Top Ten Movies of 2018

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

LelekPL wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 3:56 am
It's just a movie. Get a hold of yourself.
A very good movie but hey it's your opinion your list. At least you've seen it.

haven't seen a lot but Fifty Shades Freed would be like #8

Need to see: Mandy, Colette, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Mary Queen of Scots, Vice, The Hate U Give, Green Book, The Tale.

Cilogy wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 11:26 pm
If you only saw 8 movies that would be a good list.

bootsy wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 1:16 am
Cilogy wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 11:26 pm
If you only saw 8 movies that would be a good list.
That's the implication.

bootsy wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 11:14 pm
LelekPL wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 3:56 am
It's just a movie. Get a hold of yourself.
A very good movie but hey it's your opinion your list. At least you've seen it.
I understand why other people might like it but it just didn't suit my preferences. I explained it before in this thread:
LelekPL wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 8:48 am
Annihilation is a good movie but it was just too dull at the end of the day. I didn't care for any of the characters, either. The concept and the metaphor are interesting in themselves but the movie wasn't entertaining enough to keep my interest. Snail pace, depressed characters (even though that was the point), poorly developed ones as well.

And before there's another person jumping to conclusions that all I'm looking for is "fun" let me point you to other films on my list. It's not just about watching action or laughing at comedies. It's about creating interest and maintaining it for the run of the film. Annihilation failed at the latter for me. Maybe it didn't for you...

I didn't really like Annihilation much either. Too hand holdy when it came to the themes and overall subtext and it took out a lot of the mystery that the book had.

Alex Garland only read the first book in the trilogy and made the film off that. And it's a shame because the book could have made for an amazing film but I feel like that opportunity was just wasted.

Artemis wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:52 pm
I didn't really like Annihilation much either. Too hand holdy when it came to the themes and overall subtext and it took out a lot of the mystery that the book had.

Alex Garland only read the first book in the trilogy and made the film off that. And it's a shame because the book could have made for an amazing film but I feel like that opportunity was just wasted.
I never felt like holding hands with anyone while watching that movie and my wife was next to me during the entire movie. I think I need to apologize to her.

bootsy wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 3:02 pm
Artemis wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 2:52 pm

I never felt like holding hands with anyone while watching that movie.
I wanted to hold hands with Oscar Isaac. And if not him, Tessa Thompson.