Untitled Star Wars Trilogy (Rian Johnson)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 2:14 pm
my mentions have been cancer for 24 hours since i had the nerve to praise RJ

i have no clue how he maintains being such a class act since it must be 1000x worse for him

-Vader
I still find it really bizzare he sparked this type of reaction because to me, he didn’t reLly do anything that controversial.

I do. It's one of the most radical blockbusters of the last 10 years, for good and bad.

-Vader

If global warming or nationalistic tribalism doesn't kill us, I'm convinced it'll be the Star Wars fanbase.

Vader182 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 2:31 pm
I do. It's one of the most radical blockbusters of the last 10 years, for good and bad.

-Vader
I love the movie but it never really felt that way to me. *shrugs*

It never goes all the way in its radicalness. We'll mostly certainly get a mostly generic final episode because Johnson doesn't go all the way with what he teases. Did he have to? I don't know...

Rey & Kylo teaming up and starting something new...damn, I would anticipated Episode IX like crazy with this possibility.

Rejecting it gave us a crazy cool third act in TLJ but for the saga overall, it's just retreading old ground, there's nothing particularly new here.

Johnson was (really) controversial with the characters and the themes. As for the plot and the worldbuilding, it's conventional as it gets
Last edited by FuturePast on February 14th, 2019, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allstar wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 2:24 pm

I still find it really bizzare he sparked this type of reaction because to me, he didn’t reLly do anything that controversial.
I think there were some already radical ideas in SW7, but they were played along in a very classic narrative structure whose key parts eventually mirrored SW4. But Johnson took these radical ideas and treated them in a radical way. The first example being Luke throwing the light saber away. After SW7, it was obvious Luke was not going to say "ok, so lesson one, how to use a lightsaber", and there was already the idea there that Luke had abandoned the fight, but on the contrary of what JJ had done with Han, Rian went for a radical approach in directing a radical idea.

That said, I think if you want to defend the prequels, which I would, you must also say that like Johnson does, Lucas follows his idea to their ends. SW1 in the end is a child movie about slavery and military occupation, for better and worse. Innovating at the risk of crossing the line is part of SW DNA, imo.

Something else that people forgot about SW DNA is the fact that it is a violent critic of the American mythology, and that Lucas through the original trilogy wanted to criticize the war in Vietnam. He almost directed Apocalypse Now instead of SW4. So criticising SW for being SJW makes no sense and shows that people just put behind SW the message they wanted, until eventually they couldn't.

Also SW 8 is maybe not controversial, but at least very original in the blockbuster history,
because there is no final fight and the film is eventually about pacifism. Luke's physical absence and Rose saving Finn deprive the viewer of the usual action pieces he's so used to enjoy. Johnson takes two of the most usual scenes in blockbuster, the sacrifice and the final fight and he questions their relevance. It's funny how as a viewer and I include myself in this we enjoy Holdo's sacrifice much more than Rose saving Finn, and it makes me questions my expectations towards blockbusters.
So yes not controversial but definitely original.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm
It never goes all the way in its radicalness. We'll mostly certainly get a mostly generic final episode because Johnson doesn't go all the way with what he teases. Did he have to? I don't know...

Rey & Kylo teaming up and starting something new...damn, I would anticipated Episode IX like crazy with this possibility.

Rejecting it gave us a crazy cool third act in TLJ but for the saga overall, it's just retreading old ground, there's nothing particularly new here.

Johnson was (really) controversial with the characters and the themes. As for the plot and the worldbuilding, it's conventional as it gets
Pretty much how I feel.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:

Can you name the other blockbusters that explore the possible virtue of inaction in the face of crisis, and where non-violence is the resolution?

ArmandFancypants wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:47 pm
Now Where Was I ? wrote:

Can you name the other blockbusters that explore the possible virtue of inaction in the face of crisis, and where non-violence is the resolution?
Yeah I'm sure non-violence will be a big part of Episode IX....

It's all related to Luke and his character development. The ''Story'' of this trilogy is still Empire chase Rebels, Rebels fight Empire, etc. Nothing has changed in any way.

Not much changes between VII and VIII. Johnson did some interesting stuff with VIII, but I agree that I wouldn't claim it to be as radical as so many people say. I don't understand why everyone is so confident JJ will reverse "all the things Johnson did" when, in my opinion, the real struggle may actually just end up be wrapping up everything in a single film because Johnson did so little.