Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
natalie wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 11:22 pm
MMatt wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 11:19 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 11:08 pm
Emma’s speech for Best Picture was pretty rough. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt the movie’s chances for other awards.
I was thinking the same thing :? They have to let Nolan do the film speeches from here out, or just do them together side by side.
What are you talking about? She Is amazing and deserve her moment too. I love ger speeches.
Speech tonight was pretty bad. I hope it does not piss off the voters in future awards, especially the Oscar voters.

Watching football, but good to check in and see Oppenheimer doing well again. Always figured that Giamatti is going to be a problem for Murphy, thought. Paul may have the edge on Cillian with the overdue narrative for his entire body of work.

Was Emma talking about the critics or the guy she shouted out to (I forgot his name)?

radewart wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 11:42 pm
Watching football, but good to check in and see Oppenheimer doing well again. Always figured that Giamatti is going to be a problem for Murphy, thought. Paul may have the edge on Cillian with the overdue narrative for his entire body of work.
They’re both overdue. But Giamatti is 9 years older and his role was flashier. Hard to beat those factors.

I honestly thought Cillian had a stronger chance of winning than RDJ. Maybe because I thought Ryan Gosling was going to win something. Oh well. SAG and BAFTA next.

Sincerely doubt voters are gonna hold a bad speech against the movie, least of all one at one of the lesser seen televised awards.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 11:55 pm
radewart wrote:
They’re both overdue. But Giamatti is 9 years older and his role was flashier. Hard to beat those factors.
idk if I agree with his role being flashier. Cillian got to play this super larger than life character who is on screen for nearly every frame of a 3 hour film. Giamatti played a pretty relatable every day kind of guy. I think both performances are brilliant but I'd be happier to see Giamatti win because he is seriously one of the most underrated actors of the last 30 years in my opinion. Cillian atleast has a serious fandom
Last edited by MaxContract on January 15th, 2024, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

SAGs will determine who truly wins Best Actor though

MaxContract wrote:
January 15th, 2024, 12:37 am
redfirebird2008 wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 11:55 pm
radewart wrote:
idk if I agree with his role being flashier. Cillian got to play this super larger than life character who is on screen for nearly every frame of a 3 hour film. Giamatti played a pretty relatable every day kind of guy. I think both performances are brilliant but I'd be happier to see Giamatti win because he is seriously one of the most underrated actors of the last 30 years in my opinion. Cillian atleast has a serious fandom
The dialogue in Holdovers is way flashier. Giamatti has always been a pretty expressive actor. Murphy is more understated in his line delivery, but the lines are also less flashy for his character.

Was Emma's speech really that bad? I haven't found a video of it yet but I don't really see anyone talking about her speech at all?