2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
He said a couple of years ago that he wants to make big budget films for the masses right now. That migth change in the future (howardhughes.com), but for now he makes blockbusters that are too accessible for the big awards.

Bacon wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:30 am
He doesn't make movies to be blockbusters unless they are the TDK trilogy.
Nah man, he was extremely and explicitly specific that he wanted Interstellar and Dunkirk to both be considered blockbusters.
Really I hadn't heard him state that. So he made those movies specifically to be blockbusters? That doesn't sound right to me.

And I forgot to include Interstellar in that category with TDK trilogy. He definitely had intentions of that being his Gravity type film.
Last edited by bootsy on March 5th, 2018, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sanchez wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 10:55 pm
Glad to see 2049 getting a win. But I really feel like the Apes trilogy has been snubbed.
Ditto, I thought the Apes had the best VFX of the year as much as I loved BR.

Yes, Nolan's films are mostly blockbuster.

I think he should stop making blockbuster to focus on smaller, more subtle and deep projects so that he can be more likely to get an Oscar, then he can continued with blockbusters.

His career has been extremely like Steven Spielberg's. Spielberg be came famous for his fantastic, iconic blockbusters, then he moved to smaller projects and started sweeping Oscars. After that, he came back to big films.

Nolan has had his "Raiders of The Lost Ark", what he needs now is his own "The Color Purple:.
Last edited by I Am The Night on March 5th, 2018, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/chris ... 202607836/
“We saw it as a blockbuster… It’s a strange [term] to use in relation to the subject matter, but we saw it as an entertainment, albeit one that’s intense and suspenseful. We wanted it to reach the widest audience possible, and that happens in summer.”
Not trying to be that guy, just saying that he definitely sees Dunkirk as a summer action movie.

Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:33 am
He said a couple of years ago that he wants to make big budget films for the masses right now. That migth change in the future (howardhughes.com), but for now he makes blockbusters that are too accessible for the big awards.
Making a big budget film doesn't mean you can't win or excluded from winning. He can still win making those types of movies.
Bacon wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:37 am
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/chris ... 202607836/
“We saw it as a blockbuster… It’s a strange [term] to use in relation to the subject matter, but we saw it as an entertainment, albeit one that’s intense and suspenseful. We wanted it to reach the widest audience possible, and that happens in summer.”
Not trying to be that guy, just saying that he definitely sees Dunkirk as a summer action movie.
No problem I got you. I just had never heard or seen him make that statement before. I'm a little surprised but like I said he can still win making movies like Dunkirk or Interstellar or Inception
Last edited by bootsy on March 5th, 2018, 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

bootsy wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:34 am
Really I hadn't heard him state that. So he made those movies specifically to be blockbusters? That doesn't sound right to me.
Idk if he's used the word blockbuster himself, but that's what he means. Big budgets, big marketing budgets, and making the movies PG-13 so that as many people as possible get to watch them. It's the same thing.

And seriously. The Academy in particular are biased towards blockbusters winning major categories. Except for director though.

bootsy wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:14 am
Does anyone think Nolan/a Nolan movie will ever win a Academy Award? Or do you care?

I personally don't care but I of course would be happy if he did. I just feel disappointed that this was supposed to be his moment. After seeing the movie in July I was like the Oscars are a lock for him.
Bacon wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:06 am
Bacon wrote:
December 22nd, 2017, 7:53 pm
It will be nominated for like 10 Academy Awards and win 3.
But you didn't say which 3. :lol:
At this point I don’t think he will ever win. I’m super happy he got the nom but I don’t think he’s ever going to make a film with higher ratings from main critics than this. Maybe if the timing in the year was better for Oscar season it would’ve faired better (which it is bullshit how movies can get kind of get forgotten if they release earlier) and maybe in the future he’ll release one in the future that is huge and at the right time of year.

Do I care if he never wins? It would be a bitter lie for me to say no as he’s done so much in his career.

The more important question is what do I care about more, him winning or him continuing to do his thing and not pander to what the critics need for an oscar (timing, the right topic, etc)? I will take his vision in what he wants to do over him not winning an award any day.

I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:36 am
I think he should stop making blockbuster to focus on smaller, more subtle and deep projects to earn an Oscar, then he can continued with blockbusters.
I hope he never stops doing what he want just so that he can earn himself an Oscar. History tells us that a lot of the greatest filmmakers of all time have zero or almost no awards at all.

If he wanna continue to make blockbusters forever, he should do that. Sure I want him to make his Hughes project, but whenever he does, he's not gonna do it because he want to win an Oscar for it. He's gonna do it when he feels it's the right choice for his career.

Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:41 am
I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:36 am
I think he should stop making blockbuster to focus on smaller, more subtle and deep projects to earn an Oscar, then he can continued with blockbusters.
I hope he never stops doing what he want just so that he can earn himself an Oscar. History tells us that a lot of the greatest filmmakers of all time have zero or almost no awards at all.

If he wanna continue to make blockbusters forever, he should do that. Sure I want him to make his Hughes project, but whenever he does, he's not gonna do it because he want to win an Oscar for it. He's gonna do it when he feels it's the right choice for his career.
No, I dont mean that he should stop doing blockbusters for awhile to get Oscar.

As much as I love his films, I have to admit that they lack some kind of deep meaning. Sure his writing is awesome, complex as hell and his directing is fantastic but I wanna see a more hearted, deep with subtle meaning movie from him. Steven Spielberg used to create magical from Blockbusters, but then he moved too other project like "The Color Purple" or "Schinder's List" and that's when he shined.

PS: Just edit my post.
Last edited by I Am The Night on March 5th, 2018, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.