Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
jesus fuck
The house of the undying prophecy came true - except it wasn’t snow, it was ash.

The Arya stuff may just have been the best directorial achievement of the series. I was breathless the entire time.

It almost made me forget the plot

It was epic but at the same time
since it looks like Dany has to go, all her story of being the rightful and fair queen that has been built up for 6 seasons (IMO they really didn’t hint at her bad side at all till season 7) kind of feels like it’s for nothing. Had they spent a longer time developing her turning this way over the seasons it wouldn’t be an issue; but one of her dragons dying and Missendai(hope I spelt that right lol) dying isn’t justification for killing everyone
I see this going down as another huge mixed episode overall.

PowerDump wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 11:13 pm
since it looks like Dany has to go, all her story of being the rightful and fair queen that has been built up for 6 seasons (IMO they really didn’t hint at her bad side at all till season 7) kind of feels like it’s for nothing. Had they spent a longer time developing her turning this way over the seasons it wouldn’t be an issue; but one of her dragons dying and Missendai(hope I spelt that right lol) dying isn’t justification for killing everyone
I disagree and I don't really understand how people are missing this
her entire character arc has been leading to this

she lived in fear under her brother, and most of her arc through the show has been about seeing examples of how powerful fear can be

She's been slowly building power and using it to strike fear in people, and she's always made impulsive decisions based on revenge or spite

It makes sense that she becomes a mad queen

Not everything, but a LOT of this episode would have been "good to amazing" had it come after 3 (full) seasons of amazing character development for multiple characters. But because it didn't, almost none of it feels earned and instead, mostly, feels bogus and even absurd at times.
also, while I "know" the "point" is that Dany slowly had everything taken away from her over a period of time, making the final thing that pushes her completely over the edge getting rebuked by a lower.... is not great.

-Vader

On a scale and technical aspect this episode was epic. But story/character arc wise.. 😬

D&D are sexist pigs!!!

Cilogy wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:13 am
PowerDump wrote:

she lived in fear under her brother, and most of her arc through the show has been about seeing examples of how powerful fear can be

She's been slowly building power and using it to strike fear in people, and she's always made impulsive decisions based on revenge or spite

100% agree.
I feel like the writing been on the wall for a long time. I think it’s hard for us to accept that she did this because we’ve seen her journey and struggles and liberations. But let’s not forget why she was doing this and that was to build a massive ruthless army to take the ultimate position of power. She’s a conqueror in every sense of the word. And In this moment she was a conqueror who had just lost everything around her. She’s a conqueror with nothing to lose, and nothing to gain (with Jon Snow in the picture and the secret out, and people will fear her even if she is queen), that’s an extremely dangerous person no matter what she’s done in the past, plus she has a dragon. Could I have seen her not do this and it be believable Yes, but I also could, and honestly more realistically, seen this outcome. I think it’s a comment on the human psyche, and what power, fear, grief, loss, revenge, vengeance, retaliation, and the idea of manifest destiny can corrupt it.
Last edited by Frankthetank on May 13th, 2019, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cilogy wrote:
PowerDump wrote:

But to me, it
betrays all the people who joined her side because they thought she was different from other rulers and for the most part she was different in this world until the last 2 seasons. What was the point of Jorah and him not wanting to kill her and dying for her because he believed in her? Weren’t most of the fear tactics used pretty much justified as well? A lot of the people she used it on were out to kill her, kill her her soldiers, or steal her dragons. I know there have always been hints, there just didn’t seem to be a convincing turning point after so many seasons of her coming out and wanting to do the right thing. She won, the bells rang and “let’s kill all the people pleading for help”. It doesn’t add up well enough for me and it just seems like the whole Jon versus Danny confrontation is being forced.
Lol, this season is going to be viewed like the ending of Dexter

PowerDump wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 12:44 am
Cilogy wrote:
PowerDump wrote:

But to me, it
betrays all the people who joined her side because they thought she was different from other rulers and for the most part she was different in this world until the last 2 seasons. What was the point of Jorah and him not wanting to kill her and dying for her because he believed in her? Weren’t most of the fear tactics used pretty much justified as well? A lot of the people she used it on were out to kill her, kill her her soldiers, or steal her dragons. I know there have always been hints, there just didn’t seem to be a convincing turning point after so many seasons of her coming out and wanting to do the right thing. She won, the bells rang and “let’s kill all the people pleading for help”. It doesn’t add up well enough for me and it just seems like the whole Jon versus Danny confrontation is being forced.
Lol, this season is going to be viewed like the ending of Dexter
Not really, as it arguably adds to the complexity of the show and the characters.

Even seemingly "good guys" sided with villains, as we saw since season 1.

The turning point really seemed to be
after the battle of Winterfell when she looks around and realizes how alone she is. She sees she won't really be loved the way Jon is, but she can be feared. Her discussion with Jon in this episode was really just a confirmation of her embracing that.

For Jon, everything's been about doing the right thing. Not the case with Dany. She's felt she's entitled to the throne since day 1 and she feels that she's sacrificed and fought a lot on the path towards it. But what GoT tells us is that it's not about earning or deserving the thing, it's about taking the thing, even at a horrible cost. Dany sees what she has to do in order to take it, so she makes that choice.

We've seen her vulnerable, and that's the side of her that folks like Jorah and Varys respected. But she's also been incredibly insolent throughout the series. Recently, she's felt the walls close in on her. She lost two of her children. Her forces have been depleted. She loved(loves?) Jon but is aware of his rightful claim. She knows Winterfell hates her. She lost Missandei. She was betrayed by Varys. She feels Tyrion is increasingly untrustworthy. I mean, she has every reason to rage after that, meaning, by her own justification.
Also I think we need to talk about how
the show vied for sympathy for Cersei at the end. Like, this whole time ive wanted her to die a horrible death but they sorta turn that on its head. The episode really put you in Cersei's head a lot and by the end I sorta end up fearing Dany more. Perhaps that was the point.
Last edited by Cilogy on May 13th, 2019, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.