Oppenheimer - Awards Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
radewart wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 9:51 am
Nominated for everything it possible could be. Nice that Blunt got in, but it helps that the categories is six nominees. It's got a good shot for drama, but I'd give Killers the edge right now, also don't sleep on The Zone of Interest. Comedy is really strong too, with Barbie, Poor Things, and The Holdovers.
It has really been a strong year for movies...too bad Oppenheimer didn't come out the last couple of previous years, it would have dominated.
same thoughts after every Nolan movie earns unprecedented acclaim when its debut in theatres and then cools down come December.. (except Tenet) lol

eescorpius wrote:
December 10th, 2023, 10:12 pm
poplar wrote:
December 10th, 2023, 7:32 pm
Well, I have a feeling it will be completely snubbed at Oscar night.
I am quite worried too lol KOTFM seems to be doing a little better with the critics.
My friend, where have you been? Have you not noticed what the world has been going through?
Oppenheimer, the film, is white. Too white. Its about a bunch of white people talking. Mccarthyism is in the center of the narrative, Nolan very much condemns the actions that lead to the bombing but its still a story about our western culture, and our accomplishments, which today are vilified by these loonies.
Of course propagandists will hate it and snub it, especially if they can push the latest flavor of the month minority/diverse picture.
It's still miles ahead the film of the year.

We really need to brace ourselves for a Nolan Best Director snub at the Oscars.

Everyone is predicting he’s going to win. He might not.

Although, I think he’s got adapted screenplay in the bag.

As far as I'm concerned, minority and diverse pictures are 100% welcome and well deserved of being recognized. We don't need to bash other people's work to make our favorites look better.

--

Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer

“Working with the great ensemble cast of Oppenheimer has been one of the highlights of my career, so I am thrilled the Golden Globes have recognized Emily Blunt, Robert Downey Jr. and Cillian Murphy’s incredible work in this film. I’m delighted with all of the nominations, including Ludwig’s magnificent score.”
https://www.eonline.com/news/1391140/je ... ominations

God I so tired of people saying if Oppenheimer doesn’t win next picture it is because it wasn’t diverse. It doesn’t win it has nothing to do with diversity.

BobCobb wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 1:49 pm

As long whoever does win deserves it, I can take a snub. Us fans have taken the snubs for a long time. But if he won it for this movie, it would be deserved for sure.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 7:54 pm
BobCobb wrote:

As long whoever does win deserves it, I can take a snub. Us fans have taken the snubs for a long time. But if he won it for this movie, it would be deserved for sure.
is guess the painful thing is that, if he doesnt win with this one, i think he never will win one, not in a way thats satisfying anyway, i dont want Chris to win like Leo did, with a lesser performance and because hollywood felt like it HAD to give it to him finally, he should have won before that.

BobCobb wrote:

For me it seems like it might be turning out the other way around; win Director but lose Screenplay and Picture. Of course these awards are so damn unpredictable sometimes, I'm still salty that he wasn't nominated for Inception back in 2010 (despite being nominated for the DGA, Globes and BAFTA like wtf happened?) but I was leggit shocked Fincher lost to Hopper at the Oscar despite winning the Globes and BAFTA. Is the kinda rug pull stunts I could totally see happening again.

It will be healthier for me to just go with the flow and keep expectations in the floor.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 12th, 2023, 1:00 am
Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 7:54 pm
BobCobb wrote:

is guess the painful thing is that, if he doesnt win with this one, i think he never will win one, not in a way thats satisfying anyway, i dont want Chris to win like Leo did, with a lesser performance and because hollywood felt like it HAD to give it to him finally, he should have won before that.
It's all subjective, but I understand the notion of the "Consolidation Award". It's a great debate for example if Marty's direction of The Departed really was worthy of a high award, or if it was more important to give him said award regardless of the movie.

Still though, whilst I wouldn't want to act like with this film, his best work as a director is behind him, this feels like the perfect film to award him for.

brickarts295 wrote:
December 12th, 2023, 2:42 am
BobCobb wrote:

For me it seems like it might be turning out the other way around; win Director but lose Screenplay and Picture. Of course these awards are so damn unpredictable sometimes, I'm still salty that he wasn't nominated for Inception back in 2010 (despite being nominated for the DGA, Globes and BAFTA like wtf happened?) but I was leggit shocked Fincher lost to Hopper at the Oscar despite winning the Globes and BAFTA. Is the kinda rug pull stunts I could totally see happening again.

It will be healthier for me to just go with the flow and keep expectations in the floor.
I have learned to keep my expectations low since the last few movies, but the momentum is so high this year it's hard to not get my hopes up lol