Your Favorite Directors

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 11:00 am
Well, I think Alex Garland is one to watch. I really liked Ex_Machina but them he improved himself with Annihilation which I think is a pretty faultless film. He's a talented writer and director. It's pretty cool that he's working on a TV series now. I hope either he or Boyle directs 28 Months Later if that really gets off the ground.
Yeah. Sucks that he's moving to TV. His cinematic flair is fantastic.

Ex Machina > Annihilation though

Allstar wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 5:58 pm
Completely agree with you.

Allstar wrote:
Couldn't agree more.

Allstar wrote:
They are equal to me. 1A and 1B

i love a lot of lumet and polanski can be terrific (two of my favorite movies and many more that are great), just not top-shelf material.

i don't have a huge fondness for scorsese either despite loving much of his work.

-Vader

LelekPL wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 11:46 am
As for some other modern favorites you cannot not mention Tarantino, both Andersons, Cuaron or Fincher (if he's still making movies :P ).
Lol, that changed quickly. Good to hear Fincher's back, even if with Netflix.

Bacon wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Nomis wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 11:00 am
Well, I think Alex Garland is one to watch. I really liked Ex_Machina but them he improved himself with Annihilation which I think is a pretty faultless film. He's a talented writer and director. It's pretty cool that he's working on a TV series now. I hope either he or Boyle directs 28 Months Later if that really gets off the ground.
Yeah. Sucks that he's moving to TV. His cinematic flair is fantastic.
Well I think it's also interesting but yeah, I'd love it if he'd direct films again after.

Vader182 wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 9:30 pm
i love a lot of lumet and polanski can be terrific (two of my favorite movies and many more that are great), just not top-shelf material.

i don't have a huge fondness for scorsese either despite loving much of his work.

-Vader
Totally agree with the Scorsese sentiment; I find myself difficultly separating love for movies and love for artists. For example I love all of Bong Joon-ho's movies but I find it hard to call him a favorite, perhaps because I can't find anything about him as a person appealing or attuned to my taste. I think naming a director as my favorite inevitably forces me to consider a director's personality/background which can be hard or even wrong to infer from their work.

---

Regardless my favorites right now are Barry Jenkins, Hirokazu Kore-eda, Edward Yang, and Alfonso Cuaron.

me when i see that edward yang love

he has a couple movies on the criterion channel right now (Yi Yi his best and A Tapei Story) and I think Amazon Prime still has the super rare The Terrorizers (this is hard to find in good quality), which is his second best of what I've seen. Haven't seen A Brighter Summer Day yet.

he's a master who's really only recognized by the new york times or the new yorker

-Vader