The Eternals (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth, you... warned him? How is that even possible after what he just said?

m4st4 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 1:54 am
It's times like this I'm thankful you guys didn't outright ban me for some of the bigoted, brainwashed shit I said back in the day.

Vader182 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 12:26 am
here's the thing i don't get. even back when i was a super religious bigoted guy, my whole thing was who gives a flying fuck if somebody's gay or not, whether that's in the media or in real life. it affects your life 0% other than exposure to someone different from you.

-Vader
Depends on the religion and who you're around. When you're surrounded by the people you trust and care most about telling you a lifestyle is wrong, regardless of whether it even affects you or anyone else, your brain inclines to align with what you're told. It's scary stuff. That being said, I'm almost positive Skyab has no excuse at this point.

No, I'm thinking what do we stand for round here anyway? If that sort of comment can pass under warning and couple days later dude is still here thinking he did nothing wrong... Completely against that. :judge:

Vader182 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 12:26 am
here's the thing i don't get. even back when i was a super religious bigoted guy, my whole thing was who gives a flying fuck if somebody's gay or not, whether that's in the media or in real life. it affects your life 0% other than exposure to someone different from you.

-Vader
When would you say you changed from this mindset and what caused it? I vaguely remember some arguments in the world affairs thread many years ago. I also believed you once identified as conservative (correct me if I’m wrong) and now it seems you’re anything but. I’m just wondering because you’ve always been a smart dude.

m4st4 wrote:
Tbh I could ban him and a couple of others right now, but I doubt it would be a good look since there’s been talks of implementing stricter rules regarding bans/warning, and the other dude (not pointing fingers) is already insinuating I’m “drawing the lines” where I want.
they’re not really wrong about that lmao

Ruth wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 2:47 am
m4st4 wrote:
Tbh I could ban him and a couple of others right now, but I doubt it would be a good look since there’s been talks of implementing stricter rules regarding bans/warning, and the other dude (not pointing fingers) is already insinuating I’m “drawing the lines” where I want.
they’re not really wrong about that lmao
Can't you just work it out via PM as mods? Who cares about the good look, you're mods. If there was a talk about implementing stricter rules then it's high time we start seeing it, otherwise it's just another shift in the circus.

i want to see if skylab can consider any of what we've said

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 3:06 am
i want to see if skylab can consider any of what we've said
This.

Bacon wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 2:06 am
Depends on the religion and who you're around. When you're surrounded by the people you trust and care most about telling you a lifestyle is wrong, regardless of whether it even affects you or anyone else, your brain inclines to align with what you're told. It's scary stuff. That being said, I'm almost positive Skyab has no excuse at this point.
But that's exactly the environment I was raised in and what I mean. Catholics by their own logic and faith, gay people aren't any more or less "evil" than, like, divorcees.

Religious folk never can totally explain their intense hatred of The Gays beyond some vague shit like "destroying the family" but statistically, divorcees do that waaaaaaay more than gay people soooooo

there's also loads of data that shows kids of divorce have way increased changes of mental health and emotional problems throughout life. the same is not true of kids in gay families. boy do they hate science when you point that out.

Allstar wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 2:35 am
When would you say you changed from this mindset and what caused it? I vaguely remember some arguments in the world affairs thread many years ago. I also believed you once identified as conservative (correct me if I’m wrong) and now it seems you’re anything but. I’m just wondering because you’ve always been a smart dude.
I had outspoken issues against the church's teachings and internal logic since early high school but I harbored aspects of that belief system up to halfway through college when I finally stopped going to church. Also: realizing how much of it is obviously bullshit and contradictory not just on a logic level of "Man in the Sky" but also inconsistent on moral level is major. J.C. would not be down with how the church treats "other."

I don't know what conservative even means anymore since far right is basically "the right" now, but these days I'm a socially liberal anti-imperialist who thinks the only issue really worth debating over is who will fight climate change hardest. Gay rights rule, but it won't rule very much if Pride Day 2050 is in a hellscape version of Earth after climate change has ravaged the planet. Keep your eye on the ball, leftists.

if you (or anyone here) wants to continue this convo about evolving belief systems in a more appropriate thread or PM go for it, it's an interesting topic

-Vader

this could be interesting, i hear zhao is a real talent

(sees who the DoP is)

ah, nevermind