The End of Trumpocalypse: TBD!

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Snopes - Are 99% of Rape Allegations “Absolutely Fabricated”?
The only thing that appears to be “absolutely fabricated” here is that statistic.

Furthermore, sexual assaults are among the most underreported form of crime: a majority of rapes, attempted rapes, and other sexual assaults go unreported.

Estimates vary, but researchers have concluded that the percentage of rapes reported to formal agencies is “quite low, ranging from 5–33%.” This would suggest that the pool of victims in position to make credible claims is much larger than the pool of people included in analyses of false reporting.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/ ... 40/photo/1

New York Times - Kavanaugh’s Yearbook Page Is ‘Horrible, Hurtful’ to a Woman It Named

The Washington Post - Analysis | The Daily 202: Kavanaugh’s memory of himself in high school is very different than his portrayal in the yearbook

The New Yorker - Senate Democrats Investigate a New Allegation of Sexual Misconduct, from Brett Kavanaugh’s College Years

The New Yorker - The F.B.I. Probe Ignored Testimonies from Former Classmates of Kavanaugh

The Washington Post - D.C. Circuit sent complaints about Kavanaugh’s testimony to Chief Justice Roberts

Slate - I Was Brett Kavanaugh’s College Roommate - He lied under oath about his drinking and terms in his yearbook.

New York Times - The Senate Should Not Confirm Kavanaugh - Signed, 2,400+ Law Professors

The Hill - National Council of Churches calls for Kavanaugh's nomination to be withdrawn

Palm Beach Post - Retired [Republican-appointed] Supreme Court Justice [John Paul Stevens]: Kavanaugh does not belong on high court

New York Times - Democrats Denounce Limits on F.B.I.’s Kavanaugh Inquiry as a ‘Farce’

NBC News - Text messages suggest Kavanaugh wanted to refute accuser's claim before it became public

NBC News - The battle over accusations goes on as Kavanaugh nomination advances - Kavanaugh classmates ignored by the FBI speak out, reveal new text message

New York Times - Brett Kavanaugh letter in 1983: "Warn the neighbors that we're loud, obnoxious drunks with prolific pukers among us."

New York Times - Chad Ludington’s Statement on Kavanaugh’s Drinking and Senate Testimony

NBC News - Opinion | David Brock: The Brett Kavanaugh I knew shouldn't sit on the Supreme Court

The Hill - American Bar Association reopening Kavanaugh evaluation due to 'temperament'

Media Matters - Brett Kavanaugh lied repeatedly. News reports and personal accounts prove it.

ACLU - In Rare Move, ACLU to Oppose Kavanaugh for Supreme Court

Congratulations. Kavanaugh was drinking alcohol in college. His accuser has no witnesses, doesn't know when it happened, where it happened, and can't remember any details of the night. You can't destory an individual based on this. Also, his record as a judge is impeccable. Keep reaching for the stars.

MyCocaine wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 8:30 pm
Congratulations. Kavanaugh was drinking alcohol in college. His accuser has no witnesses, doesn't know when it happened, where it happened, and can't remember any details of the night. You can't destory an individual based on this. Also, his record as a judge is impeccable. Keep reaching for the stars.
WATCH: Dr. Christine Ford's testimony vs. Trump:
https://twitter.com/TheBeatWithAri/stat ... 0034982912 (video)

I would rather have you address the facts of this case.

Trump mocking her doesn't erase her lack of evidence and credibility.

Even if he's clean, dude's not stable. Calendars from 1982, evading questions, crying, shouting, mumbling, he's not fit for any important position.

MyCocaine wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 8:49 pm
I would rather have you address the facts of this case.

Trump mocking her doesn't erase her lack of evidence and credibility.
You are parroting a deflection used by people with a vested interest to see this guy confirmed as quickly as possible when there is no need to rush it other than the mid-term elections. Dr. Ford was also not the only woman who accused him of sexual offences and yet these other women were not asked to testify. If the FBI had been allowed to investigate all these allegations properly and over the course of several months we might have had a better overall picture of the situation. As it stands, it's clear that the Republicans only allowed for a week of investigations in order to pretend that the process was being respected and that everything was done to investigate these claims. It's a sham, is what it is.

Everything that happens with regards to the Supreme Court in the next 30-40 years is the fault of everyone who chooses to believe these monsters. When I look at American politics here's what I see: Republicans are (and have been for a very long time) an extremist, far-right political party that hates ethnic and religious minorities, wages class warfare against the poor on a daily basis, is owned by corporate oligarchs, and cannot get elected without voter suppression because of changing demographics within the voting population. They have strong authoritarian and fascistic tendencies and are openly willing to wage war on countries like Iran. They don't care about the environment and do not care about international law. This is what Kavanaugh represents as well and what he will enable on the Supreme Court.

The people who are laughing now because this confirmation 'owned the libs' will eventually also be affected by his rulings in a number of cases. I'm waiting to see if they are still laughing when their lives are being ruined by a deeply corporate Supreme Court. They may be having fun for a while but it will pass.

Batfan....rises?

The Washington Post - Analysis | By 2040, two-thirds of Americans will be represented by 30 percent of the Senate
“David Birdsell, dean of the school of public and international affairs at Baruch College, notes that by 2040, about 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states,” Seib wrote. “They will have only 30 senators representing them, while the remaining 30% of Americans will have 70 senators representing them.”
In 2016, a quarter of Senate seats represent 59.5 percent of the population. That same quarter will represent 60.3 percent of the population in 24 years. The difference is real, but subtle.

That list of the largest states outlined above reveals one reason that the Senate tends to work anyway: Senators from Texas and senators from New York don’t tend to vote the same way, nor do senators from the small states of Vermont and Wyoming.

Last April, we noted that the Senate was increasingly casting votes in which senators representing a minority of the population were defeating senators representing most of America. Whether that trend continues is one thing. What’s important to note is that, since the earliest days of the United States, it could have.

The Washington Post - Saudis are said to have lain in wait for Jamal Khashoggi
Before Khashoggi’s disappearance, U.S. intelligence intercepted communications of Saudi officials discussing a plan to capture him, according to a person familiar with the information. The Saudis wanted to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia and lay hands on him there, this person said. It was not clear whether the Saudis intended to arrest and interrogate Khashoggi or to kill him, or if the United States warned Khashoggi that he was a target, this person said.
New York Times - Suspects in Khashoggi Case Had Ties to Saudi Crown Prince

New York Times - Trump Says Saudi Prince Again Denies Knowledge of Khashoggi’s Fate

NBC News - 'Guilty until proven innocent': Trump defends Saudi Arabia in disappearance of writer Jamal Khashoggi
Donald Trump: "I think we have to find out what happened first. Here we go again with, you know, you're guilty until proven innocent. I don't like that. We just went through that with Justice Kavanaugh and he was innocent all the way as far as I'm concerned."
Innocent...just like Putin and Kavanaugh and Trump.

Middle East Eye - Jamal Khashoggi's killing took seven minutes, Turkish source tells MEE
It took seven minutes for Jamal Khashoggi to die, a Turkish source who has listened in full to an audio recording of the Saudi journalist's last moments told Middle East Eye.

Khashoggi was dragged from the Consul General’s office at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and onto the table of his study next door, the Turkish source said.

Horrendous screams were then heard by a witness downstairs, the source said.

"The consul himself was taken out of the room. There was no attempt to interrogate him. They had come to kill him,” the source told MEE.

The screaming stopped when Khashoggi - who was last seen entering the Saudi consulate on 2 October - was injected with an as yet unknown substance.

Salah Muhammad al-Tubaigy, who has been identified as the head of forensic evidence in the Saudi general security department, was one of the 15-member squad who arrived in Ankara earlier that day on a private jet.

Tubaigy began to cut Khashoggi’s body up on a table in the study while he was still alive, the Turkish source said.

The killing took seven minutes, the source said.

As he started to dismember the body, Tubaigy put on earphones and listened to music. He advised other members of the squad to do the same.

“When I do this job, I listen to music. You should do [that] too,” Tubaigy was recorded as saying, the source told MEE.

A three-minute version of the audio tape has been given to Turkish newspaper Sabah, but they have yet to release it.

"It couldn't possibly get worse" has lost its meaning for me.