Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 1:50 am
Bacon wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 11:23 am
Inherent Vice

Wasn't bad but far from PTAs best. First hour or so had me hooked and then it just slowly falls apart here and there.
In a way, I feel the messy scatter-brained, and surreal nature of the film is a reflection of the characters themselves, they're forever alternating states between high and sober, and the general disillusion around the

It's an abstract film, but not in the way The Master is. With Vice, at times I couldn't tell if PTA was just going overboard or wasn't going far enough, if that makes sense. In spite of that, the last scene warmed my heart somehow, it just seemed like such a naive and earnest moment between the characters after a frankly zany adventure.

It's like a deconstruction of the early 20th genre detective noir, but also a parody.

IDK, I need to see it again.
Nah, it's just a incoherent mess and easily PTA's weakest.

Cilogy wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 1:50 am
Bacon wrote:
March 10th, 2018, 11:23 am
Inherent Vice

Wasn't bad but far from PTAs best. First hour or so had me hooked and then it just slowly falls apart here and there.
In a way, I feel the messy scatter-brained, and surreal nature of the film is a reflection of the characters themselves, they're forever alternating states between high and sober, and the general disillusion around the

It's an abstract film, but not in the way The Master is. With Vice, at times I couldn't tell if PTA was just going overboard or wasn't going far enough, if that makes sense. In spite of that, the last scene warmed my heart somehow, it just seemed like such a naive and earnest moment between the characters after a frankly zany adventure.

It's like a deconstruction of the early 20th genre detective noir, but also a parody.

IDK, I need to see it again.
Makes perfect sense. The whole time I kept having this feeling that each scene could've been improved with a little more of either. He balances it really well in other movies and I feel like the film could've been improved by a little more focus in those kinds of areas. I haven't read this one, but Pynchon in general is like the definition of abstract so I kind of knew what I was getting into and idk how much PTA is really to blame for much of this film. I just wish that the film went a little more "out there" in certain scenes. It surprisingly kept my attention for all of its 148 minutes, which is something I was not expecting to happen.

Bacon wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 2:41 am
I haven't read this one, but Pynchon in general is like the definition of abstract so I kind of knew what I was getting into and idk how much PTA is really to blame for much of this film.
if PTA adapted a weird book weirdly then there's no blame to lay. i think most criticisms people have of the film are it's successes

Yeah inherent vice is fucking awesome. but you really gotta watch it multiple times to realize that. lowkey it's a fascinating takedown of trickle down economics lmao.

Anyway it's my second favorite PTA film get at me

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 3:17 am
Bacon wrote:
March 11th, 2018, 2:41 am
I haven't read this one, but Pynchon in general is like the definition of abstract so I kind of knew what I was getting into and idk how much PTA is really to blame for much of this film.
if PTA adapted a weird book weirdly then there's no blame to lay. i think most criticisms people have of the film are it's successes
how do you mean?

Batman Begins (2005)

This was so much fun. It's striking how much lighter the tone is compared to the other ones in the series but still manages to take itsef very seriously. The jokes are funny and don't undermine the tension (take notes, Marvel), the cinematography is great, the actors are all really convincing (Katie Holmes less so but only because she has to compete with the likes of Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Cilian Murphy, Gary Odman and Liam Neeson). I can totally see why the script was originally meant as a Dr. Strange script. The action is not shot that well but the soundtrack is great.

What is interesting about this series of films, and is quite evident in this film, is that Chris Nolan is not 100% behind the choices of his protagonist from the very beginning and is able to observe him from a safe distance whilst being able to convey his inner turmoil to us. The decision that Batman makes on the train towards the end has huge long-standing ramifications and in retrospect that in itself showcases a much less positive assessment of Batman's impact. Some of the thematic parallels are also quite interesting: for instance, Talia in TDKR is essentially Bruce Wayne as he appears at Joe Chill's trial if Rachel hadn't given him shit for being a vengeful asshole and Bane seems to be Talia's enabler in that sense, whereas Rachel is standing up for what she believes in and is not afraid to confront Bruce about his wrongheaded ideas.

I do have to say that the Batman voice is at its best here and maybe they shouldn't have tinkered with it in later films as much.

9/10

Coco

I don't know maybe its because I just seen Moana but Coco kinda felt like a companion piece to Moana. In the sense that its a story about conquering what your heart wants against your family wishes.

This film is full of beauty, vivid colours, genuine emotions and I loved that it pays so much respect to Mexican culture. I really liked that some of jokes were said in Spanish but they were clever enough for non-Spanish speaking audience to understood the gist of it. It made the film more authentic. I’m not Mexican but I died of laughter with the way the grandma used her sandal as a weapon while pursuing her grandson. My greatest fear when I was a child was my mom's/grandma’s sandal. Actually, a lot of the family dynamic reminded me so much of my family.

I really liked it.

9/10

Tomb Raider

natalie wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 12:54 pm
Tomb Raider
That bad?

natalie wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 12:54 pm
Tomb Raider
How's Goggins?