Oppenheimer - Industry/Celebrity Response and Buzz

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Dragon_316ca wrote:
December 10th, 2023, 4:28 pm
Not a big surprise, whether you love or hate Snyder this movie appealing to him makes total sense.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 10th, 2023, 5:27 pm
Dragon_316ca wrote:
Not a big surprise, whether you love or hate Snyder this movie appealing to him makes total sense.
ive been very critical of Zack`s work, but after a while and after watching Patrick Willems video on him i have to say i have warmed to him, he seems like a very nice dude, and you cant deny he has a vision, and after that tragedy hit his family life i only wish him success, if anything its a part of his fanbase that tains the whole discourse around his films.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 10th, 2023, 5:47 pm
Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 10th, 2023, 5:27 pm
Dragon_316ca wrote:
ive been very critical of Zack`s work, but after a while and after watching Patrick Willems video on him i have to say i have warmed to him, he seems like a very nice dude, and you cant deny he has a vision, and after that tragedy hit his family life i only wish him success, if anything its a part of his fanbase that tains the whole discourse around his films.
I personally think his critics used to (and to some extent still) do that and engage in insane and poorly written hyperbole, but sadly his fanbase have matched them and arguably been worse. I still respect his movies and have enjoyed many of them, I came around to his DC movies a couple of years ago, but I kinda wish people could just talk about his movies normally rather than either with insane love or hate. Indeed I hope his original ventures bring him satisfaction and his fans/critics satisfaction too, though I wasn't crazy about AOTD so I don't know how I'll take his Netflix outings.

I do love the slight bromance between him and Nolan too, on different wavelengths that cross somewhat but with nothing but respect. I like that story about Nolan watching the terrible theatrical cut of JL and just going "He can't watch this"

I love that.

No shock here. I'd be surprised if he loved something more personal and intimate like Past Lives or The Holdovers. But this or Poor Things I could easily see him loving. I can also see him totally loving those films despite totally misunderstanding them at the same time.

LelekPL wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 3:39 pm
No shock here. I'd be surprised if he loved something more personal and intimate like Past Lives or The Holdovers. But this or Poor Things I could easily see him loving. I can also see him totally loving those films despite totally misunderstanding them at the same time.
i bet he liked the visual choices of poor things, hes a sucker for strong stylized visuals haha

Dragon_316ca wrote:
Good guy Zack.

Why am I not surprised.

Ace

Ace

Joe Dante (“Gremlins,” “Innerspace”)
“Poor Things”
Oppenheimer
“Barbie”
“El Conde”
“Last Voyage of the Demeter”
“Dream Scenario”
“Godzilla Minus One”
“M3gan”
“Sisu”
“Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1”
“Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny”
“Killers of the Flower Moon”
“The Holdovers”
Reinaldo Marcus Green (“King Richard,” “We Own This City”)
1. “Anatomy of a Fall” — Loved the moral ambiguity and complexities of this film. Very well executed. Amazing lead actress and overall performances.
2. “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” — Amazingly crafted, nuanced, and culturally specific film. Secretly hoping I get the call to direct the live-action version. I’m a half Puerto Rican, half Black Mets fan from NY. Feels right.
3. “Oppenheimer” — Best of Nolan. Meaningful story. Filmmaking prowess on full display.
4. “Past Lives” — Tender. Classic. Beautiful. Timelessness to it.
5. “Napoleon” — I’m a Ridley Scott fan. Epic battle scenes. Classic and powerful filmmaking. Always a top filmmaker for me.
6. “Air” — Anything with Ben and Matt is a must for me since “Good Will Hunting.” They had me at hello.
7. “Beckham” — Solid in every way. Something about DB that you just have to love. The edit to David as a kid kicking the corner shot was brilliant.
8. “A Thousand And One” — A.V. Rockwell is the truth.
9. “The Zone of Interest” — Powerful and poignant POV. Glazer is in top form.
10. “Killers of the Flower Moon” — Scorsese is one of the greatest to ever do it. Love De Niro and DiCaprio. I think anything he does is must-watch cinema.
Chad Hartigan (“Little Fish,” “Room 104”)
Movie of the Year: “Oppenheimer” — By any metric.

My Favorite Performances:
Elle Graham & Abby Ryder Fortson — “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret”
Matt Johnson — “Blackberry”
Scarlett Johansson — “Asteroid City”
Jennifer Lawrence — “No Hard Feelings”
Matt Damon — “Oppenheimer
Jimmy Tatro — “Theater Camp”
Ruby Cruz — “Bottoms”
Nicolas Cage — “Dream Scenario”

Directing that Most Inspired Me:
Daniel Goldhaber — “How to Blow Up a Pipeline”
Matt Johnson — “Blackberry”
Wes Anderson — “Asteroid City”
Greta Gerwig — “Barbie”
Christopher Nolan — “Oppenheimer”
Molly Gordon & Nick Leiberman — “Theater Camp”
Chloe Domont — “Fair Play”
Justine Triet — “Anatomy of a Fall”
Kristoffer Borgli — “Dream Scenario”
Bradley Cooper — “Maestro”
Special Crafts Mentions: Gavin Brivik’s score for “How to Blow Up a Pipeline,” Adam Stockhaussen’s production design for “Asteroid City,” Tracy Oliver and Dewayne Perkins’ screenplay for “The Blackening,” Wade Eastwood’s stunt coordinating for “Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part I,” Jacqueline Durran’s costume design for “Barbie,” Jennifer Lame’s editing for “Oppenheimer,” Kazu Hiro’s makeup for “Maestro,” and Robbie Ryan’s cinematography for “Poor Things.”
Don Hertzfeldt (“World of Tomorrow,” “It’s Such a Beautiful Day”)
Favorite first-time watches of 2023, in no particular order:

“The Zone of Interest”
“Anatomy of a Fall” — Sandra Hüller has joined a class of performers whose presence tells you you’re in for something special.
Oppenheimer
“No One Will Save You”
“May December”
“Hell’s Angels” (1930)
“It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) — Can you believe I’d never seen this before? It’s good!
Matt Johnson (“BlackBerry,” “BlackBerry: The Limited Series”)
1. “Dream Scenario” — The third act unfortunately deleted 90% of its goodwill, but what remained was still best of the year. Could have been a timeless classic. God damn.
2. “Poor Things” — An out-and-out masterpiece reduced to a cruel cruel joke on Jerrod Carmichael. Evil.
3. “The Iron Claw” — For Zef’s body alone. The Flair impression deflated Efron’s gains and no amount of gear could pump him back up. And the dream sequence… Durkin! Bring back Mond/Campos! “I just realized I’m not a brother anymore…”
4. “The Curse” — A brilliant rebuttal to those still claiming performances matter.
5. “The Holdovers” — Giamatti proves yet again why he is the king of Chekhov’s Liquor. Swish swish g’bye. Best handshake since Dutch and Dillon. 30 minutes too long.
6. “Oppenheimer” — After “Tenet” I journaled, “Nolan might understand sunscreen.” Now I know for sure.
7. “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” — I cried.
8. “The Sweet East” — This is a career IndieWire-list-mention.
9. “Hearthstone” 28.2 — These tavern spells are genius. Ben Brode? Who?
10. “Marvel Snap” 22.x — Jk, Ben Brode is a genius.
Raine Allen-Miller (“Rye Lane”)
I was utterly blown away by “Paradise Is Burning” by Mike Gustavsson. It’s such a beautiful and confident film. It was perfect. A big wow for me and I hope lots of people go see it because it deserves all the eyes! I was just totally taken aback by it and can’t stop telling people to watch.

I know it’s obvious “Oppenheimer” was obviously epic and normally war films bore me a bit.

“Scrapper” was fresh funny and gorgeous.

“The Holdovers” was charming and effortless.

“Earth Mama” was heartbreaking and classy.

“How to Blow Up a Pipeline” — more like how to blow my mind and make me cry at the same time! Ouch and wow and fuck yeah!

“Bottoms” was just brilliant and silly — anything Ayo Adebiri touches turns to gold.
James Ponsoldt (“Shrinking,” “Daisy Jones & The Six”)
I already made a totally different 2023 film list (for Talkhouse) and I didn’t want to repeat myself here. That was easy, though, because 2023 was such a wonderful year for films.
1) “Poor Things”
2) “Godzilla Minus One” — I saw this with my oldest son and by the end we were cheering with everyone in the theater. The emotional ride was as massive as the spectacle. I can’t wait to see it again on an even bigger screen.
3) “Passages”
4) “Anatomy of a Fall”
5) “The Plot Against Harry” — Yeah, this film was made in 1969, but its theatrical re-release this year was momentous. Michael Roemer was my professor in college, so I’m biased, but he’s one of my favorite directors and his films mean the world to me.
6) “Oppenheimer
7) “War Pony” — Riley Keough is a force of nature and can do pretty much anything.
8) “The Zone of Interest”
9) “Earth Mama”
10) “Asteroid City”
11) “Beau is Afraid”
12) “A Thousand and One”
13) “American Symphony”
14) “Skinamarink” — This film crawled into my skull almost a year ago and I don’t think it ever left.
Paul Schrader (“Master Gardener,” “First Reformed”)
“Master Gardener”
Oppenheimer
“Barbie”
“American Fiction”
“Maestro”
“Autumn Leaves”
“Leave the World Behind”
“Last Summer”
Adam Wingard (“Godzilla vs. Kong,” “Death Note”)
Oppenheimer
“Napoleon”
“Beau Is Afraid”
“The Zone Of Interest”
“The Killer”
“Godzilla Minus One”
“Thanksgiving”
“The Exorcist: Believer”
“Super Mario Bros”
James Cameron 4K releases for “Aliens,” “The Abyss,” “True Lies,” and “Titanic”

I’m told that I’ll probably love “Dream Scenario” but haven’t seen it yet.