Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 7:27 pm
Allstar wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:50 pm
This is what toxic fandom can do to people:
Kit Harington checked into luxury rehab for stress and alcohol
https://pagesix.com/2019/05/28/kit-hari ... d-alcohol/
wait what the fuck, seriously? Poor guy. Toxic fandom is almost absolutely part of the reason why, but it’s probably also a combination of possibly feeling void/depressed after something you’d given almost a decade to has ended. Also a mix of things we may never find out about. I wish him all the best. Props to him for going public with his issues, it takes courage.

Toxic hardcore fandoms absolutely deserve to be called out and have their asses put on a blast. They don’t own these properties, stories or characters, they’re literally entitled to nothing.
In a way that's what D&D did, and Johnson in SW8. Not saying they thought there work would be received so violently. I think they thought they had (spoiler for GOT and SW8)
enough stuff around (R2 showing Luke Leia's message, Luke returning and saving the resistance, Yoda and Luke interaction on SW side, Cleganebowl, Sansa queen, Tyrion hand of the king, Brienne head of the King's guard, on the GoT side.) for people to still appreciate the story. But when Tyrion talks to Jon, in the finale episode, he's literally calling out Dany's fans, and I have to say, I admire the bravery of it. Rian must have guessed (especially seeing Hamill's reaction) that his version of Luke would be much criticised but the way Luke throws the lightsabre, drinks the green milk: nothing is done to soften his arc, and in the same way D&D have Dany win the battle and the bell ring.
RJ and D&D have all my respect for it.

Ruth wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 7:48 am
Turner also gave an interview admitting she struggled with depression due to non stop hate comments from people, many of whom would probably think of themselves as "fans". It may not be (it probably isn't) the biggest element when it comes to the cast's personal struggles, but let's not pretend it isn't there at all.

I'd rather not speculate too in depth about their personal issues, but to try and downplay and minimize the effect it can have is also silly. These are only humans, they're not immune to the never ending toxic drivel. Imagine getting thousands of comments dissecting everything you do on that show, how you look/act, and then the people who are dumb enough to burden these people with their hatred of the show's quality or turn of events.
Yeah that's true.

I mean, it is pretty weird GoT is now over and done. Started watching in 2012 and followed everything closely ever since. But I'm just an audience member, it has an impact because I've lived with this story and it's characters but that's still only scratching the surface of what it did with the actual people making it/acting it. It's life changing and people are looking at it with a loupe. I understand that it's difficult to grasp the whole thing and to deal with it.

@Demoph: well D&D did say that they hoped it would've been received like Breaking Bad's finale ("Was it an A or A+ ending?") but you know; I'm glad they had a clear ending in mind and went on with it. Of course they hoped it would've been received very well but it's been rather polarising I think.
I think TLJ has been received better, as far as you can compare the two things, but there's just a group that's very vocal about what they didn't like and I guess you'll always have that when things have a large fanbase to begin with.

Nomis wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 9:36 am
@Demoph: well D&D did say that they hoped it would've been received like Breaking Bad's finale ("Was it an A or A+ ending?") but you know; I'm glad they had a clear ending in mind and went on with it. Of course they hoped it would've been received very well but it's been rather polarising I think.
That still cracks me up.

the finale is kind of an A-

-Vader

It’s definitely a D In terms of general reception regardless of what I think about it

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 12:47 pm
It’s definitely a D In terms of general reception regardless of what I think about it
That's true, but parsing out the robust quality of Season 8 vs the reaction to it are, of course, very different things.

Maybe I'm naive, but I truly believe over time Season 8 will be remembered more for what it got right than what it got wrong. An excellent example is The Long Night. It looks like pure sex in high quality, but most people didn't experience it that way. That primed the backlash as much, or more, than any story-level problems. And what's more, anger over Bran's arc "not going anywhere" will vanish in hindsight.

Another is that the broad strokes of the ending--Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa Dany, etc--perfectly suits their 10 year long character arcs.

-Vader

Future book spoilers from a cast member interview
Isaac Hempstead Wright confirmed that Bran becoming the king is something GRRM told D&D https://i.redd.it/zm46i3jz48131.jpg

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Future book spoilers from a cast member interview
Isaac Hempstead Wright confirmed that Bran becoming the king is something GRRM told D&D https://i.redd.it/zm46i3jz48131.jpg
How could it be any other way? No way D&D would pull THAT out their ass.

The finale was brilliant, it will take a few years for people to realize it. Jon/Tyrion and Jon/Dany is some of the best acted/written scenes of the series.