The Death and Life of John F. Donovan (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Stylish. I sense we're getting a whole bunch of those lol.

Need to watch more from Dolan. Mommy was exceptional

BlairCo wrote:It's Only the End of the World was so painful to sit through, even though it could have just been a 20 minute short film. And even though Dolan is becoming a self-indulgent twat, this feels like something engaging and fascinating. Chastain in cold-hearted bitch mode is her best mode (watch Miss Sloane), and this is a fine cast. I'm just scared Dolan is so blinded by his self-indulgence that this might be a bloated dud.
what an apt description :lol:

From Xavier Dolan's Instagram:
“What you need to hear from me is that Jessica Chastain’s character, after what was a long period of reflection, had to be cut from the film. It was an extremely difficult decision to make. I feel, toward Jessica, a very sincere love, and a great admiration. The decision was editorial and narrative, in that it has nothing to do with a performance, and everything to do with a character, and the compatibility of its storyline. This ‘villain’ subplot, albeit funny and entertaining, didn’t feel like it belonged to the rest of the story, which ended up not being on heroes or their nemesis, bur rather on childhood, and its dreams. There is, in this film, a conversation on show business, yes, but it was in the family dynamics - and, once again, in mothers and sons relationships - that the heart of this film resided".
There is a lengthier version on his Instagram, but the production of this movie sounds like a complete mess, and he's trying to cover it up by saying "I've dedicated my entire life to the art of filmmaking" and blah blah blah. I would not be surprised if this movie is a critical failure.

Oku
Wha??

Based on the pic in the first post, I had assumed that she was the main character...

This is devastating. She was one of the biggest factors that made me excited about the movie.

They should learn to edit the movie while writing it instead of shoving things that are not essential to the story.

These days I'd edit out Chastain from my movie, too. This guy, whom I have no idea what he has done as an artist, earned my respect. #timesup :lol:

Rohan wrote:
February 6th, 2018, 5:00 am
These days I'd edit out Chastain from my movie, too. This guy, whom I have no idea what he has done as an artist, earned my respect. #timesup :lol:
Who hurt you? What was her name?

The guy is on a mission.£