Box Office

The 2017 World War II thriller about the evacuation of British and Allied troops from Dunkirk beach.
MyCocaine wrote:I agree, that the power of One Direction fanatics cannot be underestimated.

They had a concert film, which made $68 mil in box office alone. That's just crazy.
Think it all really depends on what big of a role Harry indeed has. Yes, even if he's only on screen for a little bit that will still have fans running into the cinemas and even multiple times when they're 'hardcore'. But casual fans I imagine would only go see it once when he has a minor role. But since we know nothing about his role as of yet, it's hard to say.

Also, I think it's safe to say that especially tumblr/twitter Harry fans will know about how big of a role he has before actually going to the movies. Every single 1D album has been leaked before it officially dropped and I'm not saying this to say that the film will leak but people who will be first to attend screenings are gonna talk and maybe trying to sneak a camera in. If successful that could either hurt or help the ticket sales, depending really if it hypes the movie more or less for Harry fans.

Btw, "This Is Us" was not purely concert but was marketed as a "Behind the scenes" and "the real 1D" insight film. 1D fans care about the boys' personal life sometimes really more than the music, so that's also a reason why that movie was such a success. A pure concert movie would have never garnered so much attention.

Also another note: There is a lot of drama in the 1D fandom, so depending on the situation in July next year, there are two options furthermore: 1) the majority of 1D fans in general will go see the movie if 1D has not yet officially split up and there is no divide between the band members as the press currently likes to present it (who knows what is the actual truth) 2) only Harry fans will come, which still will be a lot but of course having the whole fanbase backing the film would be better.

(Sorry for this long ass post, just trying to give some perspective, having been in the 1D fandom for almost 4 years.)

We've been infiltrated. Please, don't ruin our thing.

Demelza wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:I agree, that the power of One Direction fanatics cannot be underestimated.

They had a concert film, which made $68 mil in box office alone. That's just crazy.
Think it all really depends on what big of a role Harry indeed has. Yes, even if he's only on screen for a little bit that will still have fans running into the cinemas and even multiple times when they're 'hardcore'. But casual fans I imagine would only go see it once when he has a minor role. But since we know nothing about his role as of yet, it's hard to say.

Also, I think it's safe to say that especially tumblr/twitter Harry fans will know about how big of a role he has before actually going to the movies. Every single 1D album has been leaked before it officially dropped and I'm not saying this to say that the film will leak but people who will be first to attend screenings are gonna talk and maybe trying to sneak a camera in. If successful that could either hurt or help the ticket sales, depending really if it hypes the movie more or less for Harry fans.

Btw, "This Is Us" was not purely concert but was marketed as a "Behind the scenes" and "the real 1D" insight film. 1D fans care about the boys' personal life sometimes really more than the music, so that's also a reason why that movie was such a success. A pure concert movie would have never garnered so much attention.

Also another note: There is a lot of drama in the 1D fandom, so depending on the situation in July next year, there are two options furthermore: 1) the majority of 1D fans in general will go see the movie if 1D has not yet officially split up and there is no divide between the band members as the press currently likes to present it (who knows what is the actual truth) 2) only Harry fans will come, which still will be a lot but of course having the whole fanbase backing the film would be better.

(Sorry for this long ass post, just trying to give some perspective, having been in the 1D fandom for almost 4 years.)
Considering he was chosen amongst hundreds of people and went in to read six times, I think it's safe to assume it isn't just a 5 minute role. According to the casting director it was a long casting process.

Would love to see the looks on all their faces Tom Hardy blows him up in the first 5 minutes. Ultimate troll on Nolan's part.

I don't think the WW2 setting will garner as much interest as Nolan's previous films. But Nolan's name alone should make the movie pretty successful. I'll say it does noticeably less then Interstellar, but still a success.
Last edited by stanley on July 29th, 2016, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

I predict the $150 million budget and $500 million of total box-office.

Lots of competition, 2 weeks before Dunkirk is Spiderman and 1 week before Dunkirk is War of the Planet of the Apes =/

2 bucks

Slightly less than Interstellar.

Definitely less than Interstellar. Sci-fi movies > war movies at the box office

I'd say about 50 million opening weekend. And then it depends how good the film is. If it's amazing/great then it could reach just under 200 million domestically and 600 million worldwide.

If it's good I'd say under 150 million domestically and under 450 million worldwide. And that's what I'd put my money on.

If it's rated R, which I doubt it will be, we might detract about 10-15 million from the domestic gross. An R-rating shouldn't influence the worldwide gross at all, though. Since both PG-13 and R-rated films, have a "15" category in other countries.

Finally, if it's a mixed reaction then I guess this might be Nolan's first missfire at the BO since what? The Prestige? Or maybe even Batman Begins.