Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Congratulations to everyone.Really happy day for me.
also F*ck haters.

Very special to see Nolan finally getting a major award. As Emma put it, it's good to see that he's getting recognition because he's doing something really special. Oppy is coming for the Oscars!

There is, literally, no competition. If it doesn't sweep its because of reasons. Its a lightning in a bolt situation, not only it is good, other films are absurdly weak. Artistically, its the film of the year. Probably the only thing we will remember in the next 30 years of the last 5-10 years of motion pictures.

It's finally Nolan's year.

Given how often the Golden Globes award picks DONT follow the trajectory of the industry picks, I’m concerned

Just chiming in to say I knew Chris could do it, and I always believed in him, even when I didn't.

Proud of that motherfucker.

Feels damn great to see Nolan and Emma be recognized like this. :gonf:

MaxContract wrote:
January 8th, 2024, 10:34 am
Given how often the Golden Globes award picks DONT follow the trajectory of the industry picks, I’m concerned
Yep. Social Network and La La Land are good examples of it. Given Nolan’s history with the Oscars, I will expect more snubs for him in major categories until the trend is broken.

Good to temper expectations just in case, though I do think he's gonna get Best Director. BP is a crapshoot and I could accept a loss, especially if it would save us some annoying discourse about how Flower Moon is more "important" or how a film like Barbie/Poor Things would be more "unique" as a win, but it would still be really great for it to take the prize. I mean Nomadland and Coda were low key dramas, EEAAO was a huge heartfelt extravaganza, let a political drama period piece take the top prize for the first time in the 2020s especially if it's one as good as this.