2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:22 am
Happy for Lee Smith. Still can't believe he didn't get nominated for Inception.

The most baffling thing for me about Del Toro's win is that all some people are saying is that he's a nice guy and he deserves it.
Literally everyone on /r/movies. Nobody is talking about Shape of Water being a directorial achievment. Apparently he deserved it for being wholesome and loving cinema.

Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 12:57 pm
MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:22 am
Happy for Lee Smith. Still can't believe he didn't get nominated for Inception.

The most baffling thing for me about Del Toro's win is that all some people are saying is that he's a nice guy and he deserves it.
Literally everyone on /r/movies. Nobody is talking about Shape of Water being a directorial achievment. Apparently he deserved it for being wholesome and loving cinema.
You're funny.

What? I'm just saying what they think of Del Toro. Because that is literally what everyone there says. Not saying they're right or wrong.

His high-school friend and early collaborator Alex Singer particularly remembers them both going to see Alexander Nevsky (1938) – because immediately afterwards Kubrick bought an LP of the Prokofiev score and played it continuously, until he drove his younger sister so crazy she smashed the LP on his head.
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sigh ... -cinephile

Having read that I like to imagine all of the notable Oscar snubs on horseback, with Nolan and Kubrick in the front, charging at and plowing through an army of those golden statues with this playing in the background.
https://youtu.be/ycw7jGqU2_4?t=1415

The Shape of Water is, if nothing else, directorially amazing. It's a feat of vision and originality, and the fact GDT tricked audiences into believing his very strange fetish film B-movie is a Sirkian love story is kind of insane in the best way possible. And that the man who made it is delightful and as lovely can be added to the whole thing.

Shape of Water isn't my shit at all, but acting like it's this safe, boring, predictably obvious movie is completely insane. Even after it got raves out of Venice (I think), nobody thought it'd find an audience / get major awards. Shape of Water's pull happened slowly.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 2:13 pm
The Shape of Water is, if nothing else, directorially amazing. It's a feat of vision and originality, and the fact GDT tricked audiences into believing his very strange fetish film B-movie is a Sirkian love story is kind of insane in the best way possible. And that the man who made it is delightful and as lovely can be added to the whole thing.

Shape of Water isn't my shit at all, but acting like it's this safe, boring, predictably obvious movie is completely insane. Even after it got raves out of Venice (I think), nobody thought it'd find an audience / get major awards. Shape of Water's pull happened slowly.

-Vader
This man speaks some truth.

Vader182 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 2:13 pm

-Vader
I’ll give you all that, but originality? Come on man.

Edit: just saw his speech... wanted to hug the man. One of the kindest sweetest directors out there. And always so passionate about the craft.

He's like the living Totoro of the film industry. :D

Originality? The guy is just recycling himself at this rate.

I'll remain a loyal fan even after this and Crimson Peak which I really disliked. But it's really upsetting to see the director of Pan's Labyrinth (which I worship at the temple of, day and night) in this shape.£

Re-watching The Shape Of Water one thing was apparent.Why on earth was Octavia Spencer Oscar nominated for a supporting role ?