The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Reeves, so far, has been pulling all the right moves.

DCeU managed to become a complete fuckery.

So, my inner Bat-voice is trying to calm me down by saying this will be a sort of standalone Reeves trilogy, a la Nolan’s, and WB truly wants to commit to the idea of doing a separate thing from the MCU, break the connective tissue and just run with the properties and directorial visions.

Arguments pro? Not much, we’ll see.

I think Rogue One looked great for the most part but I still think it was too dull, too flat and too under lit in a lot of scenes. I remember seeing it in IMAX 3D (Xenon which didn't help at all). Let's see how this one will turn out.

I think Rogue One is the most gorgeous Star Wars film yet.

I think so too. Empire Strikes Back though... Would love to see that in 4K.

@Ahmed: idk, now that my country has gotten some Laser projectors and 4K (sometimes a combination) I don't see myself going to Xenon IMAX anymore... Fingers crossed they will ever switch to Laser but as of yet, they haven't.

Rogue One's blu-ray was already gorgeous and much better than xenon IMAX imo. They should release it in 4K though.

Rogue One looks great when it can, but is hampered by the CGI that consumes the movie as it progresses. It starts to become blurry and smudgy, unrealistic. The opening in the field looks fantastic. I don't know if Rogue One overall looks the best though. The Empire Strikes Back has great cinematography too, especially the fight between Luke and Vader. Old movies also suffer from a lack of conventional color grading. Color grading has almost become part of the grammar and expectations of movies so far, so that if you deviate from it, it looks cheap or old.

Well unrealistic and Star Wars overall is one thing lol but Rogue One looking blurry and smudgy? Far from it. Better yet, the picture is crystal clear all throughout. I recently saw it again and was even more impressed by the cinematography than I remembered (the first time I saw it being in Xenon IMAX).

Nomis wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 11:22 am
@Ahmed: idk, now that my country has gotten some Laser projectors and 4K (sometimes a combination) I don't see myself going to Xenon IMAX anymore... Fingers crossed they will ever switch to Laser but as of yet, they haven't.

Rogue One's blu-ray was already gorgeous and much better than xenon IMAX imo. They should release it in 4K though.
I personally love that screen even though it's Xenon. I saw Infinity War and Endgame in 2D there and it looked great and I really, really love their sound system. The last time I went there, I watched Dark Phoenix in 3D after seeing it the first time with in 3D (Laser) and I thought the difference is not that big. Xenon still looked decent.

The Laser screen opened in November 2017 and while it looks INCREDIBLE, the sound is not that great compared to Xenon for some reason. That's why I'm not sticking to one screen.

Edit: I feel like I contradicted myself a bit.
IMAX 2D Laser > IMAX 2D Xenon > IMAX 3D Laser > IMAX 3D Xenon
But 3D Xenon is not terrible by any means.
As to Rogue One, it does look good on BD. I think I have a problem with the grading. Visually it's a gorgeous film no doubt but they could've pushed the contrast a bit more.

allright

do your IMAX theatres have the 1.44 aspect ratio btw? There's literally not a single one that does in my country (all 1.90)

No, unfortunately. Both are 1.90:1 since they are located in shopping mall.
My only experience with 70mm is an IMAX Dome which plays documentaries.

Geoffrey wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 1:45 pm
Rogue One looks great when it can, but is hampered by the CGI that consumes the movie as it progresses. It starts to become blurry and smudgy, unrealistic. The opening in the field looks fantastic. I don't know if Rogue One overall looks the best though. The Empire Strikes Back has great cinematography too, especially the fight between Luke and Vader. Old movies also suffer from a lack of conventional color grading. Color grading has almost become part of the grammar and expectations of movies so far, so that if you deviate from it, it looks cheap or old.
Color grading makes movies look fake.