2018-2019 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
oh shiiiiiit let's go black panther!

why are we crying about Black Panther getting a nom when people almost started a third world war 10 years ago when The Dark Knight wasn't nominated

SUPER happy for Roma and I'll be rooting for it so hard. Also the Favorite, which I'm finally seeing tomorrow (but I'm probably going to like it so). Also BlacKkKlansman got the attention it deserves, which again, makes me happy.

Love the fact that Buster Scruggs got at least some sort of recognition, I know it's a million percent not happening, but if 'when a cowboy trades his spurs for wings' won best song, I'd lose my shit in the best way possible lmao. I'm sorry, but I'm SO OVER Shallow, it wasn't even the best song from the film.

All in all, the noms aren't all very bad, most were kind of expected at this point.. Best picture one of the most disappointing, but no way is Bohemian Rhapsody is getting it so...idk whatever

First Man getting snubbed is aTrOcIoUs 10000x, but we already knew that. Regardless of what you think about Hereditary, Toni Collette DESERVED a nomination too, maybe more so than some of the other nominees.

First Man was easily snubbed the hardest, but yeah I agree there are quite a few bad noms...

Absolutely love the Lanthimos nomination though, and feel like Cold War probably should have gotten in for best picture as well.

BlacKkKlansman for score might be the most undeserving nomination in my opinion. Such a boring soundtrack. Incredibles 2, First Man, Spider-Verse and even Widows and Suspiria were all better.

Edit: Well, Bohemian Rhapsody for best picture isn't exactly deserving either.

Out of all the amazing films of 2018 and a great year overall this is what we get for nominations? It really feels like the Academy voters only saw Vice, Roma, Green Book and The Favourite and NOTHING else

xWhereAmI? wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:33 pm
Out of all the amazing films of 2018 and a great year overall this is what we get for nominations? It really feels like the Academy voters only saw Vice, Roma, Green Book and The Favourite and NOTHING else
For sure they have seen Cold War. Which is good :P

If Malek wins, it would be the third time an actor wins the best lead for a film written by that McCarten fella. But it really seems to be Bale's to lose.£

Master Virgo wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:37 pm
If Malek wins, it would be the third time an actor wins the best lead for a film written by that McCarten fella. But it really seems to be Bale's to lose.£
So far it's a three-way tie between Bale, Cooper and Malek (the others aren't even in the race by now). We have to wait until the Screen Actors Guild Awards to see who the favorite is. This is probably the most properly nominated category (you could make a case for Hawke but that's about it) and by far the toughest and most interesting to watch.

Remember, this is the body of films that Hollywood see as the best of the year, whether you agree with it or not. Oscars are not made to represent your Top 10 of the year. If there are other movies that you felt were snubbed, take full advantage of the social media platform and urge people to seek them out. That's how we get people seeing movies like Private Life, Colette, Thoroughbreds, Mandy, You Were Never Really Here, etc.

Monthly reminder that Crash won Best Picture

Crash