Writing Process for Following

The 1998 feature film about a young writer who follows strangers for material meets a thief who takes him under his wing.
Does anyone else think that Nolan wrote this film backwards? I mean I would too if I thought of an ending that clever.

Any movie with a (good) twist is usually written backwards in one way or another. The twist has to make sense so the rest of the story needs to accomodate it. So, in a sense, you could say it was probably written backwards.

Yeah. It probably was. One day I hope that Nolan could do an interview with the people on the board and answer all our questions. I'm really intrigued by the way he works and would love to learn more about it.

akv1984 wrote:Yeah. It probably was. One day I hope that Nolan could do an interview with the people on the board and answer all our questions. I'm really intrigued by the way he works and would love to learn more about it.
I hope so too. But it'd just turn into a ton of questions about Batman.

Eternalist wrote:
akv1984 wrote:Yeah. It probably was. One day I hope that Nolan could do an interview with the people on the board and answer all our questions. I'm really intrigued by the way he works and would love to learn more about it.
I hope so too. But it'd just turn into a ton of questions about Batman.
That's true. If that does happen, then there can be a moderator who swifts through the questions and if too many Batman ones pop up, then the mod can dispose them. That's what they did with the Blu Ray thing when people asked a bunch of stupid questions.

I don't know about Following, but I have an article from premiere magazine about Memento where Nolan said that he wrote the screemplay in the same order than the movie (backwards). That's not a easy way, seriusly. Even he ask the actors if they prefer follow the srcipt or play it in the original order.

I don't know about you, but before Batman, I still have tons of questions about Memento.

I found the article:

...[]From the beginning, Nolan felt that the only way to tell Leonard's story was in the first person. Eventually he saw how he could do that. "If you tell the story backwards, you're withholding the appropiate knowledge from the audience. Once I had that, I was able to write the script pretty quickly." He did not, as one might reasonably expect, map out the story from start to finish and then reverse the scenes. " I wrote it from page one to page 125. You work it through and say, ' Does that hold up logically? ' "...[]

Right now, I am writing a feature length script which is Non-liniair and I am writing it that way. Though the patern of the movie is the same all the way through in 3 timelines:

Scene 1
Scene A
Scene I
Scene 2
Scene B
Scene II
Scene 3
Scene C
Scene III

Etc. untill the story is finished. The actual liniair story line will be A, B, C, I, II, III, 1, 2, 3. Due to this structure, it is quite easy to get a hold on the story and follow it, not just the viewer but also me, the writer. Memento a different structure, but there is a structure. Writing it backwards is good possible and maybe even easier ('cause the movie will be that way too). Now, Following is different. As far as I know, it did not have a structure. Scenes where randomly cut. I don't know if Nolan wrote it as one continieud part and than cut it, or wrote it in different parts.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

I'm also working on a script. I'm writing it backwards, since I have the idea of the end

Nolan should sign up on Nolan Fans. ;)

Hahah. A fan of himself? 8-)