmao. love both of ya'll tho.
Somebody had to fill the opening after Keegan graduated (stopped posting).