Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
my doubt lies in the fact that despite voters being so rough on dunkirk , how come it get the best picture or best director nomination?

If they didnt understand why d **** did they nominate it in the first place

666kalpa wrote:
March 3rd, 2018, 3:11 pm
my doubt lies in the fact that despite voters being so rough on dunkirk , how come it get the best picture or best director nomination?

If they didnt understand why d **** did they nominate it in the first place
I do think they pick the stupidest people for these anonymous oscar ballots things b/c if I remember most of them bashed "The Revenant" but it still won Besr Cinematography, BD, and Best Actor.

Then again it was these anon ballots that made me realize, before the show, that How to Train Your Dragon 2 would lose to Big Hero 6 (i.e. lest we forget that one anonymous voter who called "Song of the Sea" and "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" and i semi-quote from memory... "obscure freaking Chinese f-cking things no one's heard of")

At this point I am just looking forward to the Oscars being over. I've kinda had enough of it by now with all the politicizing of the awards, instead of actual merit. If Nolan and Dunkirk weren't nominated, I'd probably not even watch.

For me Dunkirk and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri deserves for Oscar. Dunkirk - director TBOEM - movie

radewart wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 12:58 am
At this point I am just looking forward to the Oscars being over. I've kinda had enough of it by now with all the politicizing of the awards, instead of actual merit. If Nolan and Dunkirk weren't nominated, I'd probably not even watch.
I'm not watching anyway. Knowing Nolan is going to lose an award he should objectively win with one hand tied around his back coupled with arrogant Hollywood politics makes that decision a no-brainer.

I'll probably end up watching some old films nominated for past oscars... seems like a better way to spend time.

1 to 3 Oscars - that's what we're expecting, right? Hopefully it won't go empty-handed tonight, fingers crossed.

Innovator wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 12:41 pm
1 to 3 Oscars - that's what we're expecting, right? Hopefully it won't go empty-handed tonight, fingers crossed.
In an ideal world it would walk away with both sound awards and editing easy as pie.

But I think the only almost-sure-thing is Sound Editing... even then it's not 100%.

Editing will probably go to "Baby Driver" which I haven't seen but I'm sure it's more straightforward and it won the BAFTA, which has been really a fantastic predictor for the Editing Oscar as of late.

At the very least I hope it wins *something*... maybe both sound awards.

I don’t think Dunkirk will win Director or Film anymore. Maybe Cinematography.

I’m just really hoping Zimmer gets the recognition he deserves...

This seems like the most unpredictable Best Picture category I can recall. I’m very excited to watch tonight and I hope Dunkirk can nab a few awards :clap:

Last edited by CoMeT on March 4th, 2018, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willem wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 2:11 pm
I don’t think Dunkirk will win Director or Film anymore. Maybe Cinematography.

I’m just really hoping Zimmer gets the recognition he deserves...
The only way Nolan would win BD at this point is if the lack of "3 Billboards" means everyone who would've voted for it and had been throughout awards season threw their support behind Nolan.