Shazam! (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Honestly those films are closer to Classical Tragedies, but they have a happy ending tacked on.

Dobson wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 9:07 pm
95% on RT (7.88/10) with 40 reviews

whaaaaat
that's pretty nice

I'm imagining the behind the scenes conversations of WB execs. I'm sure when they were discussing their plans for the Cinematic Universe, there was a guy from the start saying "Let's do it exactly like Marvel did it". And everyone else said "Shut up, let's be more original around here". Then BvS was a failure and the guy said "Guys, seriously, let's do it like Marvel". "C'mon man, stop it, think how we can fix this Suicide Squad movie".

And now this guy is like "I don't want to tell you I told you so buuuut... " :P

If they're smart they'll build the new era of DCEU off of this and WW 1984

Interestingly enough, there's speculation growing that WW84 is soft-booting the DCEU. Since a producer said that 84 isn't a sequel (along with the fact that Suicide Squad might be entirely recasting), it makes this rumor kind of tasty.

LelekPL wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 4:36 pm
I'm imagining the behind the scenes conversations of WB execs. I'm sure when they were discussing their plans for the Cinematic Universe, there was a guy from the start saying "Let's do it exactly like Marvel did it". And everyone else said "Shut up, let's be more original around here". Then BvS was a failure and the guy said "Guys, seriously, let's do it like Marvel". "C'mon man, stop it, think how we can fix this Suicide Squad movie".

And now this guy is like "I don't want to tell you I told you so buuuut... " :P
I'd not say that making family-friendly capeshit is a Marvel thing. It all started with Superman 1978, after all. That movie gave the entire genre frame of reference on how to make that kind of movie work. MCU simply used that tone as the mold for all of their movies to the fullest. Can't say it always works for them when it comes to quality, but most of their movies make their money back. However, I would be fine with DCEU being grimdark if it was thought-out and consistent. The tone was never going to be a problem. Most popular TV shows in the past twenty years are grimdark, but nobody cares. People would embrace a darker cinematic universe. It probably wouldn't make DC movies as successful as some of the MCU movies, since grimdark obviously limits your audience, but they still could've been successful and beloved. Nolan's Batman movies proved that. The Dark Knight was the first capeshit to make a billion, yet it had an ending in which a man with half-burned face tries to murder a little kid. You can't go darker than that.

I’m just amused by the word “capeshit”.

shauner111 wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 6:22 pm
That's what it's called in masses.

Batman's Batman wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 7:08 pm
shauner111 wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 6:22 pm
That's what it's called in masses.
Literally only film nerds online use that word.

Stop trying to make capeshit happen Batman's Batman. It's never going to happen.