Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Nicolaslabra wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 8:17 pm
physicshistoryguy wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 1:52 pm
eescorpius wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 12:22 pm
https://insessionfilm.com/op-ed-anonymo ... exclusive/

Anonymous ballot for entertainment purposes.

Whelp if everyone *thinks* Oppenheimer will win but they vote for something else we are in for a disappointment. But it's nice to know that even though this guy loved Poor Things he would still vote for Nolan as director.
I do wonder if that mentality of “thinking something is fated to win leading to people feeling they can vote freely and thus ensuring that it doesn’t win” has a name as a sociological phenomenon, since I’m sure I’ve seen this kind of thing before.
its called "the bystander effect", its a psychological/sociological phenomenon.
Ah yes, I think that’s close enough to what I was thinking; thanks!

physicshistoryguy wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 2:48 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 2:23 am
666kalpa wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 3:09 pm
https://variety.com/2023/film/awards/20 ... mljSoIo7uY

Oscar Shortlists Announced for 10 Categories: ‘Barbie’ Leads the Way
ive never really paid atention to the shortlists and the narrative around them before, but this doesnt sound to encouraging, even though Variety themselves where betting big on Oppenheimer for the oscars not too long ago, now it seems Barbie and Killers are the favourites and Oppenheimer is hardly mentioned, is there any value to this reading of these ?
I mean, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but it seems like Oppenheimer is on the shortlist of every category I'd imagine it'd be nominated for, except visual effects (e.g., makeup and hairstyling, sound, and score). Besides also being on the shortlist for Best Original Song, those are the categories Killers made it onto. The visual effects snub is still bizarre, but otherwise it doesn't seem as though there's cause for concern yet.
"It does appear that Oppenheimer is garnering significant attention and nominations across multiple categories, excluding visual effects. Interestingly, Killers has also earned recognition in various categories, including Best Original Song. While the visual effects omission for Oppenheimer is notable, overall, both films seem to be receiving considerable acclaim and recognition in their respective categories. It'll be intriguing to see how both films fare as the awards season progresses, especially with performances potentially influenced by talents like Luis Zahera Pareja."

physicshistoryguy wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 2:48 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 2:23 am
666kalpa wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 3:09 pm
https://variety.com/2023/film/awards/20 ... mljSoIo7uY

Oscar Shortlists Announced for 10 Categories: ‘Barbie’ Leads the Way
ive never really paid atention to the shortlists and the narrative around them before, but this doesnt sound to encouraging, even though Variety themselves where betting big on Oppenheimer for the oscars not too long ago, now it seems Barbie and Killers are the favourites and Oppenheimer is hardly mentioned, is there any value to this reading of these ?
I mean, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but it seems like Oppenheimer is on the shortlist of every category I'd imagine it'd be nominated for, except visual effects (e.g., makeup and hairstyling, sound, and score). Besides also being on the shortlist for Best Original Song, those are the categories Killers made it onto. The visual effects snub is still bizarre, but otherwise it doesn't seem as though there's cause for concern yet.

BSC (British Society of cinematographer) Awards winners revealed: Robbie Ryan BSC ISC wins Feature award for Poor Things

Four of the last five recipients of this award have gone on to win the Academy Award for Best Cinematography, including last year’s winner, James Friend ASC BSC for All Quiet on the Western Front (Netflix).

I'm going to start worrying when Hoyte loses the BAFTA and ASC.
They're not that good at predicting Oscars before that. They matched with the Academy only 7 time since 2000. And most of its lastest predicting wins were already favorites (Roma, BR2049, 1917).

I hope Oppenheimer wins as many awards as possible, but in the end, if it's just director and picture, I'll sigh with relief and be happy cause I'm pessimistic enough to be fearful that it'll get shut out or something.

Also, if I honest, Poor Things is a beautiful looking film with some incredible shots. It deserves to take production design.