Dunkirk Awards Season Discussion Thread

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
Desplat's a great composer, but his Shape of Water score is autopilot movie scoring.

Bacon wrote:
February 25th, 2018, 7:11 pm
Desplat's a great composer, but his Shape of Water score is autopilot movie scoring.
I agree 100%. I expected there to be something... ANYTHING.... from it that warranted its sweeping wins this award season.
But no...
Then again I expected the same out of Del Toro's directing, and was VERY disappointed and left thinking "this is it? THIS is what's going to win the Oscar? Are you serious?"

And I was originally okay/at peace with him beating Nolan prior to seeing the film since I tend to like Del Toro's work (and he should've won something for "Pan's Labyrinth")

Ace

Spielberg has not been rewarded enough in the past.£

Not for his directing. Although he is the person with the most PGA wins and noms by far. With those and his Oscar/DGA wins, he has like ten times more awards than Nolan in the major awards.

But Nolan only has fucking one lol

Sanchez wrote:
February 26th, 2018, 2:32 pm
Not for his directing. Although he is the person with the most PGA wins and noms by far. With those and his Oscar/DGA wins, he has like ten times more awards than Nolan in the major awards.

But Nolan only has fucking one lol

Question... with all the rules changes to the Academy recently haven't there been some changes to how many voters there are, and who is given membership recently?

If so... do you think that's having an impact on Dunkirk's snubs?

We don't know how many members in total they have exactly because they won't tell, but we know they invited a lot more members than usual this year, and that they have seemed to be more diverse in who they pick, getting more coloured people and also younger people than usual. With that change and the preferential bailot voting system which is also fairly new, upsets can definitely happen.

Nobody predicted Moonlight winning last year. But it did win more stuff than Dunkirk and was also the number one best rated movie of 2016 and got writing and acting awards as well. So it had more going for it.

Sadly Dunkirk is 100% a Best Picture, but it wont win because films now are considered better outside of what they are. If a film tackles anything social, it's ranking just sky rockets. We are in an era where they don't really care about what a "Best Picture" is filmmaking wise.