Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This one was hardly saved. Lets hope Solo is better.

Bacon wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 4:46 pm
This one was hardly saved.
Yeah, most unremarkable Star Wars movie for me.

Bacon wrote:
By every reasonable metric possible, it was saved beyond doubt.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 5:41 pm
Bacon wrote:
By every reasonable metric possible, it was saved beyond doubt.
That's true, but without revisiting our debates around Rogue One, there's a lot of people who think it's nearly unwatchable nonsense. I'm sadly among them, as are (anecdotally) many of my friends. Also some of the more reasonable Star Wars youtubers. IE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gf6qyAHOw&t=35s

-Vader

and a lot of people don’t think TFA or Last Jedi is any good. Who cares? All groups are in the minority.

Vader182 wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 7:10 pm
That's true, but without revisiting our debates around Rogue One, there's a lot of people who think it's nearly unwatchable nonsense. I'm sadly among them, as are (anecdotally) many of my friends. Also some of the more reasonable Star Wars youtubers. IE

-Vader
Arguably much fewer people think that, compared to the other two Star Wars films of the Kennedy era.£

Master Virgo wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 7:20 pm
Vader182 wrote:
April 5th, 2018, 7:10 pm

-Vader
Arguably much fewer people think that, compared to the other two Star Wars films of the Kennedy era.£
Not remotely true. Different criticisms. Rogue One is inarguable the online-Star-Wars- fan-fan-favorite, as shown by polls on Reddit and Twitter. There's obviously the greatest pool of overall criticism towards The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens, but not in this specific realm I mean.

I'm talking about on a pure logic scene to scene beat by beat level, Rogue One (especially the third act) makes literally no sense. No exaggeration, but it puts some of the worst Bond movies to shame for nonsensical plot. It's basically Star Wars by way of Transformers in how much it emphasizes drama and spectacle over plot and logic. I can elaborate on this if you'd like, but I wasn't looking to reignite any debate.

I was just remarking that while Armand's empirically correct, there's a sizable chunk of folks who think it's unwatchable as a result of the reshoots and shoddy script.

-Vader

Rogue One is my favourite Disney-LucasFilm era Star Wars movie so far.

@Vader: And I'm arguing, that the chunk is more sizeable for the other two.

On IMDb, 5.5% of the ratings for Awakens are 4/10 or less, for Jedi that's 13.9% and for Rogue One it's only 3.7%.

18,000 1/10s fo Awakens, 22,000 for Jedi and only 4,800 for Rogue One. It even has a lesser percentage of 1/10s compared to the big two OT films. Star Wars films have always had their loud detractors. For Rogue One it's not particularly a more extreme case.£