'Oppenheimer' Nolanfans User Reviews

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
A Borges man wrote:
August 8th, 2023, 3:34 am
My Thoughts:

10/10

Murphy's performance is perfection. This is the best acted film in Nolan's oeuvre.
Actor rankings: 1. Murphy
2. Krumholtz
3. Damon (we take him granted, he is a great actor)
4. Downey
5. Affleck (fuckin' devil himself....holy shit)
Liked everyone, Safdie's accented was fucked, his Hungarian accent was dire, but he got Teller's vibe down, sweaty wierd-o with a hydrogen fetish.

I love how much of the movie is based around inference and implication: The Pash scene being the perfect example.
Ludwig score is amazing! Monumental...I hope him and Nolan work together for a long time...Zimmer who?
The sound design was extraordinary, and I heard every word of dialogue crystal clear.

Lame's edited is insane. Hoyte got such beautiful close-ups, film portraiture. Loved the quantum stuff. The ending fucked me up for 2 weeks.

Can't get over Nolan pulling this off, an adult movie, that is dense and singular, as a blockbuster. I can't wait for what's next, I have absolutely no idea where he goes next, this felt like such a culmination.

It's impossible for me to rank his movies, but this is in the top tier. Masterpiece, can't wait to watch it over and over again.
Yeah Affleck's presence was damn.......... surprising !!!

666kalpa wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 1:36 pm
dissonance wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 1:30 pm
666kalpa wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 8:15 am
cant have enough of this movie...
watched it 5 times already...
all in standard screens ...
no IMAX here.. the nearest liemax is about 650miles away
wow, where do you live?
at a quite remote Northeastern corner of India.

wow awesome. I want to visit india someday. I heard India/Bollywood absolutely reveres Nolan is that true?

dissonance wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 1:58 pm
wow awesome. I want to visit india someday. I heard India/Bollywood absolutely reveres Nolan is that true?
absolutely... lot of goodwill ..
Oppenheimer emerges #1 Hollywood Film of the year in India by surpassing Mission Impossible 7 and Fast X
Besides Nolan often visits India, shot parts of Dark Knight Rises and Tenet here

666kalpa wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 3:44 pm
dissonance wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 1:58 pm
absolutely... lot of goodwill ..
Oppenheimer emerges #1 Hollywood Film of the year in India by surpassing Mission Impossible 7 and Fast X
Besides Nolan often visits India, shot parts of Dark Knight Rises and Tenet here
Awesome. Glad it is appropriately loved and is recognized to be a work of true timelessness and history in the making.

Something I didn't notice until my fourth viewing was
just how little Bohr is in the film. For someone who's so crucial to understanding Oppenheimer's wartime justifications for using the bomb and his postwar advocacy of international control and candor, Bohr's single scene at Los Alamos feels pretty short and almost inconsequential. Maybe that's just me though.

To be honest, sadly for me, the last scene didn't hit me at all. To paraphrase: "in a way we did destroy the world, you need to bear it somehow, etc."
No new information whatsoever. No revelation.
And it's not that such thoughts/interpretations popped to my mind during watching and I just "guessed" what is it about -- we hear such stuff almost verbatim throughout the movie.

(Watched it two times.)

CASE wrote:
August 11th, 2023, 9:20 am
To be honest, sadly for me, the last scene didn't hit me at all. To paraphrase: "in a way we did destroy the world, you need to bear it somehow, etc."
And it's not that such thoughts/interpretations popped to my mind during watching and I just "guessed" what is it about -- we hear such stuff almost verbatim throughout the movie.

(Watched it two times.)
I agree though I still think it’s a good ending but definitely don’t get why people felt so horrified by it when the entire movie up to then had sequences that conveyed a similar fear and some of which were even more impactful (such as the conversation with Truman or even the scene with Teller as they watch their bomb being taken away)

CASE wrote:

(Watched it two times.)
for me its all about the film stating that all the scientists where so worried about wether or not the bomb was going to trigger an atmosphere igniting chain reaction, that they forgot about the other chain reaction, the one that putting this weapon in the hands of the goberments would trigger, one that you cant calculate with physics, and one that might already have started with no going back, and to this day we still cant be sure if it did or not

Finally watched it. One of my favourite Nolan films. The ending in particular is haunting because it recontextualises EVERYTHING else and why everything was happening, whilst ending on a level of melancholic dread that I'm not sure I've seen from any other of Nolan's films so far.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
August 12th, 2023, 11:03 pm
CASE wrote:

(Watched it two times.)
for me its all about the film stating that all the scientists where so worried about wether or not the bomb was going to trigger an atmosphere igniting chain reaction, that they forgot about the other chain reaction, the one that putting this weapon in the hands of the goberments would trigger, one that you cant calculate with physics, and one that might already have started with no going back, and to this day we still cant be sure if it did or not
Sure -- "In a way they destroyed the world" to quote somebody... :)
But again, nothing new to chew for your brain -- what you have specified, of letting this invention to the hands of others, is in the hotel lobby scene when Oppie is on his way to Truman. No revelation.

I know that chronologically speaking (in "real" time of the movie) Einstein and Oppie don't repeat themselves so to speak but to us (or only me) as viewers by putting this scene as such it does feel like repeating. EMOTIONALLY this scene doesn't work for me.

Or to put it even simpler:
The moral of the story is well known way before we literally hear this moral.
And the fact that we are so eager to find out what the hell they were talking about rise expectations so high that maybe this is why it didn't hit me.