Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
you guys have cracked the code. i can't believe it turns out not only are the oscars infallible, but actually an extremely narrow and biased bureaucracy!

we need to alert the public, we can't let this newly unearthed information stay in this thread. this is spotlight big...

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm
you guys have cracked the code. i can't believe it turns out not only are the oscars infallible, but actually an extremely narrow and biased bureaucracy!

we need to alert the public, we can't let this newly unearthed information stay in this thread. this is spotlight big...
Can I be Rachel McAdams in this scenario?

Again. It's not necessarily all about race. BlacKkKlansman is nominated and nobody is really up in arms about it. The reason people are talking about Black Panther possibly being nominated instead of some other films is mostly... it's popularity. Nobody really complained that BR2049 wasn't nominated instead of Darkest Hour because... mostly nobody has seen either of them.

The biggest noise I see around the Golden Globe nominations and films that shouldn't be nominated is Black Panther and... Bohemian Rhapsody. And it's because they were two of the biggest movies of the year.

I'm sure there is a minority of racist people who are offended by BP being nominated just because it represents black people... but you don't see them being offended by BlacKkKlansman either because, once again, they haven't even seen it.

Ruth wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 11:50 am
Nomis wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:31 am
I think one of the best scenes of the film is the
alternate future sequence where we see Hunt and co. killing police officers. With a close-up of Hunt at the end of the sequence and in the next scene going: yeah, fuck that shit.
Same goes for the scene with the female police officer.
yeeeeeesss

i almost got disappointed for a moment when it turned out to not be true
With "almost" being the key word :lol: I loved the message of those two scenes.

LelekPL wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 5:12 am
Again. It's not necessarily all about race. BlacKkKlansman is nominated and nobody is really up in arms about it. The reason people are talking about Black Panther possibly being nominated instead of some other films is mostly... it's popularity. Nobody really complained that BR2049 wasn't nominated instead of Darkest Hour because... mostly nobody has seen either of them.
Plenty of people complained about BR2049 not being nominated while Get Out was nominated.

@LelekPL: I think Blackkklansman is a much better movie than Black Panther. Maybe others feel that way too.

Regarding the comparison to 2049, I don't follow film twitter or reddit much, but at least people on this forum were quite upset that it didn't get much love. And I definitely remember people giving them shit for nominating Darkest Hour and The Post as well. So that's a completely ridiculous comparison.
Ruth wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 7:07 pm
Anarchy’s argument applies not only to genre, but race as well. It might be a controversial opinion, but it’s not the first time whenever a ‘black’ movie is in talks for major nominations that people throw all these ‘better’ films whataboutism-style that are usually ‘white’-made. It’s as if a black film needs to be ‘better’ than literally all of these white films for people to even consider it being worthy of a nomination. It CAN’T just be good on its own, no, it actually needs to surpass [insert x white film] to be worthy.

We have sooo fearmongered ourselves into this state of “fake pandering” that we raise SO MUCH HIGHER standarts for minority made films, especially black, because if it can’t be just good-to-great like maybe 80% of the nominees are, or sometimes even mediocre. It has to be a masterpiece, otherwise, it’s not genuine and playing a race card. Now I’m not saying HW doesn’t have a race/other social issues hypocrisy, and I don’t even worship Black Panther myself that much. But something’s up. Maybe not outward racism (directed at no one here), but maybe some subconscious racial bias or something, idk.
I don't want this to be a huge debate (especially not in the MI thread lol), but from my perspective you're missing the point. It's not about BP being great yet not good enough because it's made by black people. It's about the movie not being as good as people claim it to be, and that some might feel that by nominating it, the award shows takes the spotlight away from movies people feel are of a higher quality, only because Black Panther happens to be more relevant in the current cultural and political climate.

I don't think Black Panther is an Oscar caliber film. And that's not because it's a superhero movie and it's not because it's a film made by black people. Those things are a 100% irrelevant. It's because in my mind it's not that great in terms of quality. And apparently the Globes doesn't think the directing, writing or acting is good enough to nominated it for those things. Why does it get a picture nomination?

Sanchez, are you sure you’re not the one who’s missing the point? All of the things you said are perfectly valid and have a lot of truth in them, but I feel like the dialogue has since shifted from whether or not BP is worthy enough on its own merit, and more towards what the reaction and discussions it caused says about us (us, not NF, but the internet communities, everyone).

There’s A LOT of hypocrisy, over exaggeration and sensationalism at play on both sides of the coin - the media, us, etc. Which is why I never would want people to assume that I think racism or racial bias is the single element that caused all of these reactions and backlash, and what not. But you can’t just up and say it’s “100% irrelevant” when you only have yourself and a couple of people on here to compare everything to, as you said you don’t follow online film communities that much. Just because it’s irrelevant to you, and maybe like, 2 or 3 other members on here, doesn’t mean that discussions of how everyone’s treatment of BP, both hyperbolic adoration and abhorrent trashing, may relate to racism, are of no value. There are way more members that are, in some way or another, in agreement that there may be some type of bias or prejudice at play here, so are we all “missing the point”?

edit: besides, a film doesn’t need to have award worthy acting to get a best picture nom, and vice versa. And there are always more best picture slots then directing, of course not everyone’s going to get in. The nominations are awkward as hell for the most part, but that’s no thanks to BP, gosh lol.

Sanchez wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 12:08 pm
@LelekPL: I think Blackkklansman is a much better movie than Black Panther. Maybe others feel that way too.
Maybe, maybe not. But surely BP is more popular.

As for Get Out getting hate for being nominated instead of BR2049, that’s the first time I’m hearing about it. And frankly it sounds ridiculous. Get Out was one of the best nominated films that year and yes, it was better than BR2049. Films like Darkest Hour, The Post or hell, even Dunkirk should have been on the chopping block instead of Get Out.
Last edited by LelekPL on December 13th, 2018, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It was a hot take that was talked about a lot on Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook even. I was even in on the conversation myself explaining why Get Out was nominated and why it deserved the nomination.

Ruth wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 12:36 pm
Sanchez, are you sure you’re not the one who’s missing the point? All of the things you said are perfectly valid and have a lot of truth in them, but I feel like the dialogue has since shifted from whether or not BP is worthy enough on its own merit, and more towards what the reaction and discussions it caused says about us (us, not NF, but the internet communities, everyone).

There’s A LOT of hypocrisy, over exaggeration and sensationalism at play on both sides of the coin - the media, us, etc. Which is why I never would want people to assume that I think racism or racial bias is the single element that caused all of these reactions and backlash, and what not. But you can’t just up and say it’s “100% irrelevant” when you only have yourself and a couple of people on here to compare everything to, as you said you don’t follow online film communities that much. Just because it’s irrelevant to you, and maybe like, 2 or 3 other members on here, doesn’t mean that discussions of how everyone’s treatment of BP, both hyperbolic adoration and abhorrent trashing, may relate to racism, are of no value. There are way more members that are, in some way or another, in agreement that there may be some type of bias or prejudice at play here, so are we all “missing the point”?

edit: besides, a film doesn’t need to have award worthy acting to get a best picture nom, and vice versa. And there are always more best picture slots then directing, of course not everyone’s going to get in. The nominations are awkward as hell for the most part, but that’s no thanks to BP, gosh lol.
Alright, I thought you meant this forum more than the entire internet. Like you pointed out, I don't follow many other sites all that much, but sure I know there are racist trolls out there and I know about the Disney hate and all of that. But if there actually are "serious" conversations about the things you're describing, that's news to me. And I don't mean that in a "I don't belive you" way, I just haven't heard about it.

But I have to question the magnitude of those conversations, because I genuinely believe that the largest majority of people who aren't fond of BP's award recognition in the best picture categories (which I still believe is way less than the people who are pro that), feel that way because of the reasons I described, and not what you described.

Yeah I don't follow twitter at all but at least I'm on Reddit sometimes, and I have friends who follows these things closely. And outside of the obvious trolls, this is the first I've heard of (what almost sounds like when you describe it) an internet consensus that it doesn't deserve the recognition because it's a black film.