Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
redfirebird2008 wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 8:25 pm
LelekPL wrote:
January 23rd, 2024, 4:41 pm

With no noms for Director or Lead Actress, it's clear Barbie is unfortunately out of the race for Best Picture, but Oppenheimer winning would harken back to better times of Titanic, Gladiator, Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, Silence of the Lambs, Forrest Gump when huge hits were awards worthy and moviegoers rushed to see them and were excited about cinema.

I'm not sure about that on Barbie. Hollywood Reporter has an article suggesting that the snubs on Barbie could lead to a backlash similar to Argo, where Affleck was snubbed from the Best Director nominations. Backlash on the Affleck snub helped Argo win Best Picture. Barbie has a lot of pretty vocal people in the industry backing it, including the likes of Meryl Streep. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I agree with everything you said about the Oscars going too far on the "small movie" train for Best Picture the last 10-20 years. They have often rewarded movies that 99% of the public will never see, which is problematic when you look at some of the other winners in history that were legitimately great movies with huge support in the general audience. Guess we will see if they are willing to abandon this "small movie" tendency and reward either Oppy or Barbie.
The backlash to Barbie’s perceived snubs is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I’ve witnessed in relation to the Oscar’s since maybe last years Oscar’s?

This is why in many ways I don’t take the Oscar’s very seriously. I want Nolan to get his due, but every year people focus more on who didn’t get nominated than who did. It’s every single year. Same song different lyrics.

How many tweets or articles saying “the academy missed the whole point of the movie” “they missed the plot”. I’ve seen about 10,000 tweets saying Margot and Greta not nominated but gosling was which is the whole point of the movie. Ignoring of course America Ferraras nomination, or you know it getting best picture? So to make whatever freak out point they’re making they completely undermine her nomination. It’s virtually nonexistent

I think it’s embarrassing to be quite honest

And it’s lucky to get the nominations it did. You don’t get a best director nomination because your movie makes a billion. Barbie is a fine movie. Even good in parts. Sometimes even great, but this is like black panther being nominated. It deserves recognition because it’s a movie that isn’t made very often, had a huge pop culture imprint and represented an underrepresented group but if there’s 10 films being nominated it’s 10th.

I’d personally say quality wise it’s 8th this year. Just because zone of interest wasn’t for me and I quite literally hated Maestro

But is it better than Oppenheimer? lol no
Is it better than American Fiction? You know a movie making fun of all these people that are tweeting out these freakouts? No
Is it better than KOTFM? A movie about a genuine atrocity in American history masterfully and empathetically directed? No

I could go on. But the truth is you kind of have to be better than the 5 nominees to get nominated. That’s how it works. Margot was fine. She was honestly the least interesting lead of anyone in contention, I mean her performance in comparison to Emma stones or lily gladstones is actually a different arena completely. And Greta? I love Greta gerwig. Lady bird was one of my favorite movies in 2017 by far, and little women was pretty incredible. Let’s talk about gerwig somehow getting 400 million box office for little women! That’s crazy

The academy mostly got the nominations right. Jonathan glazer whilst I didn’t like the movie did something pretty remarkable. He made me respect a film that genuinely didn’t peak my interest at all. The only snub for me personally was I would’ve nominated Celine song for Past Lives. Thought she deserved a director nomination. Also on a personal level I would’ve nominated the director of American Fiction but that one is more personal than an actual snub

I think the backlash will likely die down. Granted most people who’d freak out tweet don’t really see anatomy of a fall, or zone of interest. In fact a good amount of them probably only saw barbenheimer so to them of course Barbie and Oppenheimer should be tied for nominations

But this was a pretty stacked year for movies and I’ll say it. Flat out Yorgos directed a better Barbie movie than Greta gerwig and Poor Things IS a better Barbie movie than Barbie. I think Barbie is what happens when a bunch of people who don’t typically consume quality films consistently finally get excited and go see one and they just think it’s the most profound thing they’ve ever seen. And so they think no movies ever done something like this, this is new, this is groundbreaking. So they think it’s owed all the nominations, awards yada yada. It’s a good movie. It’s the BEST Barbie movie that could possibly be made because Greta Gerwig is quite frankly greater than the material. But it’s a good movie with some interesting commentary and that’s where is starts and end. It’s not a masterpiece lol. It’s not Greta’s magnum opus or something. That’s to come and THAT will be worthy of a nomination and possibly a win.

Should win 12 and break the record (Best Supporting Actress, no way any Oppy actress even deserves a nomination). Probably won't because of pity awards for the gabagool that is competition.

We are truly living the dark age of cinema where absolute garbage is competing for major awards.

KEM
Best score seems like an absolute lock, the other nominations are a joke compared to Ludwig’s score

No nomination for Hisaishi, again. That category is more a joke every year.

My new most hated take is people saying that it is against feminism to nominate Gosling and not Robbie, as if they were competing in the same category.
I'd have had Gerwig as a nominee everyday for Best Director for Little Women. But I very much enjoy the director nominees announced yesterday. Glazer and Triet are daring and interesting choices, the other three were locked.
No Di Caprio and Greta Lee also feels a bit off.

One thing Giamatti has going for him is that he's actively campaigning. Cillian's campaigning too but he's not outgoing like Giamatti. So it really depends on which type of personality the academy favours this year.

eescorpius wrote:
January 24th, 2024, 7:16 am
One thing Giamatti has going for him is that he's actively campaigning. Cillian's campaigning too but he's not outgoing like Giamatti. So it really depends on which type of personality the academy favours this year.
On the one hand Murphy, doing tons of interview, going to lots of showing of the films.
On the other hand, Giamatti who went to a fast food at the Globes.
Murphy doesn't like Hollywood's style of life but he's fully playing the game, as requested by Universal marketing team.

https://insessionfilm.com/op-ed-anonymo ... exclusive/

Anonymous ballot for entertainment purposes.

Whelp if everyone *thinks* Oppenheimer will win but they vote for something else we are in for a disappointment. But it's nice to know that even though this guy loved Poor Things he would still vote for Nolan as director.

eescorpius wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 12:22 pm

Whelp if everyone *thinks* Oppenheimer will win but they vote for something else we are in for a disappointment. But it's nice to know that even though this guy loved Poor Things he would still vote for Nolan as director.
I do wonder if that mentality of “thinking something is fated to win leading to people feeling they can vote freely and thus ensuring that it doesn’t win” has a name as a sociological phenomenon, since I’m sure I’ve seen this kind of thing before.

eescorpius wrote:

send this voter to some theme park ..

Poor things >> Oppenheimer
because Poor Things is 'fun'

liked its costume because its fun
liked its prod design because its fun
liked its score because its fun

havent seen the movie yet but thematically
is Poor Things
this years Shape of Water... ?

physicshistoryguy wrote:
January 25th, 2024, 1:52 pm
eescorpius wrote:

I do wonder if that mentality of “thinking something is fated to win leading to people feeling they can vote freely and thus ensuring that it doesn’t win” has a name as a sociological phenomenon, since I’m sure I’ve seen this kind of thing before.
its called "the bystander effect", its a psychological/sociological phenomenon.