'Oppenheimer' Nolanfans User Reviews

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
ThePhantomTerror wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 4:04 pm
Saw it the second time, in 15/70. It’s more emotionally resonant this time, and the structure makes more sense now.
Even though I've read the book, when I went for a second viewing...you realise it flows beautifully...and makes total sense. First time felt a little difficult to follow, second time I relaxed more.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 2:33 pm
Now I want a rewatch at the Airbus IMAX in VA, dual 4K in 1.43 aspect…but their website is shit and saying that all showings are sold out…forever lol. Might need to give ‘em a call.
If you do manage to see it here I recommend arriving early enough to see the Enola Gay. It's surreal to see in person and, for me, was a psychological primer for the film.

At first (after 15/70 midnight screening) I wasn't sure where to rank it Vs Nolan's others but it's certainly his most *mature* film, both in terms of the story but also filmmaking craft, he's really at the height of his powers here. But I wasn't sure if this was really Nolan's masterpiece, particularly when it got to the middle Los Alamos stretch it initially felt like it got into a more "regular biopic but with the Nolan touch' mode.

But watching it a second time in fixed 2.20 in (yes, lord forgive me lol) Dolby - actually putting the IMAX aside - played so much better to me and ultimately cemented, this is top tier stuff. Ultimately likes of Insterstellar and Inception will be the absolute top because I at least cannot divorce the sci-fi from his work, but just the assuredness, the confidence, the boldness of the storytelling - it's stunning, haunting cinema, and throughout it doesn't lose anything of what we know and love about Nolan's work. It's timely in more ways than one (beyond just the immediate threat thanks to Putin)...

The only weak spots, I'm still torn on Pugh here (though appreciate the intent and historical aspect), and I think crucially the IMAX I'm afraid to say, as gorgeous as it all looked in 1.43 when it opened up, is actually an issue? This is the first film where Nolan's "try shoot as much as he can" approach is actually working against him because of what film this is, and how talky and dense it is. So what does open up is a bit more uneven through the film, particularly in the middle which is why I felt on that initial viewing that section was something more "regular". I'm curious as well to see how the 5perf 70mm print looks because how the B&W 5-perf footage came off in 15/70 when intercut with IMAX in same scene, it looked rough. The Dolby presentation and grade looked really gorgeous and far more evened out.

Still in spite of the above quibbles, bravo. Think this is really gonna stand the test of time for Nolan and fully get why everyone's raving it as his best film/everything his career has led towards.

Guess who just walked out of seeing it in Dolby Cinema then walked right back for an encore. I’m seated for a 3:30am screening when I should be driving home right now.

Maybe after this I can write a proper review.

Just came back from seeing it a second time. I previously dubbed it a nearly perfect film after my first viewing, but somehow it became even more perfect this time 'round. It remains my favorite film, but more so after being able to understand some of the dialogue that I couldn't hear the first time, and after it really sank in just how tight the screenplay is. And the audience was much more engaged this time: a few people laughed, a few people cried, (a few people left...), most people were silent... and when the credits rolled there was some applause (although being the only one clapping in my row made me feel a bit self-conscious :lol:). Interestingly enough, all the issues and nitpicks I had after the first viewing were either mitigated or eliminated completely; in their place, however, there is a new issue, although I can't decide if it's truly a problem I have with the film or just something noteworthy about it. Details about said issues and nitpicks below:
The two sex scenes were still weird, don't get me wrong, but the fact that I knew they were there made them considerably less so, and they didn't feel wholly out of place (I'm referring mainly to the hearing scene here) like they did the first time. It's also noteworthy that the audience didn't mildly chuckle during those scenes as they did during my first viewing, so that probably helped in part.

The first third of the film felt very fast-paced during my first viewing, like every line of dialogue was loaded with information. I think that was more because every line of dialogue was, to put it vividly, triggering a citation bubble from American Prometheus in my mind, and I speculated that it therefore may have felt more stuffed than it actually was. I think my second viewing confirmed that speculation; just watching it as a standard character study, the pacing was much more palatable (although maybe that was in part because I now was prepared for how much Nolan includes). Bottom line: no complaints in that department now.

The Trinity scene was better this time. My initial complaint was that it was too obvious that it was a chemical explosion, but I now realize that that "obviousness" was due to a single shot. There's one shot where you see a pillar of flame rising into the sky with no mushroom cloud, and that soured my impression of the explosion for the rest of the scene. But this time, I ignored that one shot and paid closer attention to all the others, and all the others are fantastic (there's one especially of the bright fireball on the horizon from behind Lawrence's head that was incredibly beautiful). It doesn't look like the Trinity test footage - which is what I subconsciously was expecting during my first viewing - but it nevertheless works, and works really well.

The first time, I thought that the third act felt a bit jumbled, but this time it felt considerably less so. I don't really have much to say here, since I can't explain why it felt so jumbled the first time, except that it didn't this time. Everything seemed to have more narrative purpose.

The "new issue" I alluded to above, which I'm debating whether it's a real issue or just something interesting Nolan does, is the fact that almost the entirety of the years between 1946 and 1953 are cut out. There's the introduction to the Institute at Princeton (and the conversation with Einstein by the lake), the radioisotopes humiliation, the GAC meeting after the Soviet test, Strauss' birthday party and the Fuchs revelation, the "scorpions in a bottle" speech, and then suddenly we're off to Borden's letter and the drafting of the charges against Oppenheimer. Unless I'm forgetting something, that's it: no May-Johnson Bill, no Acheson-Lilienthal or Baruch Plan (the former is kind of referenced in the mention by Strauss of "world government" as Oppie's response to the Soviet test, but it's very out of place), no Project Vista and the debate over strategic versus tactical nuclear weapons between the Air Force and the Army, nothing of the H-bomb debate and H-bomb development beyond the GAC scene (although the film does a very good job pointing out that Oppenheimer's opposition to the H-bomb wasn't just due to moral issues but technical and political ones too, and the scene where Robb exposes Oppenheimer's "hypocrisy" in opposing the hydrogen bomb but not the atomic bomb is an expertly crafted scene, and taken directly from the hearing transcripts), none of Teller's behavior after 1945 (except for testifying at the hearings and showing up to get sternly looked at by Kitty in 1963), no opposition to Ivy Mike... and that's just what I consider to be relevant or important. Now, yes, including any of this, let alone all of it, would have ballooned the runtime so much that only die-hard Nolan fans and history buffs would have watched it, and you wouldn't get the staggering box office success that this film is turning out to be. But because these events are excluded, the film doesn't really give an idea of how controversial Oppenheimer was or that he made enemies at all besides Strauss and Nichols (Borden is arguably presented as merely their pawn rather than an active antagonist in his own right). So although the film's focus on Strauss as the instigator of Oppenheimer's downfall is accurate and important, it's also important to show, I think, all the extra context surrounding it. But the fact that it would have made the film inconceivably lengthy means I'm currently leaning on the side of "this is an interesting way for Nolan to adapt the history" rather than "this is a fundamental problem with how the film is adapting that history." Apologies if that was long and rambling!

Just seen this in Imax laser. I am very mixed on the movie. The last act didn't connect with me because I don't know much about he hearings and it felt like the movie skipped too quick. The acting was superb 👏. I feel like Cillian isn't getting enough praise compared to RDJ. I thought he was the best part of the movie. Bennie Safdie was outstanding and Nolan direction was flawless. I just had issues with the script jumping back and forth . I wanted more of the science stuff at Los Alemos than the politics .
Overall 7/10. I will rewatch it this weekend.

Watched it two times in LieMax, very big screen. The ending absolutely wrecked me - incredibly powerful stuff. I'd say it is a masterpiece, ranking it just above or tied with Interstellar. It certainly is an important movie. That ending will haunt me for a long time.

Saw it Friday night. Biggest takeaway was I appreciated Nolan's boldness and going to places he hasn't before.

Best moments for me were:

The big group scene where
Oppie gives his speech after the bombs go off in Japan. Such a great use of "visions" by Nolan, and that one scene, more than any, showcased how Oppie must have felt. You could literally show just that one scene to sum up the torture Oppie must have gone through. That was so visceral and emotional, took my breath away.
Gary Oldman's scene. Did a great job with such a short part, and that whole scene worked great in what it reavealed.

Where Oppie tells Kitty
about Jean dying, and Kitty essentially calls him a bitch. Both actors nailed it there. I can understand why Oppie felt the way he did, and I also totally understand Kitty's reaction because this was an affair.
Of course I loved the ending too, and despite my wiki-level knowledge of Oppie and the other characters, never had read THAT. So it was a great twist for me.

For the bad, I did have trouble hearing some of the dialogue. I know some people claim the problem was fixed now, and it's not like Tenet. But some still had issues, myself included. So hopefully this is more of a theater-specific problem than anything else.
Also, there did seem to be some parts of the hearings or interviews that took up too much time. Luckily it was fast-paced, but it seemed like some still could have maybe been trimmed.

4.25/5

I certainly will see this again in theaters, and I'm glad people's reactions to further viewings are usually even more positive. I'm sure my opinion will change.

Just saw it and loved it. I need to see it again because it was so dense.
Did I read this scene right?

Per Nolan, the color scenes are subjective from Oppy’s POV and the black and white scenes are supposed to be objective.

In the scene where they’re at the dinner table having a last minute committee meeting, it’s in black and white and it shows Strauss and Oppy being combative with each other. Strauss moves the flowers on the table to the side to talk to Dane DeHaan’s character (Nichols) but still blocks other people at the table.

Later they show this same scene in color. This time the flowers are moved off the table and Strauss is much nicer to Oppy. The movie later shows Oppy’s naïveté and since this is his POV he doesn’t suspect Strauss holds a grudge against him and sees Strauss in more sympathetic light. Oppy is nicer too here since he probably sees himself how we all see ourselves in a brighter way when he’s supposed to be arrogant objectively.

Mr. Alley wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 5:59 pm
9/10

If "The Prestige" and "The Social Network" had a great evening with a lot of cocaine that 9 months later led to a beautiful baby called "Oppenheimer".

Man what a ride - definitely in my top 4 Nolan-Films.
Like everyone else already said: Incredibly dense, fast paced, experimental, stellar performances (especially Murphy, RDJ and Blunt) and my favorite part: Jen Lames editing. I think after Murphys and RDJ noms her nom for editing is the most certain.

Favorite scene:
When Oppie addresses the whole Los Alomos team inside after the successful test and he has visions of burned bodies and other effects of the bombings.
10 times more effective than showing the bombings or their impact on Japan from their POV.
Definitely one my favorite Nolan endings.

My one small criticism:
The hearings are not "too much" but maybe "too much at once" because at the first viewing with all the awe that surrounds a Nolan-Premiere it can be hard to follow. Like I said "The Social Network" on steroids.
That's why it's maybe THE Nolan film that gets better after every new viewing.

Cinephiles, old school film fanatics and filmmakers will get an absolute kick out of this but I think with the general audience it will play out the same as with "Dunkirk"
90+ from critics and 80+ from the public.
I'm surprised slightly how MASSIVELY well it was received by the public as well. I think it is because of how insanely profoundly resonant the ending is and how it just glues the entire previous 2hrs and 59 minutes together in a mindblowingly emotional and intimate way.