'Interstellar' Nolan Fans Member Reviews

Christopher Nolan's 2014 grand scale science-fiction story about time and space, and the things that transcend them.
I admit I was disappointed with this movie on first viewing. I had pre-read Jonah Nolan's screenplay that leaked and I wished Chris Nolan had made that movie instead. But years later now, I recently watched the movie again on TV and I really liked the movie more. I enjoyed the movies for what it was and not for what I wanted it to be when I first watched it. Things that confused me the first time, I understood much better. I'd give it an 8/10.

Still confused by "what" Professor Brands "Plan A" was exactly and "why" it was impossible to do without adult Murph being sent the data by Cooper.

radewart wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 11:21 pm
I admit I was disappointed with this movie on first viewing. I had pre-read Jonah Nolan's screenplay that leaked and I wished Chris Nolan had made that movie instead. But years later now, I recently watched the movie again on TV and I really liked the movie more. I enjoyed the movies for what it was and not for what I wanted it to be when I first watched it. Things that confused me the first time, I understood much better. I'd give it an 8/10.

Still confused by "what" Professor Brands "Plan A" was exactly and "why" it was impossible to do without adult Murph being sent the data by Cooper.
I'm bit confused by your question because these plans are straightforwardly adressed in the movie. Could You explain this "what" and "why"?

Or maybe You are just curious about details in equations (which are not specified) something like "how the Inception-machine works"?

We need to enliven this forum :)

CASE wrote:
June 9th, 2018, 3:19 am
radewart wrote:

I'm bit confused by your question because these plans are straightforwardly adressed in the movie. Could You explain this "what" and "why"?

Or maybe You are just curious about details in equations (which are not specified) something like "how the Inception-machine works"?

In the movie, Professor Brand and Matt Damon's character say that "Plan A" was really never an option because, Brand (Michael Caine) could not solve the "gravity equation" to make the plan viable.

I guess I never understood what wasn't doable about transporting living people on Earth. Why can't NASA and other governments send a large number of current people on Earth to form a colony on one of the new planets, providing that Cooper and the rest, actually found a liveable planet.

Why couldn't they build more space shuttles like the one that carried Cooper and the others, and then they could send more people through the wormhole and ultimately to the new planet. You couldn't save everyone on Earth, but overtime you could bring a good deal of people through the wormhole.

radewart wrote:
June 9th, 2018, 6:00 pm
CASE wrote:
June 9th, 2018, 3:19 am
radewart wrote:

In the movie, Professor Brand and Matt Damon's character say that "Plan A" was really never an option because, Brand (Michael Caine) could not solve the "gravity equation" to make the plan viable.

I guess I never understood what wasn't doable about transporting living people on Earth. Why can't NASA and other governments send a large number of current people on Earth to form a colony on one of the new planets, providing that Cooper and the rest, actually found a liveable planet.

Why couldn't they build more space shuttles like the one that carried Cooper and the others, and then they could send more people through the wormhole and ultimately to the new planet. You couldn't save everyone on Earth, but overtime you could bring a good deal of people through the wormhole.
But your second paragraph is exactly (almost) plot of the film! You have to first send a group of guys to look for a habitable world. They send bunch of people (to see if it's even possible to leave the solar system). Brand/Cooper eventually acomplished that. Cooper sends data to finish plan A and saves the day - people can somehow leave the planet.

Besides that.
Ehm, costs? NASA (the largest agency in the world, payed by taxes) was pushed into the undergorund(!) because "we don't need television sets(...)".
So you are talking about some other agencies (can You name one without using Google) and just building other shuttles and just sending other people who "never left the simulator"?
Yeah... :)

It's maybe a bit simplified but perfectly logical to me.

And come on... We are talking about leaving our planet, getting to Saturn, flying into some freaking hole, praying for survive then going another miles to some planet. It don't looks to me like a piece of cake to repeat such procedures numerous times.

:)

Both of you didn't understand the idea behind plan A.

They couldn't send entire populations through the wormhole due to gravity and escape velocity. The whole NASA HQ was a huge spaceship that couldn't get off the ground because of its size and the amount of power and energy it would require. Without somehow manipulating the power of gravity the plan wasn't possible.

Prof Brand didn't have enough data to finish his research and couldn't solve the problem of gravity. He never believed he could without understanding the inner workings of black holes and what happens beyond the event horizon, information he was sure he couldn't obtain. It's only when Cooper sends the data to Murph that she can figure it out and get enough people of the planet.

LelekPL wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 12:37 pm
Both of you didn't understand the idea behind plan A.

They couldn't send entire populations through the wormhole due to gravity and escape velocity. The whole NASA HQ was a huge spaceship that couldn't get off the ground because of its size and the amount of power and energy it would require. Without somehow manipulating the power of gravity the plan wasn't possible.

Prof Brand didn't have enough data to finish his research and couldn't solve the problem of gravity. He never believed he could without understanding the inner workings of black holes and what happens beyond the event horizon, information he was sure he couldn't obtain. It's only when Cooper sends the data to Murph that she can figure it out and get enough people of the planet.
I understood that NASA HQ was a spaceship they wanted to send through the wormhole. I guess I'm nitpicking the fact the movie never really explains "why" that was the only way for transporting people through the wormhole, and not build several more ships like the "Endurance", ready to go once Cooper and the others send data back about a habitable planet.

Once again, they couldn't save a majority of people on Earth, but several hundred would start a good colony and its better than nothing. But that would let to the old Scfi trope in stories of "how" do you decide who gets picked to be saved. Who gets to travel to a new world from a dying Earth.

My 'explanation' was focused on building more shuttles as 'other way' argument.

Here's my idea of the ending: Since time moves differently depending on the distance, the reason why Cooper managed to go back to Murph when she was young is because it was only a couple of days since he left her, and when he entered the tessaract, he managed to return to that point where Murph was still a kid, and he somehow exists in two parallel timelines - the one he perceives (where only couple of days have passed), and the one that's beyond his perception (where decades have passed).