Does 'Oppenheimer' finally tell us that Nolan isn't a Tory?

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Bacon wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 4:15 pm
physicshistoryguy wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 4:04 pm
Bacon wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 3:26 pm

Agreed. It can go the other way though. Many people surrounded by right-wing atrocities rightfully go out of their way to try to distance themselves from that kind of thinking. And, as a result, people on both ends very coincidentally forget the moments where the film explicitly takes a stance if it helps their own narrative.
I've seen posts on social media being like "I wish the film acknowledged the bomb as a weapon of genocide" from people who are clearly (or ignorantly) unaware that the film has a whole conversation devoted to that. Or the guy replying to me here, saying the film doesn't resist the idea of the bombs being necessary - seemingly clueless of the conversation where Oppenheimer outright tells Teller they unnecessarily bombed a country on its knees. Nolan is clearly calling attention to the bomb as an atrocity while still showing all the angles that allowed such an atrocity to be shaped with potentially noble intentions. That does not invalidate the fact that the film has multiple moments where it almost looks directly into the camera and calls the bomb the worst thing that's ever happened.
An artist can take a clear stance on a topic and still show nuance to said issues. Media literacy is legitimately suffocating, and it sucks.

But no, Nolan's not a conservative and anyone reading his films (especially this film) that way is missing or willfully ignoring some pretty enormous thematic statements.
Well although the film does include the Oppenheimer/Teller conversation where they briefly mention Blackett's thesis, it also, during the Interim Committee scene (if I remember correctly, since I haven't seen the film in a week and a half), relies on the "bomb or invade" myth that's so prevalent and so disregarded by current historical scholarship. That tends to be used as the typical conservative justification for the use of the bomb, so its inclusion here is probably something conservatives will latch onto without realizing it's a myth.
I agree. But that's my point. People confuse art presenting an oppositional viewpoint as the piece of art "supporting" it - even when the film explicitly supports the other viewpoint and is only showing the oppositional viewpoint to add nuance and to add a better understanding of the angles surrounding an issue. And unlike what poplar is trying to say, a film isn't somehow made worse or less complex because it actively chooses to take a stance. Art can do both. It's always been able to. A movie can present two conflicting ideologies, give nuance behind both perspectives, while also working as a statement from the author to support one over the other.
The film can take the stance that dropping the bomb is bad and unnecessary while also explaining why the scientists made it and why Oppenheimer may have felt pressured by the government to encourage/excuse its use.

The same guy who states they have to "use the bomb or be invaded" is painted as an irreprehensible representation of American nationalistic ignorance when he says they've chosen not to bomb Kyoto because he and his wife vacation there.
Oh I fully agree that a film can put forth viewpoints without supporting them - I expect a film like Oppenheimer to do so - but it's a different matter when the viewpoints being put forth are inaccurate or based in myth, especially if they're myths that keep getting reused again and again. The bombs were dropped for a variety of reasons (the film's good at making clear Oppenheimer's personal reasons, for instance) - and opposed for a variety of reasons (Szilard's and Blackett's are featured here of course) - but because the "bomb or invade" framework is ahistorical, its inclusion here can be seen as disingenuous.

And since you bring him up specifically, the guy we're talking about - Secretary of War Henry Stimson - is kind of emblematic of the problem I'm talking about. He's kind of reduced into a caricature; you wouldn't get any impression from how he's portrayed in the film that he thought of the bomb, not as a weapon, but as something radically different that needed special attention in the postwar; or that he was one of those in Truman's cabinet who argued in favor of relaxing the demand for unconditional surrender; or that he didn't think too highly about the firebombing of Japan, writing in his diary that "I did not want to have the United States get the reputation of outdoing Hitler in atrocities" (although the Stimson in the film briefly notes the lack of protest in America over the firebombing practice); or that he didn't honeymoon in Kyoto, like the film suggests, nor did he remove Kyoto on a whim, but fought against opposition from Groves and others in the Army Air Force to keep Kyoto off the list of targets, even taking his case directly to Truman (why he felt so strongly about Kyoto is not known for sure, although the reason he gave at the time was that it was an important city culturally). What I'm trying to get at is that the impression the film gives of Stimson - "an irreprehensible representation of American nationalistic ignorance" - is pretty wrong, as the real guy was much more complex, and if the film is trying (as it should!) to show alternate viewpoints then it should probably get them right.

Just wanted to point out this one exchange from the film. Not sure how it plays into everything else that's being discussed here.

But there's a moment after they're looking at images from Hiroshima/Nagasaki post-bombing (the one where Oppenheimer looks away). Outside, he tells Teller that he just learned from Stimson that they "bombed an enemy that was essentially defeated". I remember this exchange further complicating the motivations behind dropping the bomb.

Can anyone point out the purpose of the inclusion of this moment in the movie? And how it ties into real history, i.e. the bomb/invade discussion.

viggykich wrote:
August 4th, 2023, 1:11 am
Just wanted to point out this one exchange from the film. Not sure how it plays into everything else that's being discussed here.

But there's a moment after they're looking at images from Hiroshima/Nagasaki post-bombing (the one where Oppenheimer looks away). Outside, he tells Teller that he just learned from Stimson that they "bombed an enemy that was essentially defeated". I remember this exchange further complicating the motivations behind dropping the bomb.

Can anyone point out the purpose of the inclusion of this moment in the movie? And how it ties into real history, i.e. the bomb/invade discussion.
Well it is true that after the war (and very quickly too, within months of the atomic bombings), Oppenheimer began to feel, and say publicly, that the atomic bombs were used against an already defeated enemy (and didn't criticize books that were critical of the decision to use the bomb or ascribed it to more complicated motivations, even if Oppenheimer himself advocated using the bomb during the war and didn't explicitly express regret over it later). On this, Bird and Sherwin say that "after the war [Oppenheimer] came to believe that he had been misled, and that this knowledge served as a constant reminder that it was henceforth his obligation to be skeptical of what he was told by government officials." Now, I don't think we know how or when Oppenheimer came to this conclusion; I'm not sure he got it from Stimson (although they met at least once after the war), and I don't know if Stimson ever explicitly put it this way.

As for how it ties into the bomb/invade discussion, I should first clarify that the idea that American officials framed the end of the war in terms of a binary choice between using the atomic bomb or invading is a post-war myth (in fact, you can date its origin to a magazine article from February 1947 ghostwritten by McGeorge Bundy for Stimson to justify the atomic bombs in the wake of criticism of their use). From what I understand, the general idea was that the Allies were throwing everything they had at Japan - firebombing, a blockade, the atomic bombs, the Soviets, the invasion - and if one or more of these ended the war, then good, but nobody could be sure that the war would be over without an invasion. As Alex Wellerstein, a nuclear historian, has put it, the way it was framed wasn't "bomb or invade" but rather "to bomb and to invade, and to have the Soviet invade, and to blockade, and so on." Now how does this factor into the fact that Japan was essentially defeated (as they arguably were)? Well defeat is not the same as surrender. Although there was a faction in the Japanese government trying to see if there was an option to end the war through the Soviet Union without surrendering unconditionally (as the Truman administration was well aware, having intercepted these communications), the dominant military faction was resolutely opposed to surrender. It can be argued, however, that Japan would have surrendered around the same time due to other factors - primarily the Soviet invasion of Manchuria - and it's still a matter of debate among historians whether the Soviet invasion was more important than the atomic bombings in leading to Japan's surrender (at the very least, the Soviet invasion was just as important).

physicshistoryguy wrote:
August 4th, 2023, 12:42 pm
viggykich wrote:
August 4th, 2023, 1:11 am

Well it is true that after the war (and very quickly too, within months of the atomic bombings), Oppenheimer began to feel, and say publicly, that the atomic bombs were used against an already defeated enemy (and didn't criticize books that were critical of the decision to use the bomb or ascribed it to more complicated motivations, even if Oppenheimer himself advocated using the bomb during the war and didn't explicitly express regret over it later). On this, Bird and Sherwin say that "after the war [Oppenheimer] came to believe that he had been misled, and that this knowledge served as a constant reminder that it was henceforth his obligation to be skeptical of what he was told by government officials." Now, I don't think we know how or when Oppenheimer came to this conclusion; I'm not sure he got it from Stimson (although they met at least once after the war), and I don't know if Stimson ever explicitly put it this way.

As for how it ties into the bomb/invade discussion, I should first clarify that the idea that American officials framed the end of the war in terms of a binary choice between using the atomic bomb or invading is a post-war myth (in fact, you can date its origin to a magazine article from February 1947 ghostwritten by McGeorge Bundy for Stimson to justify the atomic bombs in the wake of criticism of their use). From what I understand, the general idea was that the Allies were throwing everything they had at Japan - firebombing, a blockade, the atomic bombs, the Soviets, the invasion - and if one or more of these ended the war, then good, but nobody could be sure that the war would be over without an invasion. As Alex Wellerstein, a nuclear historian, has put it, the way it was framed wasn't "bomb or invade" but rather "to bomb and to invade, and to have the Soviet invade, and to blockade, and so on." Now how does this factor into the fact that Japan was essentially defeated (as they arguably were)? Well defeat is not the same as surrender. Although there was a faction in the Japanese government trying to see if there was an option to end the war through the Soviet Union without surrendering unconditionally (as the Truman administration was well aware, having intercepted these communications), the dominant military faction was resolutely opposed to surrender. It can be argued, however, that Japan would have surrendered around the same time due to other factors - primarily the Soviet invasion of Manchuria - and it's still a matter of debate among historians whether the Soviet invasion was more important than the atomic bombings in leading to Japan's surrender (at the very least, the Soviet invasion was just as important).
Very very interesting. Thank you!

If, if, if Nolan was a right-winger... so what?

... wait so this is not a meme, people actually ever thought Nolan was conservative ? wow.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 4:45 pm
... wait so this is not a meme, people actually ever thought Nolan was conservative ? wow.
By Hollywood standards, yes... Especially after TDK, TDKR, Dunkirk and TENET (the controversy of non-postponement). Where I live most leftwing people don't like him very much. The people further to the rightwing are always praising his work. Believe me. Here everything is politicized now.

the fuck is this thread

LeoCobb wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 10:54 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 4:45 pm
By Hollywood standards, yes... Especially after TDK, TDKR, Dunkirk and TENET (the controversy of non-postponement). Where I live most leftwing people don't like him very much. The people further to the rightwing are always praising his work. Believe me. Here everything is politicized now.
It’s funny because I feel TDK and TDKR are pretty apolitical films and if you can say TDKR is right wing for using the 99% rally as a way to construct your villains, you can do the same for movies like Spider Man: Homecoming or Black Panther

I’d say Dunkirk isn’t afraid to show that Churchill was completely okay with every soldier on that island dying because he needed to save their resources for the next battle. Nolan’s decision to never show any war leader or politician but to focus on the soldiers shows his empathy and interest for the little guy over the leaders.

I think Nolan tends to go for more of a nuanced read in his stories rather than preaching an agenda. And regardless, his movies often are about obsessive and overly ambitious men who go through great lengths with their missions at the cost of others around them which is hardly a right wing thought.

Pratham wrote:
August 11th, 2023, 1:40 am
the fuck is this thread
Nolan's MAGA crowd in full meltdown and denial that he's leftist.