Nolan's Next Film

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
I can't see Nolan taking significant time off at this stage in his career. He's still young, he's at the top of his game, this would not be the logical time to do it. A three-month stay-cation? Absolutely. But not a whole year, or two. No way. He's hungry to put out stuff.

Maybe in 15 years, I can see him being like a James Cameron or a Spielberg or Scorsese, where it's not a huge surprise if five years go by and you haven't heard much from him. But not right now.

I obviously don't know the man, none of us do, haha. So I'm talking out of my ass. But it just doesn't seem to be in his character to take a two or three-year break.

He'll have a movie out in 2020. I'd bet serious money on that. He typically has a two or three-year gap between films.

Following to Memento - 2 years
Memento to Insomnia - 2 years
Insomnia to Batman Begins - 3 years
Batman Begins to The Prestige - 1 year
The Prestige to The Dark Knight - 2 years
The Dark Knight to Inception - 2 years
Inception to The Dark Knight Rises - 2 years
The Dark Knight Rises to Interstellar - 2 years
Interstellar to Dunkirk - 3 years
Dunkirk to New Film - 3 years

Slighty off-topic: A one-year gap between Batman Begins and The Prestige kind of blows my mind. I don't know how he pulled that off. The Prestige was a small-ish film, but it was a period film with detailed sets and costumes and locations. It was still a fairly large scale film to dive into immediately after a studio IP blockbuster.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the script to Lisa Joy Nolan's Reminiscence? I would love to check it out if someone could please DM it to me.

we're close, very, very close.

The Special One wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 4:55 pm
we're close, very, very close.
Have I missed something :o

People are posting here on a daily basis now. The time is nigh...

Hey, since people are regularly viewing this thread, anybody got that Lisa Joy Nolan script for Reminiscence? I'm dying to read it. Literally dying. :sick:

I know the chance of him making an indie movie next is close to 0%, but would be cool to see him make a film on Memento’s budget (+ some million dollars marketing) and then make like $600 million at the box office or something, considering his fanbase and influence.

Something that he's probably super frustrated with is the fact that a lot of smaller, amazing indie films are getting produced by Netflix and Amazon Studios, while movies in theaters are becoming exclusively 200+ million budget films. He's at a crossroads right now because I'm sure he would want to make something smaller, but that almost implies making (essentially) a made-for-TV film, while on the theatrical side, that implies making something with an existing IP and is "safe." That's an aggravating position to be in. AND he only wants to use actual film instead of digital. He's a unicorn. This is and it isn't the era for him to be in, because we as moviegoers need him. Studios might not feel they need him as years go on. Look at Spielberg and Scorsese. The BFG tanked and The Irishman is being produced by Netflix.

I say "made-for-TV" because that's honestly what Netflix and Amazon are. They have no place being in the Oscars. I don't care how great Beautiful Boy or Manchester By The Sea or Beasts of No Nation are. It makes as much sense as nominating a Lifetime Original Movie for Best Picture.

He's really becoming one of the only filmmakers of his kind in that he's trying to be in the middle of this whole spectrum. Something new and original, not based on an IP, that has a 200 million budget, made with real film, and is released theatrically. If you look at the current state of cinema, he's one of the only games in town, and that's got to be frustrating and comes with an insane load of pressure, because it might bomb.

I'm telling you, I don't think he has carte blanche to do whatever he wants right now. It might seem that way, but his biggest successes are from Batman, an IP. And Batman isn't even a guaranteed bet anymore after he left and we got Snyder's films. We're in a super interesting time in Hollywood. Aquaman is killing it right now and is becoming the most successful DC film, and Black Panther might get nominated for Best Picture, as will Beautiful Boy, a movie made by Amazon for Amazon Prime members on their TV's and phones.

I know I might sound extreme and hyperbolic already, haha, but I don't think it's crazy to say that Nolan's next film might be the most important of his career, and it might be important for cinema in general. And that might be why it's taking so long. I can't think of any other logical reason for such a big delay. And the only other film I can think of that is sort of in this same poisition in terms of pressure and impact is Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Long crazy rant. Sorry.

Angus wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm
Something that he's probably super frustrated with is the fact that a lot of smaller, amazing indie films are getting produced by Netflix and Amazon Studios, while movies in theaters are becoming exclusively 200+ million budget films. He's at a crossroads right now because I'm sure he would want to make something smaller, but that almost implies making (essentially) a made-for-TV film, while on the theatrical side, that implies making something with an existing IP and is "safe." That's an aggravating position to be in. AND he only wants to use actual film instead of digital. He's a unicorn. This is and it isn't the era for him to be in, because we as moviegoers need him. Studios might not feel they need him as years go on. Look at Spielberg and Scorsese. The BFG tanked and The Irishman is being produced by Netflix.

I say "made-for-TV" because that's honestly what Netflix and Amazon are. They have no place being in the Oscars. I don't care how great Beautiful Boy or Manchester By The Sea or Beasts of No Nation are. It makes as much sense as nominating a Lifetime Original Movie for Best Picture.

He's really becoming one of the only filmmakers of his kind in that he's trying to be in the middle of this whole spectrum. Something new and original, not based on an IP, that has a 200 million budget, made with real film, and is released theatrically. If you look at the current state of cinema, he's one of the only games in town, and that's got to be frustrating and comes with an insane load of pressure, because it might bomb.

I'm telling you, I don't think he has carte blanche to do whatever he wants right now. It might seem that way, but his biggest successes are from Batman, an IP. And Batman isn't even a guaranteed bet anymore after he left and we got Snyder's films. We're in a super interesting time in Hollywood. Aquaman is killing it right now and is becoming the most successful DC film, and Black Panther might get nominated for Best Picture, as will Beautiful Boy, a movie made by Amazon for Amazon Prime members on their TV's and phones.

I know I might sound extreme and hyperbolic already, haha, but I don't think it's crazy to say that Nolan's next film might be the most important of his career, and it might be important for cinema in general. And that might be why it's taking so long. I can't think of any other logical reason for such a big delay. And the only other film I can think of that is sort of in this same poisition in terms of pressure and impact is Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Long crazy rant. Sorry.
Good stuff agreed with most of what you said.

I think, in all seriousness, it's likely to be one of these.

Hell and Gone - Script by Jonathan Nolan

Citizen Hughes - Script by Christopher Nolan

Reminiscence - Script by Lisa Joy Nolan

The Keys to the Street - Script by Christopher Nolan

These projects are already written and floating around in the ether, some for a long time, ready to be produced. I doubt they'll be collecting dust much longer.