Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 10:11 pm
Stalker

If you loved Annihilation then give this a watch. Holy shit this film is amazing. Idk why I put off watching it for so long.

It's going to take a bit to let it all sink in but I loved it.
I'm sure that some of the cinematography aficionados on here could better describe the nuances lost on me but I thought the tint changes between their mundane world and the zone really hammered in the exhilaration over the prospect of having their wishes fulfilled, especially with the dull hostility of the world they were escaping when they traveled into the zone. Contemplating whether or not they should go through with it is philosophically juicy enough for great scifi. The last shot/scenes reminded me of Bran from GoT. I was really looking forward to seeing this again but capitalism killed my favorite film streaming service.

dafox wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 5:30 am
Artemis wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 10:11 pm
Stalker

If you loved Annihilation then give this a watch. Holy shit this film is amazing. Idk why I put off watching it for so long.

It's going to take a bit to let it all sink in but I loved it.
I'm sure that some of the cinematography aficionados on here could better describe the nuances lost on me but I thought the tint changes between their mundane world and the zone really hammered in the exhilaration over the prospect of having their wishes fulfilled, especially with the dull hostility of the world they were escaping when they traveled into the zone. Contemplating whether or not they should go through with it is philosophically juicy enough for great scifi. The last shot/scenes reminded me of Bran from GoT. I was really looking forward to seeing this again but capitalism killed my favorite film streaming service.
That is exactly spot on!

I also really loved the Writer's dialogue. A lot of what he said really hit home because my last job was being a content writer and it sucked. Doing your passion for a living sounds good on paper, but it can become very unfulfilling after a while.

I got the Criterion a while ago during the 50% off sale. I'm sure you can get it on Amazon for half off too.

Th Rider

Second viewing. This and Beast have to be my most overlooked. Beautiful film.

Bad times at the El Royale

Actually really enjoyed this. Falls a little flat in the third act but otherwise pretty strong film.

Irony of Fate/Ирония судьбы 1976. - New Year’s Eve (Soviet) classic...🕷️

HALLOWEEN 2018

Really enjoyed the hell out of this true sequel. That trick or treat sequence was awesome

The Postman Always Rings Twice
I'd help kill a gal's husband for Lana Turner too. And if we want to switch the sexes, I'd do the same for John Garfield.

Birdbox (2018)
I liked this. Similar to The Quiet Place, but I liked the TQP so I ain't complaining. The crucial thing is that the viewer never sees whatever it is that is affecting them, so you are always in the survivors POV.

Eighth Grade (2018)
Forgive me, but I do not know who this Bo Burham guy is. But I really like this film yo. The way of a teenage girl is portrayed in this, is quite refreshing. Is there a thread for this film??

Vertigo

The fancy theater downtown was doing a midnight showing of this so I thought I'd go. I was kind of underwhelmed by this? Like the premise is pretty great and I loved Kim Novak and James Stewart in their roles. And Barbara Del Geddes was cute but I felt like her character never really went anywhere
but she did however play into the theme of the movie when she shows John the self portrait that she made. Never become someone else for another and don't obsess so much over one person but I still felt like her character wasn't given enough to do.
I did like it but I was really underwhelmed by it. Like this film is hyped up a lot and I don't think I ŕeally got that hype.

Maybe when I revisit it I'll see it differently.

MI: Fallout

The first two acts of this film utterly rocked. Franchise transcending stuff. The pay-off...not quite. Almost feels like someone has stolen the real finale of the film, and put a fake one in its place.£

Master Virgo wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 8:08 am
MI: Fallout

The first two acts of this film utterly rocked. Franchise transcending stuff. The pay-off...not quite. Almost feels like someone has stolen the real finale of the film, and put a fake one in its place.£
how so?

most people think the third act of Fallout is the best part of the movie and rivals anything else in the franchise (except perhaps the Burj). I am among those people.

-Vader