Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Capernaum

Such a great and touching story. Also makes me a lot more thankful for my life too.

When I think about the ideas in this lecture (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hx0qwsFvE) along with my taste in film over the years I can’t help but be shocked over why I’ve been so captivated by certain movies I love. Films like Tess, Memento, Vertigo, Rebecca, Notorious, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Pi, Ikiru, Wild Strawberries, Persona and Summer Interlude have shaken me the most. I may have “overdosed” on medicinal marijuana last night but if any of my posts are to be to taken remotely seriously, ever, it’s this one.

Edit: lol damn, I really am painfully honest/open to a fault. I exhaust just about everyone around me with these epiphanies of mine so I guess I should try journaling or something since I'm too poor for a therapist worth seeing.

Artemis wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 1:05 am
Capernaum

Such a great and touching story. Also makes me a lot more thankful for my life too.
Saw this today. Hard-hitting would be an understatement. And every single moment felt earned. Also a stark reminder of privileges we have in life.

dafox wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 8:42 am
When I think about the ideas in this lecture (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1hx0qwsFvE) along with my taste in film over the years I can’t help but be shocked over why I’ve been so captivated by certain movies I love. Films like Tess, Memento, Vertigo, Rebecca, Notorious, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Pi, Ikiru, Wild Strawberries, Persona and Summer Interlude have shaken me the most. I may have “overdosed” on medicinal marijuana last night but if any of my posts are to be to taken remotely seriously, ever, it’s this one.

Edit: lol damn, I really am painfully honest/open to a fault. I exhaust just about everyone around me with these epiphanies of mine so I guess I should try journaling or something since I'm too poor for a therapist worth seeing.

i want this on my grave

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 3:40 am
dafox wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 8:42 am

i want this on my grave
Whatever the intentions behind this joke may be I guess I should try to elaborate/spell out my very serious and sincere post. Damasio compares/equates art to science and social fluency because of their roles in confronting, understanding, and ultimately dealing very serious problems but art does this in a much broader, more encompassing way. He uses homeostasis as a metaphor since nothing regulates the emotions the way art does, like that screencap suggests. Emotions deal with things like hypochondriasis, pain processing and the placebo effect so clearly theres a therapeutic element to art as opposed to just conscious problem solving/comprehension i.e. "the moral of the story". When it comes to the efficacy of confronting, understanding and solving problems via art you can just look up Einstein saying that he learned more from Dostoevsky than any other thinker.

Like I said in my original post I should probably just keep these things to myself or people who are more in tune with the content and style of what I have to say.

yea but

Vertigo tho?

Can You Ever Forgive Me?
I was pleasantly surprised by this. I went in almost completely blind of the story. I thought the performances were top notch. McCarthy really aces this dramatic part and Grant is just pure delight and touching, they're superb in this.
Really enjoyed the way they portrayed Lee, it's quite a difficult part to play but it's written so well and the directing feels earnest and to the point. If there's one aspect of the film I think could've worked better here and there it's the score. It sometimes made the film feel a bit too... Unrealistic? For lack of a better word I guess. I mean, it's quite a story, but still. Dug the cinematography and the fact that it was shot on film. I must also say that I loved the way they portrayed the characters sexuality, very well done and it just makes me happy we get more films with gay characters handled just as normally as straight ones. I just thought that had to be said because it hasn't been standard for a long time and there is still quite a way to go.

Deserved Academy Award nominations imo.

Never Look Away (2018)

I liked this yarn a lot. Donnersmarck needs to make movies more frequently and they shouldn't be The Tourist.

Saw "Life (2017)" on Netflix yesterday. Doesn't seem to be available in the US but at least it was in the UK.

The acting was good (looking forward to seeing more of Rebecca Ferguson) but unfortunately it was quite predictable. Storywise it's the same thing as the original Alien movie.

Cilogy wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 2:14 pm
yea but

Vertigo tho?
Not all of us have their parents pay for their advanced degrees so I don't blame myself at all for getting high and making overly sentimental and detailed posts relating movies/art/life after dealing with all of the strains of being a destitute student. I guess my "problem" is that I don't take this place seriously enough to be embarrassed by relating art to personal experiences. That was the content of the video I posted btw. I've liked/used to like some of you over the years but I really do regret ever having an internet life since even a site dedicated to a filmmaker I adore has too much boring garbage and too little meaningful discussion, sorry about trying to have some more of the latter. Don't feign sanctimony either since we all know that this place only exists because the internet is too addicting and old habits die hard. Have fun trolling other people hundreds/thousands of miles away.