Dark Phoenix (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Anyone listening to the Zimmers score for this? How do you like it?

I like it quite a lot, even tho its nothing new, but really into the use of vocals. The whole score kind of feels like a mixture of Man Of Steel, Inferno, Dunkirk and Inception.

The score is brilliant. It's a mix of my favorite Zimmer scores (some of them you mentioned). I really love Gap, Amity, Reckless, Insertion (the last two minutes - :o), Coda - the whole album basically.
Apparently it was supposed to be a 2 CD set but Fox Music/Disney doesn't do physical releases and for some reason they haven't released the content of CD2 digitally even though it has been mastered :facepalm:

Also, am I from the minority who think the movie wasn't that bad? Yes, it has some problems but it's not a complete disaster. It was enjoyable for the most part.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
June 18th, 2019, 8:02 am
The score is brilliant. It's a mix of my favorite Zimmer scores (some of them you mentioned). I really love Gap, Amity, Reckless, Insertion (the last two minutes - :o), Coda - the whole album basically.
Apparently it was supposed to be a 2 CD set but Fox Music/Disney doesn't do physical releases and for some reason they haven't released the content of CD2 digitally even though it has been mastered :facepalm:

Also, am I from the minority who think the movie wasn't that bad? Yes, it has some problems but it's not a complete disaster. It was enjoyable for the most part.
You said it. Its the Hans Zimmer we all like. Great score, havent skipped a single track. "Deletion" stands out for me, need to see that scene again!

I have read a bit of a insider info over at hans-zimmer.com that CD2 is still in the works so fingers crossed it will be released somehow. Heard Hans said himself he had so much material for this film, like 16 hours or something :o so a second CD with ideas etc. would be great.

I actually liked the movie same as you. I dont understand all the bad reviews. Like its not a very bad film, but its not a very good one either. A perfect avegare lol. Nowhere near DOFP, but not as bad as Apocalypse. I wasnt bored a single minute, even the dialogue scenes were fun to watch because of Zimmer in the background. Action was good, acting by Fassbender, McAvoy and Turner pretty solid. What I always liked about the X-Men series was that I felt more seriousness in the entire franchise, comparing to MCU. Like when someone wanted to kill someone I really felt like they meant it and they will do it. In MCU I felt like nothing is at stake and we can expect a happy ending....again (well, expect the end of Infinity Saga).

Collector03601 wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 3:25 am
AhmadAli95 wrote:

You said it. Its the Hans Zimmer we all like. Great score, havent skipped a single track. "Deletion" stands out for me, need to see that scene again!

I have read a bit of a insider info over at hans-zimmer.com that CD2 is still in the works so fingers crossed it will be released somehow. Heard Hans said himself he had so much material for this film, like 16 hours or something :o so a second CD with ideas etc. would be great.

I actually liked the movie same as you. I dont understand all the bad reviews. Like its not a very bad film, but its not a very good one either. A perfect avegare lol. Nowhere near DOFP, but not as bad as Apocalypse. I wasnt bored a single minute, even the dialogue scenes were fun to watch because of Zimmer in the background. Action was good, acting by Fassbender, McAvoy and Turner pretty solid. What I always liked about the X-Men series was that I felt more seriousness in the entire franchise, comparing to MCU. Like when someone wanted to kill someone I really felt like they meant it and they will do it. In MCU I felt like nothing is at stake and we can expect a happy ending....again (well, expect the end of Infinity Saga).
Seriously? Who was really close to die for good in this franchise from main characters? Can't even think of one.

Collector03601 wrote:
Action was good, acting by Fassbender, McAvoy and Turner pretty solid.
No one has ever put Turner on the same (or even similar) level as Fassbender and McAvoy.

poplar wrote:
June 19th, 2019, 7:17 am
Collector03601 wrote:
AhmadAli95 wrote:

Seriously? Who was really close to die for good in this franchise from main characters? Can't even think of one.
Im not saying anyone was close, these main characters rarely die and when they do they bring them back anyway, but Im more talking about the feeling when I was watching the X-Men series.

For example in this Dark Phoenix scene where
Magneto decides that he is going to kill Jean, he really made up his mind and if he could have he would have killed her, even Charles wouldnt be able to stop him. He was dead serious about killing her and that raised the stakes for me while watching it, like is he really going to do it? In MCU "something" usually happens which makes the character go a different route, but here they let him go at it 100%, he just wasnt powerful enough to kill her.
Or all the Sebastian Shaw killings in First Class (dropping agents out of the sky). Its just a different, more serious feeling for me while watching the X-Men franchise. Rarely had this feeling with the MCU characters.

Collector03601 wrote:

Yup, I read that too. He had to do a lot of writing for the film since it kept being changed. Even Hans himself is pushing for them to release it but the focus has shifted to The Lion King. Should've been released initially with CD1. I don't know how they miss things up like that.
Collector03601 wrote:
I liked DP so much I went to see it a second time yesterday (in IMAX no less). Liked it even more after seeing it a second time. My problems with still stand but again it was very enjoyable.

I gotta say one of the highlights of this movie is the cinematography and VFX/CGI. It looked gorgeous.
The Phoenix vs. Vuk with the cosmic force surrounding them accompanied by Zimmer's music - breathtaking.
I feel like the film could've been a bit longer with a bit more complex plot. The third was just too simple and the ending was kinda rushed.

*Also, I don't get why everyone hates Apocalypse :lol: I don't know if I just enjoy "bad movies" or something but to me that wasn't bad either.

For all its flaws and inconsistencies, the X-Men film series is dearer to my heart than the MCU because at least they go for different tones, visual styles and types of stories and they are not afraid to do truly ridiculous things. Also, since they clearly don't care about continuity, they feel less pretentious and self-important.

Batfan175 wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 3:50 am
For all its flaws and inconsistencies, the X-Men film series is dearer to my heart than the MCU because at least they go for different tones, visual styles and types of stories and they are not afraid to do truly ridiculous things. Also, since they clearly don't care about continuity, they feel less pretentious and self-important.
I feel like X-Men has had a pretty consistent tone overall though, just a lot darker compared to MCU, but I think that’s reflected in the comics as well. It’s just the nature of the subject matter.

Batfan175 wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 3:50 am
Going for a different tone for a change would also help you to sound a lot less pretentious for once.