'Oppenheimer' Nolanfans User Reviews

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
jidu wrote:
July 27th, 2023, 8:02 am
The movie "Oppenheimer" is really fantastic; I've already watched it twice in the cinema.
Woah, definitely going to have to seek this one out then…

Second viewing was pretty magical. Many of the perceived flaws seemed to disappear and I felt even more engaged this time around.

Murphy and RDJ felt even more prominent somehow. Both deserve accolades.

Safdie's performance seemed to stand out too. Nolan always manages to get these unexpectedly good performances from "minor roles" in his films. David Gyasi in Interstellar is a good example.

This time also clarified the need for the hearing/trial sequences. It is effectively the "fallout" of the Trinity Test. You really can't skip any of it, and it's in complete service to the title character.

Nolan gave us a supremely complex portrait of a man who seems to be perptually caught between two worlds; US and Europe, his wife and his lover, science and politics, democracy and communism, truth and fallacy. We see a man who is always trying to follow his passions but also do the right thing. That battle is central to the film and it's one of Nolan's greatest achievements in his career. I can definitely see why this is being considered his best effort yet.

My experience with Oppenheimer has been similar to Interstellar - the first viewing was so overwhelming that I had to see it a second time to fully unpack it. Basically all of the issues I had the first time went away and I was able to just let it wash over me.

I'm still not sure if I think it's his ultimate masterpiece, but I rank it number two on my personal Nolan list. I think it's just incredible for so many reasons (you can listen to me gush and ramble about it here if you truly have nothing better to do).

My second viewing was on 35mm at this really badass arthouse theater in Tulsa, OK, called Circle Cinema with a nearly packed crowd. And it was preceded by two 35mm trailers - Alexander Payne's The Holdovers, which looks great, and the digitally shot The Exorcist: Believer, which looks like dogshit but it was still cool to see Ellen Burstyn with "Tubular Bells" playing underneath through that beautiful projector flicker.

Overall, it just felt like we were back in the 70s or something watching a second-run art film (I especially loved that early black and white Princeton sequence in this format).

I just feel really lucky to live through a time where great work can still be found in mainstream theaters worldwide, and that people are having such a strong reaction to it. I'm just glad movies are making me feel giddy again for the first time in years.

Shame Hollywood's about to completely squander it all. But for now, it's great.

So we ain’t gonna talk about
James Remar’s cameo?? That scene was fuckin great and darkly funny. “We have 11 locations, sorry- 10 locations. Kyoto has been removed due to its cultural importance to the Japanese people. And, my wife and I like to honeymoon there 😀

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 27th, 2023, 1:20 pm
James Remar’s cameo?? That scene was fuckin great and darkly funny. “We have 11 locations, sorry- 10 locations. Kyoto has been removed due to its cultural importance to the Japanese people. And, my wife and I like to honeymoon there 😀
Someone did talk about it! :P

Watched it last night for the first time..wow that was quite the movie. Not my favorite Nolan film, but I'd rank it up in my top 5, going for a 2nd viewing this weekend hopefully. I'll give it 8/10

Loved it, in awe at Cillian's transformative performance, just incredible. Everyone is at the top of their game here. The breakneck pacing makes it fly by, in the best way.

I saw it in IMAX digital, 1.43, but the picture was sadly dull and lacking contrast, like it was at less than 100% opacity. Watching the 4K Blu will be the definite viewing experience for me.

Nolan's insistence on getting everything in camera hurt a couple scenes for me, much like Dunkirk with the empty looking beach and handful of boats...
The Trinity test could've been enhanced with more earth being kicked up around it to give it that huge feeling, rather than just a fireball.

The gym speech scene was incredible, but could've benefited from seeing the crowd get turned to ash that violently gets swirled around that small space. The hard cut to everyone being gone and ash falling like snow was a bit too old-school filmmaking technique, right down to the framing not perfectly matching from shot to shot.

The transition of Oppy sitting at the table clothed to nude should've been a seamless composite. The movement of the camera sets us up for it perfectly, like the switch from Tom Berenger to Tom Hardy at the end of Inception. Instead they insert a cut away, then go back to the same view. I don't get it. Is this purely just so he can boast that it's all in camera with no digital intermediate? Not worth it.
It was kind of annoying to see the trailers for Dune 2 and The Creator back-to-back before this, since they both feature huge/nuclear explosions prominently. ha.

physicshistoryguy wrote:
July 27th, 2023, 2:19 pm
AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 27th, 2023, 1:20 pm
Someone did talk about it! :P
Whoa! I’m gonna need to check that out :thumbup:

Nolan need to make a special universal logo. Do a throw back to the 1950s logo or at least make it black and white.

I wish he stylized the Universal logo like he used to do with WB.
Maybe set the planet on fire or something. Or a giant mushroom cloud over New Mexico.