Who's seen Following?

The 1998 feature film about a young writer who follows strangers for material meets a thief who takes him under his wing.
dagn96 wrote:I have one question though. Why does it say: "From the director of Memento" if Following was made in 1998 and Memento was made in 2000 :?:

Following was not really seen during its initial run. It was finally released on DVD after Memento, hence the why it was marketed as "From The Director of Memento". Memento was huge at the time (and still is I suppose).

I have just finished watching Following.

Wow, I really liked it! It's a very clever film! I think it has the most in common with The Prestige considering the story-telling techniques. Showing scenes at the beginning of the movie from the end of it, the whole non-linear story-telling... it's very Nolanish. And again: it's very clever.

One interesting thing: the Batman-logo on the door. Maybe Nolan knew that he will make it? :D I'm sure he did.

DHOPW42 wrote:One interesting thing: the Batman-logo on the door. Maybe Nolan knew that he will make it? :D I'm sure he did.
I don't think so. Following was shot on location. I think that the Batman sticker was there before they started shooting, and was there after they finished. It's just on that door.
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.

Erik wrote:I don't think so. Following was shot on location. I think that the Batman sticker was there before they started shooting, and was there after they finished. It's just on that door.
I don't agree with you. I attended a course about filmmaking, and one thing I learned is that a director has to consider the tinies little thing on the set. I know the budget was really low, but I'm sure it was their own idea to put that Batman-sticker on the door. It's nearly an unsignificant part of the movie but that can't be "accidentaly" there.

DHOPW42 wrote:I don't agree with you. I attended a course about filmmaking, and one thing I learned is that a director has to consider the tinies little thing on the set. I know the budget was really low, but I'm sure it was their own idea to put that Batman-sticker on the door. It's nearly an unsignificant part of the movie but that can't be "accidentaly" there.

You're right. You'd be surprised how much thought goes into the smallest details of a film. With some of the best filmmakers, such as Nolan, no object is on-screen at random, almost everything has a reason to be there. Following astounded me because Nolan showed such a great understanding of visual meaning for a first-time director. I believe that the Batman symbol on the door might have been intentional. Nolan is a fan of Batman. But it also may have been symbolic in some way.

DHOPW42 wrote:
Erik wrote:I don't think so. Following was shot on location. I think that the Batman sticker was there before they started shooting, and was there after they finished. It's just on that door.
I don't agree with you. I attended a course about filmmaking, and one thing I learned is that a director has to consider the tinies little thing on the set. I know the budget was really low, but I'm sure it was their own idea to put that Batman-sticker on the door. It's nearly an unsignificant part of the movie but that can't be "accidentaly" there.
I might be wrong, I'd have to check again, but I believe that Christopher Nolan said during the commentary that that door was Jeremy Theobald's real apartment door. The Batman sticker was on there prior to shooting, and so was many of the items in his bedroom. I heard that all they did was remove Jeremy's computer and replaced it with a type-writer for the film.

It was a very low-budget movie so Nolan couldn't really do much for adding items, he worked with what he had.

There's also a scene in Memento where Guy Pearce drives out of an ally, and there is a comic book store on the other side of the street with a Batman sign. That was shot on-location.

Most of those are probably "accidental". I'm sure Nolan was very aware there was Batman signs in his films, but I don't think he went out of his way to do it.

Oh, I didn't know these things. Well, then I was wrong as hell, but please forgive me: I don't have the DVD and I'm sure I never will because I have no chance to get it.

DHOPW42 wrote:Oh, I didn't know these things. Well, then I was wrong as hell, but please forgive me: I don't have the DVD and I'm sure I never will because I have no chance to get it.
Amazon has it. :D

chee wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:Oh, I didn't know these things. Well, then I was wrong as hell, but please forgive me: I don't have the DVD and I'm sure I never will because I have no chance to get it.
Amazon has it. :D
Yeah, but I'm sure its regioncode is 1, what means that it's only compatible with DVD players from North America, and I'm from Europe, so... :(

Use Amazon.co.uk for the region 2 DVD ;)
I can't buy from Amazon, they only accept payment options I do not use (credit cards, debit cards and stuff). But maybe you can ;)
David emerges from the store slowly. He braces himself against a parked car and then keeps on walking in a nightmarish daze.

WE PULL BACK as David blends in with dozens and dozens of ordinary people, walking on an ordinary street, in an ordinary city.