Aquaman (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan175 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 4:28 am
It's likely doing well because it's big, epic and camp and commits to that last idea fully and wholeheartedly without being afraid of looking ridiculous in the process.

Maybe people outside of America do not feel the need, unlike many American fans of the comics, to see these characters treated with this overly serious reverence, as if superhero comics were anything beyond fluff and children's entertainment.

American comicbook fans say that superheroes are like Greek myths and should probably be mandatory reading material in philosophy courses at prestigious universities. Aquaman is just like 'what if we got you surfer Conan underwater?'
Well, it's doing great in America too boss so idk if your assessment fits here. :lol:

BlairCo wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 6:24 am
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Yes, the storytelling is uninspiring and lazy, but my annoyance with the plot did not outweigh the sense of wonder I felt from the visuals. It is such a gorgeous movie.
m4st4 and Bacon are now gonna come at me with pitchforks for liking this more than Into the Spider-Verse
I have no intentions to come at you because you like something I don’t bro.🕷️

How much is Dame Julie's screen time? Lol.£

Master Virgo wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 7:18 am
Not that much. But her scene is one of the best parts.

Artemis wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 7:25 am
Master Virgo wrote:
What was her scene?🕷️

m4st4 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 8:10 am
Artemis wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 7:25 am
Master Virgo wrote:
What was her scene?🕷️
when Aquaman gets the trident from the kraken. She voices the kraken

Batfan175 wrote:
It's likely doing well because it's big, epic and camp and commits to that last idea fully and wholeheartedly without being afraid of looking ridiculous in the process.

Maybe people outside of America do not feel the need, unlike many American fans of the comics, to see these characters treated with this overly serious reverence, as if superhero comics were anything beyond fluff and children's entertainment.

American comicbook fans say that superheroes are like Greek myths and should probably be mandatory reading material in philosophy courses at prestigious universities. Aquaman is just like 'what if we got you surfer Conan underwater?'
Your last paragraph is why I despise comic book nerds.

Comparing Whedon with Milton is indescribeable.

BlairCo wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 6:24 am
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Yes, the storytelling is uninspiring and lazy, but my annoyance with the plot did not outweigh the sense of wonder I felt from the visuals. It is such a gorgeous movie.
m4st4 and Bacon are now gonna come at me with pitchforks for liking this more than Into the Spider-Verse
Not gonna come at you with pitchforks. I just don't want you going into a film wanting to dislike it/like it more than another. It's your loss if you're not getting what others get out of it, and I've been there before with films everyone else loves and I don't care for (Gravity is a good example).

anikom15 wrote:
December 27th, 2018, 7:33 pm
Batfan175 wrote:

Your last paragraph is why I despise comic book nerds.

Comparing Whedon with Milton is indescribeable.
It comes from a need to defend or justify why adults read comics. People get really defensive over their hobbies that they try to make things out to be more pretentious than they actually are.

Batfan175 wrote:

It is ridiculous, it's campy and cheesy, and that's why I loved it so much. It has so many problems, especially with the dialogues and the choice of songs, but at the same time it's not ashamed of its origins.It's a comic book movie. Momoa wearing a orange and green suit, riding a seahorse and summoning fishs? C'mon, that's cool and fun as hell.
After seeing that whole Sicily scene you can say anything about this movie, good and bad, but that it's dark and gritty you can not.