Aquaman (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So the blu-ray apparently utilises a 1.77 aspect ratio for most of the film:

so this kind of rules? to my surprise, I liked it more than most MCU.

-Vader

I don’t think there was a single thing about this movie that made me think “yeah, that was good”. The dialogue and acting was worse than Venom. Probably bottom 5 of 2018 for me. Black Manta is one of the worst villains I’ve seen (horribly cast too). Momoa acts like a jerky bro the whole time, very unlikable character. We never really see him love other humans besides a couple of cheesy scenes with his father, and yet It’s about him choosing to save the people that he loves. Nothing is believable. James Wan should stick to the Conjuring franchise.

shauner111 wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm
I don’t think there was a single thing about this movie that made me think “yeah, that was good”. The dialogue and acting was worse than Venom. Probably bottom 5 of 2018 for me. Black Manta is one of the worst villains I’ve seen (horribly cast too). Momoa acts like a jerky bro the whole time, very unlikable character. We never really see him love other humans besides a couple of cheesy scenes with his father, and yet It’s about him choosing to save the people that he loves. Nothing is believable. James Wan should stick to the Conjuring franchise.
So true. DCEU is giving pre-phase 3 MCU a run for its money in terms of garbage villains.

With Venom you at least get to enjoy watching Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams despite the script being utterly trash. No such pleasures with Aquaman as you are stuck with useless stars in Momoa and Heard.£

It's a litmus test for how you watch movies. Aquaman lacks the passive refinement of the Feige Formula, but half the set pieces are better than almost anything in a Non-Russo MCU movie. It's wildly imaginative and full of genuine authorship and visual choices and ideas.

I liked Momoa, Patrick Wilson, Kidman a lot. Heard...is...bad. But I can't lie. I enjoyed it more than I enjoy most MCU movies. especially Captain Marvel. I give extra points to movies that "go for it" and this, if nothing else, did.

WW > Aquaman >>>> MOS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BVS > Suicide Squad

-Vader

Apparently Shazam is actually great. And I expect Gunn’s Suicide Squad to be very good. It’s a case by case with these movies right now.

If I wanted to pick a DCEU movie with the kind of imagery that impresses and lingers I would go with Dawn of Justice. Aquaman's beauty, just like its stars', is fleeting and of little significance.£

Master Virgo wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 7:01 pm
If I wanted to pick a DCEU movie with the kind of imagery that impresses and lingers I would go with Dawn of Justice. Aquaman's beauty, just like its stars', is fleeting and of little significance.£
Perhaps not the correct thread but which MCU movie would you pick whose images do the same for you(i.e. lingers)?

I’ll take MOS over Aquaman any day of the week. The attempt at humor in Aquaman was...embarrassing, for a lack of a better word. Nothing worked for me. I agree that Venom at least had Hardy being entertaining in another dumb fest.

Not a BvS fan but I would say that movie “went for it”. Can’t really say the same about Aquaman, which felt like another origin story comic book flick aimed at children. At least the recent MCU movies have some warm, likeable characters and chemistry between two “stars”. Like Jackson and Larson. Heard and Momoa? Zero chemistry, stiff delivery, unlikable etc. I even enjoyed Margot Robbie and Will Smith more in Suicide Squad and that movie was a dumb mess.

Master Virgo wrote:
March 17th, 2019, 7:01 pm
Haven’t seen Aquaman yet but at least it looks somewhat fun in comparison.