'Oppenheimer' Nolanfans User Reviews

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
jetsdude wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 9:07 am
8/10

pros: visuals, audio, he finally figured out his dialogue volume issues, the score, literally every actor is fabulous especially cillian, damon, rdj, hartnet, bernard from santa clause, the direction is truly masterful(he should win an oscar imop). i liked the horror elements actually and could have used a few more.

could have been better: low rewatchability (i get it, it's a biopic), the torturous hearing interrogation scenes (i get this was done on purpose but there still could have been fewer of them), while i found the
black and white flash forwards
were effective, i did grow tired of them half way through. i know others disagree but everyone in our party would have
liked to have a couple minutes boots on the ground nagasaki and hiroshima

overall, a fabulous biopic that i will likely only watch 1 or 2 more times. Selfishly i do hope he gets back to an action movie with fewer flashbacks/flashforwards once he gets the oscar under his belt for this.
Nolan Bond film is written in the stars trust me. It is literally DESTINED. I know this.

Tarssauce wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 8:34 pm
Guess who just walked out of seeing it in Dolby Cinema then walked right back for an encore. I’m seated for a 3:30am screening when I should be driving home right now.

Maybe after this I can write a proper review.
3:30am screening? What part of the world are you in?

No spoilers:

First viewing.
Liked it very much. Spontaneous rating 8/10, maybe more. It will haunt me for a while amd want to see it a second time.
But my rating for the ending and for the overall message in the light of todays global problems is nothing less than 10/10!

Pros:
Last hour was the strongest for me. And as mentioned above: Wow, this ending gave me shivers. This last sentence wrapped up the whole film somehow. What a payoff.
Acting superb from everyone!
These themes (morality, politics, science, war crimes, responsibility, guilt, loyalty) are very delicate and could have easily gone "wrong". I didn't expect anything else from Nolan but to handle it sensitively. But I am still glad he managed to seemingly with ease.
No acustic problems with the dialogue, only thanks to the dubbing I suppose (German dubbing was superb btw. Only awkward thing is that they had to translate the famous sentence: Now, I become death... ).

What I didn't like:
The dialogue scenes in the first two hours could have been shortened. Or lowering the pace. It was insanely fast throughout the 3 hours. You need to concentrate very much to follow the dialogue.

I can understand that this movie isn't for everyone. It is definitely not for people who don't want to use their brain. :P Having previous knowledge certainly helps. I had only basic knowledge but it worked well enough for me.

Very bold movie, themewise and stylewise, altogether!
Politicians around the world should be forced inside a cinema and watch it together. :P
Also food for thought for all those scientists out there.

jm9843 wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 4:07 pm
AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 2:33 pm
Now I want a rewatch at the Airbus IMAX in VA, dual 4K in 1.43 aspect…but their website is shit and saying that all showings are sold out…forever lol. Might need to give ‘em a call.
If you do manage to see it here I recommend arriving early enough to see the Enola Gay. It's surreal to see in person and, for me, was a psychological primer for the film.
Good to know!!! How did the picture quality look? And how was the sound?

dissonance wrote:
July 25th, 2023, 2:47 am
3:30am screening? What part of the world are you in?
The Middle East!

Just watched it for the 2nd time, i couldn't really grasp my feelings on the first.

It's a hell of a film, my only real criticism is the first 30 minutes to an hour felt very 'montage-y' it's one of Nolan's worst habits, and so much understanding of the emotional beats that are present throughout the last act are dependant on small miss-able bits of dialog or details. I'll admit I'm not nearly as attentive and quick thinking as I used to be when I was younger and I was struggling to keep on top of everything when scenes are going at breakneck pace and dialog is just breezed through and not allowed to breathe.

2nd viewing I got a much better grasp of the structure and little important details, so the 3rd act really hit hard for me this time around, I appreciated it a lot more.

Those who watched it early and likened it to Memento, Prestige and Dunkirk were right on the money. You can pretty much make a diagram of the two main perspectives and how they interweave to tell a coherent narrative, however I think appreciate that Nolan doesn't rely on it and you can still enjoy the film without being conscious of it, but it certainly improves your appreciation of the film once you have a grasp of how its structured.

It's too early to say it's my favourite Chris Nolan joint, but it's definitely in my opinion the best made one. Hands down. Bravo

Bacon wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 1:30 pm
So fucking good.

9/10 probably. Going again this week and curious how it'll play on a rewatch.
It played even better.

Give Jen Lame the Oscar.

After second viewing i’m pretty comfortable calling this a masterpiece…blown away by it.

Bacon wrote:
July 26th, 2023, 2:23 pm
Bacon wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 1:30 pm
So fucking good.

9/10 probably. Going again this week and curious how it'll play on a rewatch.
It played even better.

Give Jen Lame the Oscar.
I saw you upgraded from 4.5 to 5 on Letterboxd. That's something right there.

The movie "Oppenheimer" is really fantastic; I've already watched it twice in the cinema.