Recommend Me A Movie Topic

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Valmont is OK, but can't match the Frears film. It's worth a look though, definitely. All Forman's films are.

Have you seen much other Frears from the period? The Hit is amazing, and then you've got My Beautiful Laundrette and Prick Up Your Ears which are superb performance showcases.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 1:27 am
Valmont is OK, but can't match the Frears film. It's worth a look though, definitely. All Forman's films are.

Have you seen much other Frears from the period? The Hit is amazing, and then you've got My Beautiful Laundrette and Prick Up Your Ears which are superb performance showcases.
Ah alright, I'll certainly check out Valmont.

I must admit I haven't seen much of Frears work yet. Of his most recent films I've loved Philomena. Victoria & Abdul and Florence Foster Jenkins not so much... I'll check those you said out.

Mrs. Henderson Presents is also pretty decent as far as the recent prestige efforts have gone, but Philomena and The Queen are the obvious standouts.

Which version of Waterworld should I watch?

Nomis wrote:
February 7th, 2019, 11:46 am
Which version of Waterworld should I watch?
none

ah shite I thought I was going to watch a guilty pleasure from the 90s... Guess it's not even that then?

Go right ahead and watch it then. I’ve last seen it yeaaaars ago and don’t really have a strong recollection of it, so I guess it didn’t really work as a childhood guilty pleasure all that much for me.

I've not seen Waterworld but would advise strongly against The Postman.

Open Range is pretty damn good tho

Thanks for making me dodge The Postman lol

Open Range has been on the list for quite some time tbh.

Just saw the Ulysses cut of Waterworld (yes, three hours indeed). Well, I must admit I liked quite a lot of it. Production value is pretty damn great, there are plenty of gorgeous open sea shots and some cool action scenes. Most performances range from good to decent to some hamming it up but still getting away with it, mainly because this film has got almost the same sort of vibe going through it as Miller's first Mad Max sequels. This is most apparent when we visit the atolls.

Anyway, I quite like the basis of the story but it does have pacing issues and the whole Costner/Tripplehorn/Majorino arc on his ship could've been handled a lot better. Like, making Costner a more sympathetic character much earlier on in the story. I haven't seen the theatrical cut but I don't think that goes very well there either. I think that would've helped this at the box office. So to me the most faults this has basically come down to character development. There's no real emotional connection, it all stays, you guessed it, on the surface.

Nevertheless, it's definitely not the atrocious epic I heard a lot of people say it is. I admire it's craft and I think it could've been something quite stunning on a story level as well if they got their hands on a better and tighter narrative. I would love to see a sequel to this in the vein of Fury Road. It's basically Mad Max on open water to begin with lol

Has anybody got some recommendations for Greek films? Preferably films of Greek directors and in the Greek language. It doesn't matter what year the films are from.